PDA

View Full Version : Spotters again..

BuckleZ
28-06-2008, 15:22
Moving to a new apartment on Friday, rang VM to order and because the old house (Number 23) was gutted and made into 3 aparments (A, B, C) they dont have them on their checker and said they need to send a spotter.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/06/6.jpg

The red circle is where i'm moving, the yellow one has virgin media cables going up into the 3 floors.

Why can't Virgin just take your word, thats you can 100% get it.

I told them to check the postcode for other customers, but they won't listen.

I don't have much hope in a spotter from reading on here. I was told 10 days, but i seriously doubt it.

Stuart
28-06-2008, 15:53
:welcome: to the forum.

Virgin cannot take your word purely because if they install cable in a property they are not allowed to, they can be sued by the owners of the property.

There are also technical reasons why cabling the property may not be possible, which you (or any customer) may not be aware of.

The fact that the house next door can get it is irrelevant. For all they know, the house next door may be a totally seperate building, so, while it could have been practical to install cable there, it may not in your house.

Edit: Before you say it's terraced. Yes, I can see that. However, unless you had shown the photo, I would not know that, and in all likelyhood, Customer Services wouldn't either.

spiderplant
28-06-2008, 18:17
It's definitely a job for the spotters. Even before No. 23 was split into apartments, it didn't have cable available.

BuckleZ
28-06-2008, 19:39
How do you know this?

Because it isn't showing on the postcode checker? Number 22 doesn't show either, yet they have VM installed.

BuckleZ
28-06-2008, 22:16
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/06/5.jpg

Theres a better pic, as you can see number 22 the green block (flats a b and c) all have it, its the cable going up the left hand side of the building into each floor.

colin-bennett
28-06-2008, 23:19
The post office seem to have 23 as 1 property.
May be a good idea for your landlord to register the changes to the property with the post office,

In the old NTL days any thing seemed possible. I think you may find you will need the spotters and also the address will need to be registerd before services can be installed.
Hope the above helps

BuckleZ
28-06-2008, 23:24
I have sent the Post Office a request, using their form.

I have also emailed Neil Beckett, got a reply saying he has forwarded the information on to the correct people ( I know it wasn't him, just a team of his member) lol

Hopefully got the ball rolling now :) Thanks for the advice

colin-bennett
28-06-2008, 23:53
nice one
I hope all goes well with getting VM services,,

BuckleZ
28-06-2008, 23:56
Me too, Being my first place, funds are tight, and i'd rather get one of their bundles, than pay twice for the equivalent with BT/Sky etc.

Nothing is ever simple for me though :( haha!

jungleguy
29-06-2008, 09:50
Looks serve to me just hope there's a spotter working in your area.

Also if your on the top floor chances are they won't instal, health and safety.

BuckleZ
29-06-2008, 11:23
I'm on the first floor, i've been in contact with the Chief Executive's Office who is going to get the spotter out, as the first time i requested this was 7th June and still no word.

Hopefully now i'll get it checked ASAP

Admin Edit (Stuart): Please do not mention staff by name. If they wish their name to be published, they can register and do it themselves.

beatmywood@hotma
29-06-2008, 13:56
i dont know the full situation here but unless all flats are rented through the same person or company and owned individually you'll need the permission of the owners to run the cable, or you will find yourself to be held responsible for anything they are not happy with. as resale of the propertys will be affected by the works done.

BuckleZ
29-06-2008, 14:06
The 3 blocks are all owned by the same guy. And i have gotten permission for it to be done, as did the 3 flats (green ones)

BuckleZ
30-06-2008, 19:34
Went down today for a little look around, the 3 properties all have the little small sqaure covers in the ground at the wall, the green block has Virgin already in:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/06/1.jpg

So fingers crossed as soon as a spotter gets out should be fine.

BuckleZ
01-07-2008, 18:16
Got a Field Sales agent coming to speak with me now, got some good contacts in Virgin now, seems the easiest way is to find staff emails and pester them, Thats from Sunday til now to get an Order sorted.

Other option of Sales/Online form seems not to work

BuckleZ
10-07-2008, 12:22
Got installed this morning, all is well :)