PDA

View Full Version : Sky HD

mc999
28-06-2008, 00:20
im gettin an hd tv and at the moment have a sky + but i wont be able to see the channels in high defination if the sky box doesnt have a hdmi output?
If this is true then will i need to get the sky HD box?:confused:

Ben B
28-06-2008, 00:29
im gettin an hd tv and at the moment have a sky + but i wont be able to see the channels in high defination if the sky box doesnt have a hdmi output?

Yes, you will have to get a Sky HD box to view HD programmes but you will still be able to connect your standard Sky+ box via SCART to your TV to view programmes in SD.

Ben :)

Tezcatlipoca
28-06-2008, 00:31

It's not just that the Sky+ box has no HDMI output, it's also due to the simple fact that it is not HD at all anyway, & cannot actually view any of the HD channels.

Simply having an HD TV does not mean you can see the HD channels. To view HD digital satellite TV channels, you also need a compatible HD set-top box, e.g. Sky HD or Freesat HD.

mc999
28-06-2008, 00:34
Yes, you will have to get a Sky HD box to view HD programmes but you will still be able to connect your standard Sky+ box via SCART to your TV to view programmes in SD.

i have heard that doing that the images are not clear on a HD tv. Is that true?

Ben B
28-06-2008, 00:36

Yes to some extent it is because the box upscales SD content to near HD quality on a Sky HD box.

Tezcatlipoca
28-06-2008, 00:36

SD can look more crap on an HD TV, especially using SCART etc.

The Sky HD box can upscale the SD channels, over HDMI. Looks *much* better IMO than viewing the same SD channels connected via SCART & not upscaled (well, not upscaled by the box - the TV would do the upscaling if you connect an SD source in that way).

multiskilled
28-06-2008, 00:45
Don't forget the £10 extra subscription per month to to get the sky hd channels

mc999
28-06-2008, 00:46
so i should get the sky hd box then but the only problem with that is it is £300 plus another fee for viewing the hd channels every month on top of your monthly package?

multiskilled
28-06-2008, 00:54
Only you can decide whether the outlay is worth it. If your getting the hd tv anyway why not see if your happy with the picture quality with your existing set up before splashing out on sky a hd box.

Tezcatlipoca
28-06-2008, 01:02
Sky are rumoured to be slashing the Sky HD STB cost in July... £150 for new & existing customers (not including installation).

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-news-announcements/23404-1st-july-sky-hd-will-change-sky-hd.html

But yeah, there is still the Sky HD subscription (to become the "Sky HD Mix" in July) at £10 per month, if you want the various Sky HD channels.

Although BBC HD & C4 HD are totally free - no need for a Sky HD subscription for those. But... if you get a Sky HD box from Sky and do not take out a Sky HD subscription, Sky charge you the full whack for the box (£400 IIRC).[so for that route, it's much cheaper to get one off eBay or somewhere & self-install, or wait for the Freesat HD PVR if you want Sky+ type features but also want free HD channels)]

mc999
28-06-2008, 01:25
Sky are rumoured to be slashing the Sky HD STB cost in July... £150 for new & existing customers (not including installation).

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-news-announcements/23404-1st-july-sky-hd-will-change-sky-hd.html

But yeah, there is still the Sky HD subscription (to become the "Sky HD Mix" in July) at £10 per month, if you want the various Sky HD channels.

Although BBC HD & C4 HD are totally free - no need for a Sky HD subscription for those. But... if you get a Sky HD box from Sky and do not take out a Sky HD subscription, Sky charge you the full whack for the box (£400 IIRC).[so for that route, it's much cheaper to get one off eBay or somewhere & self-install, or wait for the Freesat HD PVR if you want Sky+ type features but also want free HD channels)]

the freesat HD PVR will only have the free channels you would normally get rite?
any suggestions for a LCD tv i should get which are good?

Tezcatlipoca
28-06-2008, 14:31
The only HD channels currently available on Freesat are BBC HD & ITV HD (with ITV HD actually an "interactive red button service" rather than a linear channel). I'd assume Freesat will also eventually get C4 HD.

Recommendations for an LCD TV... Personally, I'd say get a Samsung. have a look around the forum, there's been quite a few threads about TV recommendations.

mc999
28-06-2008, 21:37
The only HD channels currently available on Freesat are BBC HD & ITV HD (with ITV HD actually an "interactive red button service" rather than a linear channel). I'd assume Freesat will also eventually get C4 HD.

Recommendations for an LCD TV... Personally, I'd say get a Samsung. have a look around the forum, there's been quite a few threads about TV recommendations.

So with the sky hd box i can view all the channels in hd but hve to pay extra for the hd sky sports channel rite?

multiskilled
28-06-2008, 22:18
No you will only get the free to air channels, bbc hd & chan 4 hd, there may be some others, I suggest you check the sky site to see what's available.

