PDA

View Full Version : Traffic management question

Ruki
22-06-2008, 19:07
I'm on 4mb service - Since 4pm I've downloaded around 300mb and traffic managment already kicked in. Am I not supposta get 1gb before this happens?

ceedee
22-06-2008, 19:29
I believe the thresholds for 4Mb connections are either 800MB or 1200MB depending on which STM regime is current for your UBR.

If you post a request to VM's TS newsgroup now they'll be able to confirm that you've been STM'd and, if there seems to be evidence that it's not working correctly, will report it as a fault.

Need help getting onto VM's Tech Support newsgroup? (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=34527446&postcount=6)

mhatter67
23-06-2008, 22:51
I believe the thresholds for 4Mb connections are either 800MB or 1200MB depending on which STM regime is current for your UBR.

If you post a request to VM's TS newsgroup now they'll be able to confirm that you've been STM'd and, if there seems to be evidence that it's not working correctly, will report it as a fault.

Need help getting onto VM's Tech Support newsgroup? (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=34527446&postcount=6)

Thanks ceede, i have set up Thunderbird mail client for the MAC and now have easy access to VM tech support news group :)

A* information

Gary L
23-06-2008, 23:14
if there seems to be evidence that it's not working correctly, will report it as a fault.

Would be nice if they would report it as a breach of contract.

Ruki
25-06-2008, 00:12
My speed today is 252kps constantly. That's 2mb speed and I'm paying for 4mb service. That's breach of contract. I'll set up this thing so I can access newsgroups.

EDIT/ Just logged in to selfcare now and it says I'm on Size M? Even though I'm on L.

ceedee
25-06-2008, 00:38
My speed today is 252kps constantly. That's 2mb speed and I'm paying for 4mb service. That's breach of contract. I'll set up this thing so I can access newsgroups.

EDIT/ Just logged in to selfcare now and it says I'm on Size M? Even though I'm on L.

What profile is set on your modem?

It'll help others offer advice if you mention how you are measuring your download speed and include your upload speed when reporting here.
It's also a good idea to use the full abbreviations, ie. 252KB/s = 2016Kb/s.

Ruki
25-06-2008, 02:18
I've tried using fuller zen test, tried speed tests, tried downloading 3-4 files at the same time (from different websites) just to make sure and it's always 250kbps. Person I spoke to at Virgin said they were gonna call me back tomorrow with more info. Last few days things have been bad in Enfield. Since Saturday we had constant loss of service. Last night my modem was reset two times and since then service is slower. I think that they downgraded me to 2mb again for whatever reason.

Gordon_30
25-06-2008, 07:46
VM Broadband is now a joke

Their Traffice Management Is so strict downloading a couple of decent sized patches for your pc games can cause you to be capped and you are been capped despite what VM say

It's Very simple VM say you are not been capped you can still download without restrictions that is true but when you seriously cap peoples speed as they are currently doing they are capping how much you download however they try to dress it up as capping speeds caps how much you can download

VM is too slow too expensive and the caps too strict

God knows what will happen when 50MB comes in

Enjoy your overpriced slow capped Service

I for one Have been put off from returning to VM

Nicosia
25-06-2008, 10:57
VM Broadband is now a joke

Their Traffice Management Is so strict downloading a couple of decent sized patches for your pc games can cause you to be capped and you are been capped despite what VM say

It's Very simple VM say you are not been capped you can still download without restrictions that is true but when you seriously cap peoples speed as they are currently doing they are capping how much you download however they try to dress it up as capping speeds caps how much you can download

VM is too slow too expensive and the caps too strict

God knows what will happen when 50MB comes in

Enjoy your overpriced slow capped Service

I for one Have been put off from returning to VM

i think the service is great, but nwo with the capping and the low upload which should be at least 2mbit on a 20mbit well im always on a 5mbit for £40 a month because i keep going over the cap, they can deliver the ful 20mbit which makes it that much more annoying hitting the cap and the adsl isps charge less and no cap and a higher upload VM is getting to be a joke with them 2 issues.. higher upload no capping!! why wont VM do that?

if i was close enough to exchangeto get full bethere pro / 2.5mbit upload id move but adsl for me sucks so VM is the best out of the two and i wont leave again but i will downgrade to the 2mbit seing as i am on a 5mbit most the time its pointless paying for 20 to be on 5

Xan
25-06-2008, 11:36
been with NTL/VM since cable started,the only reason i am with them is i can download after 9pm topspeed 20mb,if they do away with this i will turning on my sky and broadband for £40,as for downloading on sky i'll just stop.i will be getting more for my money :) with sky

Ruki
25-06-2008, 12:47
What's going on at VM???

I upgraded from 2mb to 4bm service on 21st via selfcare. Received confirmation by email and my speed went from 250 to 480kbs and stayed that way for two days. Then my modem was reset and I was back to 250kbs. I called them this morning and they told me I was never on 4mb service at all which is crazy because I mos def was. I tried explaning my speed increase but to no avail they claim I was never on it :D and that they would see it if I was even 5 years ago only for a moment :D

So who's lying if it's not me?

xspeedyx
25-06-2008, 13:19
Depends if your on the old NTL system some agents wont be able to see that so you might have been trans to the old telewest system and the speed you was on was added as 2mb and not 4mb easy way to upgrade call C/S or send me a pm with ur detials and I will do the upgrade for you

whydoIneedatech
25-06-2008, 22:22
Depends if your on the old NTL system some agents wont be able to see that so you might have been trans to the old telewest system and the speed you was on was added as 2mb and not 4mb easy way to upgrade call C/S or send me a pm with ur detials and I will do the upgrade for you

You cannot be transferred from the NTL Platforms of Langley and Bromley to the Telewest Platform of Knowsley not possible unless you move house, you can tell which platform the customer is on via Redtools.