PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling Virgin Media.

Swoosh
27-06-2008, 12:55
I have a bit of a problem with Virgin Media, I am currently signed up to a 12 month contract which I want to cancel due to poor service.
This sounds simple enough but… I moved into my new house about 13 months ago, there was already virgin media installed. They would not let me cancel this contract and get one out in my name so wanting internet, TV and broadband I continued paying the contact. I even managed to get my name put on there system.

I then wanted to upgrade to 20MB broadband and managed this no problem and were put in a 12-month contact. This I did not mind at the time as the internet seemed to be ok up until then.
Since then the broadband has been down at least once a month and we have had an engineer out twice now. It has something to do with the signal travelling up the wire.

My internet has now been down 2 weeks (on Monday). I have waiting a week for an engineer to come; they were at my house this morning.
They had a look at my computer and connection point in the house then disappeared outside. They then dug a whole in my neighbour’s garden (She loves her garden and will flip when she gets back from work) and told us we would require a completely new wire connection from the street box to my house. This will cost £75. No chance can I afford to or want to pay for that. He also informed us as he left the house that there was a £30 call out charge, I certainly aint paying that either. If he told me there was a call out charge I would have told him were to go.

So not only have I been told my internet wont work unless I pay them £105 plus my monthly bills. I have been paying for it each month and it has not worked around half the time. Plus the added fact that they are throttling me from 20MB to 5MB for the same price.

I am told there will be cancellation charges, is there any way around this? Either way I still have the problem of not being the contract holder.
I am about ready just to tell them to cancel then cancelling my direct debits then sending any mail I receive back to them.

Thanks

S~

Florence
27-06-2008, 13:17
Write to them telling them they are breaking the contract since they are failing to deliver your internet to you and wish the account cancelled without any further charges to you or a deadlock letter allowing you to go to their ADR to have this sorted out.

If VM dug up a neighbours garden without their permission then VM might have a small claims court action for damages.

Send all letters by recorded post keeping acopy of letters might be worth sending a copy to VM ADR which can be found somewhere on their website.

broadbandbug
27-06-2008, 13:33
I have a bit of a problem with Virgin Media, I am currently signed up to a 12 month contract which I want to cancel due to poor service.
This sounds simple enough but… I moved into my new house about 13 months ago, there was already virgin media installed. They would not let me cancel this contract and get one out in my name so wanting internet, TV and broadband I continued paying the contact. I even managed to get my name put on there system.

I then wanted to upgrade to 20MB broadband and managed this no problem and were put in a 12-month contact. This I did not mind at the time as the internet seemed to be ok up until then.
Since then the broadband has been down at least once a month and we have had an engineer out twice now. It has something to do with the signal travelling up the wire.

My internet has now been down 2 weeks (on Monday). I have waiting a week for an engineer to come; they were at my house this morning.
They had a look at my computer and connection point in the house then disappeared outside. They then dug a whole in my neighbour’s garden (She loves her garden and will flip when she gets back from work) and told us we would require a completely new wire connection from the street box to my house. This will cost £75. No chance can I afford to or want to pay for that. He also informed us as he left the house that there was a £30 call out charge, I certainly aint paying that either. If he told me there was a call out charge I would have told him were to go.

So not only have I been told my internet wont work unless I pay them £105 plus my monthly bills. I have been paying for it each month and it has not worked around half the time. Plus the added fact that they are throttling me from 20MB to 5MB for the same price.

I am told there will be cancellation charges, is there any way around this? Either way I still have the problem of not being the contract holder.
I am about ready just to tell them to cancel then cancelling my direct debits then sending any mail I receive back to them.

Thanks

S~

Any replacement of cabling from the street to your home that is not due to your own intervention, ie. You put your garden spade/fork through it. should be rectified as a fault and not cost you anything..

If you want to re-consider leaving and get your service restored instead, drop an email to neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk. Now I know people will shout that the CEO has more important things to do etc.. But your email will be passed to Wythenshaw CEO COmplaints Dept.. They will take ownership of your problem and get it sorted out.

However if you still want to leave, I would suggest you email the same but giving your reasons why you want to leave and they should also be able to sort that out for you.

Swoosh
27-06-2008, 13:48
Write to them telling them they are breaking the contract since they are failing to deliver your internet to you and wish the account cancelled without any further charges to you or a deadlock letter allowing you to go to their ADR to have this sorted out.

If VM dug up a neighbours garden without their permission then VM might have a small claims court action for damages.

Send all letters by recorded post keeping acopy of letters might be worth sending a copy to VM ADR which can be found somewhere on their website.

My neighbour will no doubt be at the door asking what happened as one of the other nosey neighbours no doubt spotted the guy digging her lawn up.

What is VM ADR?

