PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace internal cable

Wario22
24-06-2008, 14:03
Hi,

Just moved into a new house where previous residents had VirginMedia already installed.

Seems when they moved out they ripped the modem off the cable and snapped the central wire. I guessing this is ehat happened as the central wire is only about 2-3mm long compared to every other cable I've seen where is sticks out over the end of the plug. Would probably a fairly simple job to remove the plug and strip the cable back but as I don't have required tools it will be easier to just replace the cable.

You may have guessed from my descriptions above that I know nothing about cabling!! Now for the dumb questions:

What kind of cable do I need? I've done a bit of googling and think it might be an RG-6 coax cable but have also seen lots of talk of CT-100 and WF-100...

Oh - and a link to a UK-based online shop to get a 10m cable cheap would be great!

Please help!

Thanks,
W.

Wicked_and_Crazy
24-06-2008, 14:22
If your going to use the VM service you will need to get it set up for you. Phone CS to do this and you can tell them the state of the cable and they will send an eng out.

Wario22
24-06-2008, 14:31
If your going to use the VM service you will need to get it set up for you. Phone CS to do this and you can tell them the state of the cable and they will send an eng out.

Thanks for the reply however VM is all set-up and working fine.

The cable that looks damaged is a secondary one the previous tenants obviously got the intaller to run through part of the flat and it's this one I want to connect via.

Surely Virgin will charge for replacing a cable that I can replace myself...

cimt
24-06-2008, 15:53
I don't think they'd charge you because it wasn't you that ripped it out.

Mr_love_monkey
24-06-2008, 16:28
I don't think they'd charge you because it wasn't you that ripped it out.

There's only his word for that... given he's already signed up, and is using cable - if he was now to phone up and say 'oh by the way, this cable is broken...' people might think it's a bit strange it wasn't mentioned before.

(I'm not saying he is lying - I just think people probably pull all sorts of fast ones to avoid the call out fee)

Wario22
24-06-2008, 16:50
There's only his word for that... given he's already signed up, and is using cable - if he was now to phone up and say 'oh by the way, this cable is broken...' people might think it's a bit strange it wasn't mentioned before.

(I'm not saying he is lying - I just think people probably pull all sorts of fast ones to avoid the call out fee)

Exactly!

I'm sure they'd say they're only commited to provide a guarantee for the work at the time of installation and as full service is being provided, replacing the 'second' cable (which appeared to be working when I view the flat before the tenant's moved out) would be at charge to me.

The reason I've only just attempted to use the 'second' cable is because I've bought a wireless router and need it located in the middle of the flat.

Anyway, if someone can advise what cable I need and where I can get a 10m one from cheaply I'd much appreciated it!

Jonnymeg
24-06-2008, 17:11
If you don't have the tools to replace the connector how are you going to fit connectors to a new cable?

BenMcr
24-06-2008, 17:43
What is it you are wanting to put on the end of the wire?

Wario22
24-06-2008, 18:12
Sorry, obviously not making myself clear...

I don't want to do anything to the cable because I don't have the tools or the knowlege.

All I want to do is replace the cable between the port marked MODEM on the 'splitter' and the modem itself.

I'll take some pictures when I get home if it's still not clear.

Ernie_C
24-06-2008, 18:15
Sorry, obviously not making myself clear...

I don't want to do anything to the cable because I don't have the tools or the knowlege.

All I want to do is replace the cable between the port marked MODEM on the 'splitter' and the modem itself.

I'll take some pictures when I get home if it's still not clear.
Surely you have such a cable at the location where the modem is currently installed?

BenMcr
24-06-2008, 18:28
I would hope the tech wouldn't install a modem to damaged cable. If they have, I would suggest to raise a complaint about the install tech. They should be able to get someone back out to resolve it

Wario22
24-06-2008, 18:39
Surely you have such a cable at the location where the modem is currently installed?

Yeah, but the non-damaged one is only 1m long and I need 10m.

BenMcr
24-06-2008, 18:43
Why not go wireless?

Wario22
24-06-2008, 19:00
Why not go wireless?

I am!

The reason I've only just attempted to use the 'second' cable is because I've bought a wireless router and need it located in the middle of the flat.

BenMcr
24-06-2008, 19:10
Oops sorry.

I'm sure if you go to Maplins they could probably make the cable up for you. Only problem I can see is that Virgin have recently changed the cable spec they use, so I don't know if it is the same stuff
now

Apparently it is tri-shield (foil - braid - foil) if that helps. Also either RG6 or RG59 (though I don't know what the difference is). Do not use twist on F connectors

VirginMania
24-06-2008, 20:24
Item 534/2622 Commtel 10m Satellite Extension Lead at Argos should work fine.

BenMcr
24-06-2008, 20:31
Item 534/2622 Commtel 10m Satellite Extension Lead at Argos should work fine.

NOOO. They are a pile of ...... My flatmates got some for Sky and we had failed recordings and signal drops all over the place

VirginMania
24-06-2008, 20:42
NOOO. They are a pile of ...... My flatmates got some for Sky and we had failed recordings and signal drops all over the place

Cable TV works at much higher power levels than Satellite so unless your signal levels are very weak it should be fine. Also remember if it doesn't work you can take it back to Argos for a refund. You could also try ebay if your feeling brave Item 200232962634.

Visitor
27-06-2008, 01:56
you can get one from argos its called a satelite extension cable but it has the same fittings as the virgin modem.

The problem is, you should not be doing it, anything goes wrong and your in trouble