PDA

View Full Version : NTL/Telewest business install

ccarmock
27-06-2008, 22:11
After having read a bit here and on their website I had decided to go with NTL Business service - 10Mb/s with fixed IP address and phone.

Whiel this is a business service they had no issue in taking an order from me, as a home worker, they simply put my name in the company field and did a credit check against me as sopposed to a company name.

I have to say I was very impressed with the way the order was handled. It was then passed over to provisions and a chap called James there is handling it for me. Interestingly he said he was from Telewest. So they still use the older branding in some cases. I know the business service hasn't rebranded Virgin yet.

I got a call last week to find out when I was available this week for a pre-install survey. They had a fairly flexible schedule, but the earliest I could do was today.

Sure enough I got a call today to confirm they were coming round and to give me an approximate time and to check that was convenient.

After two people arrived they started to check the duct to the front of the house and pulled a rope through to the footway box and then to the green box, which in my cause is across the road. They then confirmed where I wanted the sevrices inside. He already knew I wanted the service installing into the loft space, which is a study. That was on the notes from when I mentioned it to the provisions team. I had been concerned after having heard they will work to a max of 2m. However they confirmed today that where I need the service is not a problem at all.

After doing some work in the green box they came back to give me an update. They have to get the network team to do a small dig across the front garden thankfully there is earht there so they don't need to pull up any blockwork etc - to install what they called an extended T.

They confirmed they had left a rope in place from the duct at the front of the garden through to the green box and the duct is clear all the way so no issues there.

However they had been testing the 50 pair phone link cable from the mux further up the road (I think) to the green box and can't find a good pair of cables for the phone install, so they passed that to the network team to investigate.

They then told me they'd pass details back to provisions who will arrange for the install. He said hopefully the 50 pair cable issue would be resolved quickly by networks.

In fact later today I saw someone else with the green box open and looked like they were testing things so maybe they're onto that already.

So far so good. I'll report back ont he next step on this if people are interested.

So far I am very impressed with the way it's gone.

Tezcatlipoca
27-06-2008, 22:15
Nice to hear a positive story ;) :)

I hope the rest goes as smoothly.

Moved to the Installation forum, btw.

Kymmy
28-06-2008, 21:45
Earlier this year I posted a full Residential to Business migration report and I too found the business install to be very professional.

The only worry I have is the same as posted in a few business BB threads and that is issues like the Sticky IP's (which are still dynamic) and the fact that it seems as though VM will be introducing STM to a business account soon (anyone would think that all businesses are 9am-5pm?????)

Kymmy

ccarmock
05-07-2008, 14:02
I had a call back from NTL/Telewest business this week to apologise but there is going to be a delay of 4 weeks for them to provide the service. They have checked out the problem with the 50 pair cable from the MUX to the green box over the road and have confirmed it's damaged and needs to be replaced. However this involves permission from the local council as a road closure overnight may be required and that takes about 3 weeks. They are going to look into the possibility of providing the cable modem service now and phone later though.

While it's a shame there is a delay, it's out of their control, and I am still impressed by the way they are keeping me up to date. I have the direct number of the person handling it all for me and he promises to keep me updated.

colin-bennett
05-07-2008, 20:58
Earlier this year I posted a full Residential to Business migration report and I too found the business install to be very professional.

The only worry I have is the same as posted in a few business BB threads and that is issues like the Sticky IP's (which are still dynamic) and the fact that it seems as though VM will be introducing STM to a business account soon (anyone would think that all businesses are 9am-5pm?????)

Kymmy
Hi
Please confirm the fact that busines will have STM introduced. Any link would be appreciated to back up this fact.

Kymmy
05-07-2008, 21:50
:rolleyes::rolleyes:Hmmm, so the term "THE FACT THAT IT SEEMS" is just turned into "THE FACT":rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kymmy

Maggy
05-07-2008, 21:55
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33631967-vm-business-stm.html

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34568763-post15.html

The later in particular seems to be fairly definite.

colin-bennett
06-07-2008, 22:18
:rolleyes::rolleyes:Hmmm, so the term "THE FACT THAT IT SEEMS" is just turned into "THE FACT":rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kymmy

The MOD Rob advised it was ok to highlight contents within a post to make a point.. I think that is all I did. You made the coment FACT not me.

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33631967-vm-business-stm.html

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34568763-post15.html

The later in particular seems to be fairly definite.

You are Joking.

You link me to thread. This thread has not substance.
Please Link me to a VM statemenet.

Sirius
06-07-2008, 22:36
The MOD Rob advised it was ok to highlight contents within a post to make a point.. I think that is all I did. You made the coment FACT not me.

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

You are Joking.

You link me to thread. This thread has not substance.
Please Link me to a VM statemenet.

I know you will not believe this but.

I know a good few engineers and managers in NTL-Telewest Business and they have told me that there is STM being applied to all Business cable modems from the beginning of this month. I will see if they are willing to give me more info tomorrow.

colin-bennett
06-07-2008, 22:47
I know you will not believe this but.

