PDA

View Full Version : Using Std

mattyg
23-06-2008, 20:39
Hello

We have had our phone reconnected due to taking out a new package we have a differant number to the one previous owner had

Ok we cant make a phone call without using the Std code even for local calls
Anyone else have this strange anomoly

matt

Kymmy
23-06-2008, 21:13
Non-STD calls only work within the same exchange/area

Are you calling another VM or a BT phone??

Kymmy

mattyg
24-06-2008, 00:52
bt phone same town 2 miles away all same std code

Kymmy
24-06-2008, 08:34
BT phone will be on a seperate exchange than a VM phone, this might be your problem. Also with VM thier services from one area to the next are not standardised (i.e. telewest/ntl) which means that although one area might have a particular set-up not all areas will have the same setup.

Kymmy

whydoIneedatech
24-06-2008, 09:35
Hello

We have had our phone reconnected due to taking out a new package we have a differant number to the one previous owner had

Ok we cant make a phone call without using the Std code even for local calls
Anyone else have this strange anomoly

matt

I would advise calling Phone Faults on 151 as the should be no requirement to use the STD code in the same area, they are the people who can let you know for sure.

damien c
24-06-2008, 12:44
you should only need to use the std when phoning somewhere with a different std even if they are on bt etc.

i phone bt users in the same town as me and dont need to use the std there will be a diffinet fault imo.

m419
29-06-2008, 15:16
Thats right, i'm in london and you just put a 3,7 or 8 in front of the persons number and do not need to put 020.

Local dialing works between numbers on the same area code for example: 01234-567-890(someone on Virgin Media) to 01234-000-000 (A business on COLT)

You can just call 000-000 instead.

I would report it as a fault.

Buzzby
30-06-2008, 13:21
Take it from me this is normal. Yes you can dial the full national number 01abcde.... for
any call ( not talking mobs ) you can also short code dial as described above.
The problem comes when you are not certain which exchange area you are in.
When you short code dial your number is prefixed with the national code from where you are! I am in cambridge and remember at work recieving calls for fenfones on a particular phone. That phone on cambridge 01223 was ours, on newmarket it ( 01638 ) was fenfones. Someone was calling short code in the cambridge area, but thinking they were in the newmarket area, hence the confusion.
If in doubt alway call the full national number. There is no diference in the charging.

Buzzby XBT switch configuration ( datamanagement ) :D