PDA

View Full Version : Downlaod letter

greenlantern64
22-06-2008, 17:31
Hi

has anyone recived the letter about down loads? About takeing action if you continue to download content that you should't..

Have not seen a letter but have been toold they have been sent out:(

mhatter67
22-06-2008, 17:40
I would love to know how many times you have to break traffic management threshold before you receive a warning letter?

Sorry to ask but have you been consistently breaking the down/upload limit at peak times?

spiderplant
22-06-2008, 17:48
This letter is nothing to do with traffic management or how much you download. It is being sent to people who share music illegally.

joglynne
22-06-2008, 17:52
This letter is nothing to do with traffic management or how much you download. It is being sent to people who share music illegally.

If that is the letter the OP is querying then those letters are already being discussed here. (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33634106-virgin-media-bpi-join-forces-attack.html)

ceedee
22-06-2008, 18:13
Just to clarify, VM are currently sending out letters explaining the STM (subscriber traffic management) system and completely separately they will apparently be sending out letters (one each from VM and the BPI) warning about the possible consequences of downloading copyright material.
It seems likely that VM will identify recipients for these so-called "Three Strikes" letters from information supplied by the BPI.

Please don't confuse the two different mailings!

joglynne
22-06-2008, 18:14
Thanks for the clarification ceedee.

Ruki
22-06-2008, 18:33
I've got a letter recently asking me if I noticed my download speeds were slower than usual that's all. A couple of days after EU parliament ruled that ISP's have to let you know of traffic management. They told me if I find my speed too slow now that they recommend an upgrade.

ceedee
22-06-2008, 18:51
Aha -- So that suggests that there's actually a third letter going around!
:)

@ Ruki -- If you've got access to a scanner, I don't suppose you could post a copy of that letter?
Or maybe just retype the relevant paragraphs?

Angry@VMedia
22-06-2008, 19:00
I've got a letter recently asking me if I noticed my download speeds were slower than usual that's all. A couple of days after EU parliament ruled that ISP's have to let you know of traffic management. They told me if I find my speed too slow now that they recommend an upgrade.

No such letter has been sent to me about this, does that mean then that they are breaking the law? as i have not been informed about said STM, and dont even know what it is?? (course i know really, thanks to cableforum, but if i didnt ever use this site, how would i know!)

Ruki
22-06-2008, 19:02
I've already put it through a shredder but it's just a standard letter pretty much looks like this page:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

I've since upgraded my service from 2 to 4mb's but now it's even slower seeing how I used to get 125kbps when speed limit kicks in but now I only get 110kbps. I'm leaving VM soon, service is getting poorer and poorer and costs more.

BenMcr
22-06-2008, 19:08

No such letter has been sent to me about this, does that mean then that they are breaking the law? as i have not been informed about said STM, and dont even know what it is?? (course i know really, thanks to cableforum, but if i didnt ever use this site, how would i know!)

An EU parliament ruling is not legally binding in the UK until it is enacted by the UK parliament. There is no such law in the UK. There recently has been an OFCOM code of conduct, but that is a voluntary scheme

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

I've already put it through a shredder but it's just a standard letter pretty much looks like this page:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

I've since upgraded my service from 2 to 4mb's but now it's even slower seeing how I used to get 125kbps when speed limit kicks in but now I only get 110kbps. I'm leaving VM soon, service is getting poorer and poorer and costs more.

Sounds like the standard traffic managment letter to me