I know a good few engineers and managers in NTL-Telewest Business and they have told me that there is STM being applied to all Business cable modems from the beginning of this month. I will see if they are willing to give me more info tomorrow.

It's not that I do not believe you It's just I am waiting for a VM statement.

Maggy
06-07-2008, 23:55

Then I suggest you approach Virgin Media direct then...

colin-bennett
07-07-2008, 19:19
Then I suggest you approach Virgin Media direct then...
Hmmmm.
I was not the one suggesting a change to VM business T&C's.
I was just making a point that to imply this was a fact and would happen needed some substance as indeed MOD's often request from other posts.
Your substance was to point me to a thread with no substance ??..
I am not a business account and do not need to contact VM.
There is enough hearsay on here without the MOD's adding to it.

JohnHorb
07-07-2008, 20:14

I thought the business service was still NTL/Telewest, NOT VM?

Edit - the small print on the web page does state 'Part of the Virgin Media Group'

Edit 2 - Not a VM statement, but...

http://insidevirgin.blogspot.com/2008/05/ntltelewest-business-to-launch-20mb.html

cybernetic_tiger
07-07-2008, 22:12
Its quite clear in the FUP and could be implemented at any time :

7 Fair Usage Policy
7.1 The Internet and Broadband networks are monitored to ensure that the available network bandwidth is
shared fairly between all subscribers. Where excessive and prolonged use of the service by an
individual subscriber is detected, constraints on that subscriber allocated bandwidth may be applied to
alleviate congestion on the network for other users of the service.

Kymmy
08-07-2008, 09:13

And if anyone is to highlight comments shouldn't the whole relevant comment be highlighted and not just the words that's relevant to someones own viewpoint???

Now a general comment not aimed at anyone in particular

Now I can't really be bothered to play this little game, there's enough threads from a few different reputable people on CF regarding the distinct fact that it SEEMS as though VM will implement it on business accounts... Not everything implemented by VM/NTL/C&W/BY/TW has been wrote down in black and white until after the fact.... Also as the last post states the business FUP clearly states that VM may take "constraints on that subscriber allocated bandwidth " which in VM's past actions has been STM

Kymmy

colin-bennett
08-07-2008, 11:29
And if anyone is to highlight comments shouldn't the whole relevant comment be highlighted and not just the words that's relevant to someones own viewpoint???

Now a general comment not aimed at anyone in particular

Now I can't really be bothered to play this little game, there's enough threads from a few different reputable people on CF regarding the distinct fact that it SEEMS as though VM will implement it on business accounts... Not everything implemented by VM/NTL/C&W/BY/TW has been wrote down in black and white until after the fact.... Also as the last post states the business FUP clearly states that VM may take "constraints on that subscriber allocated bandwidth " which in VM's past actions has been STM

Kymmy
Firstly may I Apologise if I have upset the MOD's. It was not my Intention to do so.
Hopefully I will not get a warning for this post...
It was the MOD ROB who advised it was ok to highlight.
His comments ..

"highlighted the aspect of the post that the respondent considered was worthy of discussion"..

I did disagree but as a mod i complied..

Now I am told something differnt.
However again I will comply

Any way back on to the thread before I get a warning .
It is all well and good to Speculate with regard to traffic management..
VM need new business customers and if any were to read this thread they would assume it to be correct.
I am only putting my point of view on the forum and as many on here I do hope this thread to be only speculation.

Kymmy
08-07-2008, 11:48
"highlighted the aspect of the post that the respondent considered was worthy of discussion"..

But if you are going to highlight an aspect of a post it has to be a full aspect and not some section of it which on it's own has a totally different meaning.

The term "THE FACT THAT IT SEEMS" is totally different to "THE FACT" and by using the latter you are totally twisting the meaning of the quote....

Try fully rereading the posts and you might actually find that the term is in support of your point of view and not against it.

Now please lets get back onto the OP's original point, make our own views on the matter and not try to discredit another persons viewpoint when it is simply that...

Kymmy

colin-bennett
08-07-2008, 12:02
But if you are going to highlight an aspect of a post it has to be a full aspect and not some section of it which on it's own has a totally different meaning.

The term "THE FACT THAT IT SEEMS" is totally different to "THE FACT" and by using the latter you are totally twisting the meaning of the quote....

Try fully rereading the posts and you might actually find that the term is in support of your point of view and not against it.

Now please lets get back onto the OP's original point, make our own views on the matter and not try to discredit another persons viewpoint when it is simply that...

Kymmy

I did get back on to the thread which you have now taken us of ???
i did APOLOGIES !!!!!!
I did say I would comply ?????????/
What more do I need to do ??????????????????

Kymmy
08-07-2008, 12:10
I was just pointing out that the original mods request was right when taken in context, nothing more nothing less... ;)

As far as speculation on STM for business accounts only time will tell, I think the major problem is the ammount of residential customers who went over the the business side to avoid STM... In reality business customers on this sort of line wouldn't be major downloaders but more uploaders, I use my business line for hosting websites and an email server though I will admit to using it on the newsgroups daily...BUT I do restrict my newsgroups downloading to mornings only and throttle it at 4Mb otherwise i know I'll affect my webserver response.