Will they still allow me to cancel my contract even though I am not the original contract holder? My name is nowhere on the contract but I was some how able to take out a contract under someone else’s name that no longer lives there. Do not know how I done it but at the time i was just happy I had broadband ect.

Any replacement of cabling from the street to your home that is not due to your own intervention, ie. You put your garden spade/fork through it. should be rectified as a fault and not cost you anything..

If you want to re-consider leaving and get your service restored instead, drop an email to neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk. Now I know people will shout that the CEO has more important things to do etc.. But your email will be passed to Wythenshaw CEO COmplaints Dept.. They will take ownership of your problem and get it sorted out.

However if you still want to leave, I would suggest you email the same but giving your reasons why you want to leave and they should also be able to sort that out for you.

The problem is definitely not mine; I have not done any garden work in the front garden for a long time bar cutting the grass.
I believe that this is normal ware and tare.

I could email the above email address but unsure what good it will do.
I am on a work computer now and on holiday for the next 2 weeks.
Therefore, will no doubt have any access to the internet at all?

I am not interested in getting my internet renewed as after a couple of hours I end up paying for 20MB broadband but only receive 5MB. Just not good, enough when working with allot of databases and other family members playing online games.
Would prefer to pay for 5MB else where than pay for 20MB and get 5MB

S~

sstainer
27-06-2008, 13:56
i'd email them and state along side your main reasons a contact number also state due to internet not working no use them emailing you

Swoosh
27-06-2008, 19:52
Will be emailing Virgin Tomorrow, but still unsure what I can say?
It will end up turning into a big rant.
But I’ve already put the works into motion for other services.

Called BT and O2 today. BT phone line will be active on Tuesday, O2 can offer me speeds of around 11.2MBs for £10. Better than the 5MB I get with Virgin for £38. Can’t believe I’ve been paying this much. Will be cutting all ties with Virgin as I am going with the Sky TV package too.
Looking forward to Sky One.

Any one ever used O2, are they any good?

Also does anyone know where I would find a list of exchanges?

Thanks,

S~

Florence
27-06-2008, 20:03
If contract is not in your name then VM cannot keep you to it, actually suprised you were able to do all you have they must be getting really bad on data protection.

sstainer
27-06-2008, 20:49
Also does anyone know where I would find a list of exchanges?

Thanks,

S~

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

here looks ideal

FaultsGuru
30-06-2008, 16:06
Hi Swoosh,

There are 3 easy ways to get in touch with Virgin media to make a complaint. I would say the easiest and fastest is via email with most emails responded with 48 working hours. Please find the following link to their contact us page:

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/contact/complaint-feedback.php (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/contact/complaint-feedback.php)

Email Form:

https://help2.virginmedia.com/assets/customer_zone/complaintformCZ.html (https://help2.virginmedia.com/assets/customer_zone/complaintformCZ.html)

A member of their e-contact team will liaise with you via email. Please ensure that you give them a daytime telephone number and ask them to call you back. I beleive it is always better to talk to a real person...

Hope this helps, they helped me... and now I am happy ;)

LostintheNW
01-07-2008, 08:28
Hi Swoosh,

There are 3 easy ways to get in touch with Virgin media to make a complaint. I would say the easiest and fastest is via email with most emails responded with 48 working hours. Please find the following link to their contact us page:

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/contact/complaint-feedback.php (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/contact/complaint-feedback.php)

Email Form:

https://help2.virginmedia.com/assets/customer_zone/complaintformCZ.html (https://help2.virginmedia.com/assets/customer_zone/complaintformCZ.html)

A member of their e-contact team will liaise with you via email. Please ensure that you give them a daytime telephone number and ask them to call you back. I beleive it is always better to talk to a real person...

Hope this helps, they helped me... and now I am happy ;)

Lol work for Virgin I take it? other than that you live in a dream world stating its better to talk to a person who works there....sorry but India callling is not a way to get a problem resolved. The only way to get anything done in this company is to start at the top and work your way down shouting at everyone in turn as its the only language they understand.

OP e-mail the CEO its your best bet, stuff the contact forms on VM's pages they don't ever respond to those!

Florence
01-07-2008, 15:18
Lol work for Virgin I take it? other than that you live in a dream world stating its better to talk to a person who works there....sorry but India callling is not a way to get a problem resolved. The only way to get anything done in this company is to start at the top and work your way down shouting at everyone in turn as its the only language they understand.

OP e-mail the CEO its your best bet, stuff the contact forms on VM's pages they don't ever respond to those!

I might be doing that if I get no reply to my snmails mail letter aboutt he last bill and so called claiming back discounts.. Had they completed a task I requested last year there would be no discounts to claim back. Ahh well they certainly made sure I would never consider moving back to them in the future if phorm died.