PDA

View Full Version : Sync issues

Timeless
25-06-2008, 05:07
heres the general situation.

lve just changed from my old Netgear DG834G to a DG834N due to wireless issues, my old network was dropping all the time recently due to low signal.. now lm getting a pretty good wireless connection that l cant complain too much about...

now l didnt test my sync speed before l changed the modem however l generally limit myself between 4pm and 12am regardless, so l took that chance where l generally make the least use of the internet to change over modems, after connecting up, upgrading the firmware, and connecting it to the phone line my sync speed started to show as 400, which is a far cry from around the 900/1024 region l usualy get, turns out after a BT speed test my IP profile is now 200kbps as well.. l will apend my stats below, l know they are pretty crappy however up til earlier l was sustaining around 1meg speed

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 384 kbps 448 kbps Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db Noise Margin 7.1 db 11.0 db
IP Profile:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 250 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 480 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 196 kbps
(its dropped since l took this test, bt seems to have issues with me trying another test saying l need to wait 3 hours even tho its been more than that since l ran one)

lm contemplating returning back to a fixed speed service because its redicueless having an upload speed thats faster than my download..

any information would be greatly appreciated as ld prefer to get at least a reasonable download speed back.

ceedee
25-06-2008, 07:03
Sounds to me like you need to allow more time for your BRAS profile to improve after switching modems.

From "Improving your ADSL Max Broadband connection" (http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/adslmax/): If you have a 'low sync event' - which means for whatever reason you connect lower than normal (Bad weather, Damaged line, Router on the blink, BT up your pole!) then your BRAS profile will be reduced accordingly. Now if you manage to re-connect at a higher or normal rate, your BRAS profile will take between 3 hours and 5 days (it's normally 3 days) to return to normal!

So if something has caused you to have a low connection, you should check that your connection speed (Sync) is back to normal and then all you can do is wait for around 3 days for your BRAS profile to increase and give you your normal speed back. If you can't manage to get your normal sync back there may be a line problem - see below.

Timeless
25-06-2008, 08:38
someone told me it only took a day to come back..

Timeless
29-06-2008, 10:31
just thought ld add an update to this topic, it was a really silly thing and lve solved the issue..

l didnt think until someone suggested the filter.. you see when l changed to my DG834N and l thought ld change to the brand new filter as well seems the brand new filter was the issue, changed back to the old one and my modem immediately synced at 1024, which is a far cry from the 300 l was getting within 3 hours l was back at normal speed... which l might add is amazing considering l live 9km from the exchange.

long story short, always check the filters too.