PDA

View Full Version : MTU ,xbox 360 and virgin media please help

Johnboy07
29-06-2008, 18:54
Hi all,
Basically i want to get on live. And iv got stuck. Iv got my cable going straight from my tv set top box to the back of my 360 , our provider is virgin media ( but weve had it since it was ntl). It took me ages but i finally got the Ip adress section , and the DNS section of the test for live working perfectly. However the next test is the MTU test and i have no idea how to fix this. it just tells me its failed. I thought id ask on here because im not running it through the computer just from my set top box to the 360 so i dont understand how it fails this. Basically i want to know how to increase the mtu if it is possible to the acceptable amount. I dont know how this works and info on the net is a bit sketchy and seems aimed at people using routers or going through their pcs. Is it even possible to increase the mtu. Basically what do i do from here ???? Thanks any help greatly appreciated its been a frustrating day one prob after another.:td:

whydoIneedatech
29-06-2008, 19:09
Hi all,
Basically i want to get on live. And iv got stuck. Iv got my cable going straight from my tv set top box to the back of my 360 , our provider is virgin media ( but weve had it since it was ntl). It took me ages but i finally got the Ip adress section , and the DNS section of the test for live working perfectly. However the next test is the MTU test and i have no idea how to fix this. it just tells me its failed. I thought id ask on here because im not running it through the computer just from my set top box to the 360 so i dont understand how it fails this. Basically i want to know how to increase the mtu if it is possible to the acceptable amount. I dont know how this works and info on the net is a bit sketchy and seems aimed at people using routers or going through their pcs. Is it even possible to increase the mtu. Basically what do i do from here ???? Thanks any help greatly appreciated its been a frustrating day one prob after another.:td:

My recommendation would be for you to get upgraded to a Stand Alone Cable Modem as that STB you have will either be giving out only 1Mb if a standard connection or possibly up to 6Mb if its a Samsung, you will not get speeds faster than that.

If you are on say a Pace STB you will receive 1Mb, with a modem you can get up to 20Mb, ring Customer Services on 150 and get upgraded, plus if your STB goes wrong with a modem you will still have a connection.

gc10360
29-06-2008, 19:11
The only way you can change the MTU is with a router, i had the same problem when i first had my 360 at launch, i had to resort to connecting the 360 to my pc and the pc to the STB using the PC as a bridge to get on live, problem is the PC has to be switched on to use live, the best thing is to get a router, they're easy to set up and are quite reasonable really, you don't need a wireless one necessarily.

Johnboy07
29-06-2008, 22:06
My recommendation would be for you to get upgraded to a Stand Alone Cable Modem as that STB you have will either be giving out only 1Mb if a standard connection or possibly up to 6Mb if its a Samsung, you will not get speeds faster than that.

If you are on say a Pace STB you will receive 1Mb, with a modem you can get up to 20Mb, ring Customer Services on 150 and get upgraded, plus if your STB goes wrong with a modem you will still have a connection.

Right so you think if i ring virgin and ask for a new stb a more recent one will that help, is that wat you mean? . Weve still got the original ntl box from years ago. So is the MTU basically just your connection speed? Sorry for being thick

whydoIneedatech
29-06-2008, 22:54
Right so you think if i ring virgin and ask for a new stb a more recent one will that help, is that wat you mean? . Weve still got the original ntl box from years ago. So is the MTU basically just your connection speed? Sorry for being thick

What I am saying is you will get a better connection and be able to get higher speeds if you ask to be upgraded to a Modem you will not get a replacement STB for your internet.

Johnboy07
30-06-2008, 08:17
I get you, so ask for a modem.How much are virgin media doing those for or is it a free upgrade. Does the 360 live run at a greater mtu than the old xbox . cos i had the old xbox live for years without a hitch just from the set top box. Thanks for your help

haydnwalker
30-06-2008, 09:00
I get you, so ask for a modem.How much are virgin media doing those for or is it a free upgrade. Does the 360 live run at a greater mtu than the old xbox . cos i had the old xbox live for years without a hitch just from the set top box. Thanks for your help

If you phone them they should send you a modem out for free.

I had the same problem. My STB wouldn't let me get on Live so I asked virgin for a Standalone modem for my internet and then I bought a router so now I have live & about 3 PCs on my internet connection :)

I'm just getting the hang of XB Live...its not easy to handle when your used to windows :(

Johnboy07
30-06-2008, 19:35
Kool thanks lads for the help !

whydoIneedatech
30-06-2008, 19:46
Kool thanks lads for the help !

Let us know how you get on;)