Kymmy

colin-bennett
08-07-2008, 12:39
Kymmy
I agree
In fact I have often thought much of the traffic management has been due to businesses using residential accounts.
eg
Residential customer requesting info on using 2 servers. Eventually told us they on "BE" but having problems.
Req in depth info on mail servers and how we managed these thru and if we may see these as spam thru our network. Also req info which would only apply to business users . They were hosting with a mail server but would not agree it was a business.
I do not know if this sort of residential user is affecting business ??
May be a point for discussion tho

indie1982
28-07-2008, 13:49
Can I just ask, what have people been charged for a business BB install? We're about to have a site survey and have been quoted £199 for the actual install even though we have NTL phone/ISDN lines. I know they'll have to run the cable to the premise but it seems steep!

Kymmy
28-07-2008, 15:04
I was charged £59 (that included £10 for the sticky IPs), that was for a business 10Mb with phone line. I already have a VM cable hence the low price.

If I didn;t want the phone then it would have cost £109 and if I didn't already have the cable it would have been £159...(all prices include the £10 for sticky IPs)

Not sure why yours is so expensive at £199, ask them for a breakdown and also perhaps ask them if it's any cheaper with the phone line (even if you don't use it as the line rental is covered by the cable costs)

Also perhaps it might be cheaper to get residential installed first and then transfer to business as they waive the cancellation charge if it's being transfered to thier business side.

Kymmy

ccarmock
28-07-2008, 20:48
I am beign charged £99 with a phone line or £159 if I elect not to have the phone line. In an ex-Telewest area the £10 fixed IP address charge is a per month charge tho!

Kymmy
28-07-2008, 20:53
I'd recheck on the £10 a month for fixed IP's as it's the same company although maybe a different network.

Kymmy

ccarmock
29-07-2008, 21:11
Hi Kymmy. They confirmed that with them as I originally understood it was a one off £10 charge. They confirmed it was correct. I am on ex-Telewest, which I gather handles fixed IP addresses better than the EX-NTL network, maybe that's the reason for the different charging.

As far as I am aware fixed IP on business accounts on the Telewest network do have a reverse DNS entry set and the range used is different to that used for Dynamic allocation.

I believe DHCP is still sued to actually issue them though. As soon as my install goes through I'l be able to confirm.

They have to replace a 50 pair cable feeding phone services to the green box across the road before they can proceed.

Kymmy
29-07-2008, 22:11
Yeah I knew that TW uses a different allocation as it been discussed before, but even so the dhcp still only has to be programmed once just the same as ex-NTL...

Perhaps others on a telewest fixed Ip can confirm either way.

Also with installation I paid £20 to have VM residential BB and phone installed, then a month later paid £49 to have them both converted to business BB ;) One way of getting the install cheaper (with another £10 as discussed for the sticky IP's)

ccarmock
13-08-2008, 10:22
Well having spoken to the installations team on Monday they tell me that the work to pull a new 50 pair cable for telephone service into the green box serving my area has been completed so I've been booked in for an installation tomorrow.

However being a business install they carried out a survey and told me that I needed an 'extended Tee' installing which would be handled by the network team.

As I understand it this is the duct they they will bury in the front garden.

When talkign to installations on Monday I mentioned this and he thought it had been done (which it hasn't), he said in that case they will do it on the day of installation and he's booked 2 people for 4 hours for the job.

So my question is do they have a seperate team to pull the coax from the green box through to the duct at the front (which currently has a rope run through it) and bury a duct in the garden? Or does all that get done by the same team that will install the service internally?

ccarmock
14-08-2008, 16:06
Well the installation of my business service went very well today. Two installation engineers arrived just after 10am and started the work. Very neat install the cable was fully buried and a very neat job made of the external box.

Also no issue running the cables up to the loft (office room up there).

All in all they were here for around 2.5 hours in total.

The modem they have installed is a Scientific Atlanta 2100.

I didn't need to register the routers MAC address with a website to get the fixed IP address - that was automatic. As others have mentioned ex-telewest handle fixed IP addresses differently to ex-NTL. I do have a reverse DNS entry for mine of the form:
host-80-xx-xx-xx.static.telewest.net which should avoid issues with things like SORBS etc.

Having checked the modems status page I must admit I am surprised at some of the values- particulalry downstream power:-

Downstream Status Operational
Channel ID 7
Downstream Frequency 339000000 Hz
Modulation 256QAM
Bit Rate 10240000 bits/sec
Power Level 17.6 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio 42.4 dB

Upstream Status Operational
Channel ID 2
Upstream Frequency 22200000 Hz
Modulation QPSK
Bit Rate 769000 bits/sec
Power Level 39.0 dBmV

Should I be bothered about that? everything seems to be working well and so far performance has been excellent - 9.8 Mb/s downstream

cybernetic_tiger
14-08-2008, 21:27
If it aint broke... don't fix it!

ccarmock
14-08-2008, 21:42
Thats my view too - though 17.6 dBmV seems high for downstream.... but as I said it's working fine!