Sky 1 hd and discovery hd etc, you will have to pay the £10 subscription to view.

ITV hd is not available on sky at the moment.

Any other channels will be sd but upscaled to by the sky box.

mc999
28-06-2008, 22:27
so basically the sky hd box will upscale the channels in near hd format which you get in sky+ box?

multiskilled
28-06-2008, 23:24
Yep, but some channels use low bit rates and will look c**p on a large screen tv,even after up scaling.

mc999
28-06-2008, 23:40
Yep, but some channels use low bit rates and will look c**p on a large screen tv,even after up scaling.

but better than using a sky+ box with a hd tv?

multiskilled
29-06-2008, 00:07
The up scaling doesn't improve the the bit rate as such, but increases the number of lines the picture is made up of.

If you sit further away from the screen you may not not notice the imperfections.Similarly to get the benefit of hd you have to sit closer to the screen.

Ben B
29-06-2008, 12:19
so basically the sky hd box will upscale the channels in near hd format which you get in sky+ box?

Yes, it will upscale SD and let you view the FTA HD channels in HD.

TraxData
30-06-2008, 21:34

I asked about it today while on the phone to Sky, got told that is a load of crap and the price isnt going to go down at all, wouldnt budge from £199 for me (even though we had an offer of £99+installation which they wouldnt stick to)...ended up cancelling all packages i was that annoyed :D (gfs house)

Tezcatlipoca
01-07-2008, 22:08
I asked about it today while on the phone to Sky, got told that is a load of crap and the price isnt going to go down at all, wouldnt budge from £199 for me (even though we had an offer of £99+installation which they wouldnt stick to)...ended up cancelling all packages i was that annoyed :D (gfs house)

Well, they would say that, wouldn't they, seeing as it was not yet July when you phoned ;)

Confirmed:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-news-announcements/23693-sky-pricing-roundup-july-2008-a.html

Check the Sky website...

http://packages.sky.com/buy

TraxData
01-07-2008, 23:16
Well, they would say that, wouldn't they, seeing as it was not yet July when you phoned ;)

Confirmed:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-news-announcements/23693-sky-pricing-roundup-july-2008-a.html

Check the Sky website...

http://packages.sky.com/buy

Ah well, too late, lost my custom now, they should learn to treat customers better.

mc999
07-07-2008, 16:29
what is needed for the sky hd-720,1080i or 1080p for the lcd tv?

multiskilled
07-07-2008, 18:53
1080i Is the maximum resolution of broadcasts at the moment, Most people will not be see a difference between 720p and 1080i at normal viewing distance.The sky box will either downscale or upscale depending on tv,and broadcast material.

Blue ray dvd players and some games machines will output at 1080p, so 1080p lcd tv's are worth considering if you might be getting either of these in the future.

Losttheplot
07-07-2008, 19:53
1080i Is the maximum resolution of broadcasts at the moment, Most people will not be see a difference between 720p and 1080i at normal viewing distance.The sky box will either downscale or upscale depending on tv,and broadcast material.

Blue ray dvd players and some games machines will output at 1080p, so 1080p lcd tv's are worth considering if you might be getting either of these in the future.

All HD broadcasts are 1080i, nobody yet seems to have gone the 720p route.
Additionally, as all LCD and plasma screens are by design progressive, you will struggle (but they do seem to exist) to find a 1080 line screen which doesn't support 1080p.
I would not buy a screen now that would not support 1080p, altho for now I'm told that I'm happy enough with our 28inch CRT. :o:

mc999
07-07-2008, 23:06

i do have a ps3 but the tv is going to be used mainly for watching the sky. should i then forget the 1080p and will this lcd tv be fine-http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2081904104.121546752 0@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceeadeeidledjjcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=12&sm=0&tm=1&sku=935401&category_oid=
?

Tezcatlipoca
07-07-2008, 23:07
I'd say go for 1080p - especially as you have a PS3.

mc999
07-07-2008, 23:28
wudnt tht mean the sky hd channels cant cope with the 1080p since it broadcasts at 1080i?

multiskilled
08-07-2008, 18:54
A 1080p tv will cope with a 1080i input no problem, and you will be able to use the full potential of the 1080p output of your ps3.

mc999
08-07-2008, 19:24
any ideas on what lcd tvs are good to buylike would samsung be good?

Tezcatlipoca
08-07-2008, 20:13
Samsung are very good.

Also Toshiba, Sony (although with Sony you seem to pay more for the name).

Samsung & Toshiba do some very nice 1080p TVs. I'll have a look for some links.

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

oh, what size TV are you looking for, & what sort of budget?