PDA

View Full Version : New VM Modem problem

Neil41
26-06-2008, 04:28
I've been a customer since the Telewest days with an old but reliable SB4100 that had to be replaced recently. VM posted a new Ambit 256 and after registering it's MAC address with them over the phone I tested it was working with one of my PC's. Everything seemed fine and so I shut it down and switched off the modem to set up my Netgear WGR614v6 router. Now what I can't do is get the modem to accept anything but the MAC address of the network card of the first PC. I can get the router working by having it use that MAC address but not it's own or any other PC.

I know it's hardly a major issue but surely the thing should accept the MAC of the first thing it finds after powering up.

Signal levels seem normal on the modem and otherwise it seems to behave fine despite looking rather cheap and nasty.

It simply refuses to work unless what it's connected to is set to use that particular MAC address which at the moment isn't a problem but could be in future.

Has anyone got any ideas before I start with the joyful process of trying to get VM to help while avoiding all mention of the terrible word 'router' which sets them into such a tizzy?

Neil

piggy
26-06-2008, 09:17
i would carry on, like you say its not a problem yet. if the internet works direct from the modem dont ring vm as its a issue with the router

whydoIneedatech
26-06-2008, 11:13
I've been a customer since the Telewest days with an old but reliable SB4100 that had to be replaced recently. VM posted a new Ambit 256 and after registering it's MAC address with them over the phone I tested it was working with one of my PC's. Everything seemed fine and so I shut it down and switched off the modem to set up my Netgear WGR614v6 router. Now what I can't do is get the modem to accept anything but the MAC address of the network card of the first PC. I can get the router working by having it use that MAC address but not it's own or any other PC.

I know it's hardly a major issue but surely the thing should accept the MAC of the first thing it finds after powering up.

Signal levels seem normal on the modem and otherwise it seems to behave fine despite looking rather cheap and nasty.

It simply refuses to work unless what it's connected to is set to use that particular MAC address which at the moment isn't a problem but could be in future.

Has anyone got any ideas before I start with the joyful process of trying to get VM to help while avoiding all mention of the terrible word 'router' which sets them into such a tizzy?

Neil

How old is the router and have you tried re installing it and doing a pinhole reset on it the round hole by the antenna while it is switched on.

From what you say the modem is working perfectly.

Neil41
26-06-2008, 16:41
Working yes, but hardly perfectly if it won't release and take a new MAC as it isn't just the router. It also acts the same with a spare Linksys and directly connected to any other computer. Surely it can't fixate on a single MAC when it should release and then accept the address of a new computer as a matter of routine? They dumped registering MAC addy's a long time ago even if I had given them one to work with.

Neil

MovedGoalPosts
26-06-2008, 16:48
If powering off the modem, and connecting a different computer via ethernet direct to the modem won't work (the PC is set to dynamically accept IPs), then the modem has a settings fault. You should be contacting broadband tech support. Ignore the router issue, just report it that you cannot swap between computer A and computer B even when you've rebooted the modem.

Neil41
26-06-2008, 18:56
Yes it seems it's out of my hands then and I'll have to get on to them in the morning which at least now is a freephone number. Thanks for having a look at my problem anyway but now it seems it's down to me persuading them to look for a fault at their end.

Neil

whydoIneedatech
26-06-2008, 19:24
Yes it seems it's out of my hands then and I'll have to get on to them in the morning which at least now is a freephone number. Thanks for having a look at my problem anyway but now it seems it's down to me persuading them to look for a fault at their end.

Neil

Update us please as thats an unusual fault

moaningmags
26-06-2008, 21:23
Unless he's on a ubr which only allows one mac per modem in which case it's a call to 2nd line or modem off for a good few hours.