PDA

View Full Version : cant get connected

bkjmaverick
30-06-2008, 12:45
hi all, i new to this forum, just need a bit of advice. Ive wth virgin media and since about friday have been having major trouble connecting to the internet. Ive got a EPC 2100rc modem and ever since friday, the cable light on the modem just blinks a few times after turning it on, then suddenly goes out and i have no internet. It worked a few times but since yesterday have not been able to get it to work. The pc light on the modem stays on to show its connected to the laptop but thats it, but it occasionally blinks 4 times, which i noticed it does this when the recieve light quickly flashes and goes out.

Ive tried turning it off and on, reseting, nothings worked, if i turn it off for a few hours along with the tv, the cable light comes on, but then goes back out again after a few mins. I thought they had restricted my service, but last time that happened the cable light flashed twice every 2 seconds. Now it just doesnt flash. I have seen it flash occasionally but no internet still. When I checked the connections tab on the laptop, its says its connected with no problems, also tried the repair option, but to no avail.

If any one could help me id be very appreciative. Thanks a lot

mentalis
30-06-2008, 12:49
Where are you located? Over the weekend in Warrington I had serious problems with the Internet connection. Went off Friday evening, came back Saturday morning, went off Saturday afternoon and came back Sunday evening.

Hopefully it's still working when I get back.

bkjmaverick
30-06-2008, 13:14
im in southend on sea in essex, i checked the service status thing on the virgin website but its says nothing about my area.

moaningmags
30-06-2008, 14:08
Phone tech support on 151 or 0845 454 1111
sounds like no upstream lock, normally caused by power levels outwith the acceptable range. Will more than likely need a tech visit.

bkjmaverick
30-06-2008, 18:58
ok il call them up and see what they say, what causes this to happen anyway? something ive done? or is it just broken?

moaningmags
30-06-2008, 22:48
Nothing you've done, unless you've been pulling the wires at the back of the modem or the wall, just one of those things.

LaineY
01-07-2008, 09:01
I aggree Mags lol iv been waiting on a replacement modem from VM for almost 4 weeks now and its still not appeared..

VM have my address wrong lol im in flat 18/3 and they have my address as 18/1

bkjmaverick
01-07-2008, 10:46
wud pulling on the cables be the reason for my troubles? cos my gf was moving stuff around in the flat the other day, cud of tugged on em. if the cable is the prob, cud i not jus go out and buy a new cable? save me waiting for vm tec guy to show up?

moaningmags
01-07-2008, 14:58
Check the connection at the wall and back of the modem, make sure they are both screwed in tight.
I wouldn't recommend buying your own, as if it goes wrong you'll be charged for the tech visit as you're not using VM's equipment.