PDA

View Full Version : utorrent and virgin media

dan44762000
22-06-2008, 13:36
have virgin media done something too deny acess to seeds on uttorent or what ?
i used to use it with no problems up untill last week
now it wont find any seeds and the internet goes down completely while uttorent is running
i have to restart my pc to get the net back up
anyone know a workaround for this problem
like blocking virgin from knowing what i am doing
using vista home premium

cimt
22-06-2008, 13:38
Nope, it's all good for me. What area are you in?

dan44762000
22-06-2008, 13:51
swansea

moaningmags
22-06-2008, 14:11
My utorrent runs fine with great speeds.
If it's crashing the net, have you checked what you're giving in upload speed.
If it's unlimited, it can really slow down your comp, browsing etc etc.

cimt
22-06-2008, 14:59
Maybe there's too many connections?

what?
22-06-2008, 15:01
virginmedia do not have access to block off programs such as utorrent.
so it defintely wont be that that is causing the problems.

as has been said check the upload you are allowing and the connections.

desktopcarl
22-06-2008, 17:42
I have been beavering away on solving problems I have had and basically, if I run utorrent it causes the modem to reboot.

No other application does this (except occasionally iPlayer). I am still working on whether this is a local problem but certainly the fickle finger of fate is swinging towards something related to VM.

Would be interested to find out if any others in the Leicester area have similar problems.

r00t
22-06-2008, 18:12
I can assure you Carl, VM can in no way cause utorrent to make your modem reboot.

ceedee
22-06-2008, 18:22
I have been beavering away on solving problems I have had and basically, if I run utorrent it causes the modem to reboot.

You might be able to save yourself some time by searching this forum for "utorrent" and reading through a couple of the threads describing similar problems and the efforts others have already made to find a solution.

what?
22-06-2008, 21:27
if no other program causes the problem, then surely the fickle finger of fate would point towards the program in question. maybe im crazy though

Tech_Boy
22-06-2008, 22:20
I'm in the Swansea Area & Utorrent works fine for me, I had a similar issue with the connection crashing previously, I just limited the No of permitted connections & it has worked fine ever since.

eth01
22-06-2008, 22:27
this is just another post on the same subject.... /me sighs

fluke9
22-06-2008, 22:49

No other application does this (except occasionally iPlayer). I am still working on whether this is a local problem but certainly the fickle finger of fate is swinging towards something related to VM.

Would be interested to find out if any others in the Leicester area have similar problems.

My modem does exactly the same.

My thread about it here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33634080-torrents-cause-my-modem-to-restart.html

And it would appear you and I are not the only ones with this problem.

I am in SE London, Bromley area.

And as a side note it does it on Bit Comet, Bit Torrent and Azureus, as soon as you get a good download going.

whydoIneedatech
23-06-2008, 00:02
I use bitcomet and shareaza and have done so for years and have never had any of the above problems, it points more to a conflict with other software on your PCs as Virgin Media do not have the Technology or the Software to iniate any of these problems.

fluke9
23-06-2008, 00:14
Conflict on the PC ???

It's the modem that reboots.

It does it on 3 laptops in the house, not all running at the same time, Vista Home Premium, XP Pro and XP Home.

It only does this on torrents, I am trying BBC iPlayer at the moment to see if that is the same, but it does seem strange that a few are having the same issue.

whydoIneedatech
23-06-2008, 00:29
Conflict on the PC ???

It does it on 3 laptops in the house, not all running at the same time, Vista Home Premium, XP Pro and XP Home.

It only does this on torrents, I am trying BBC iPlayer at the moment to see if that is the same, but it does seem strange that a few are having the same issue.

I am on a 20Mb connection and it never happens to me regardless what I download, and it cannot be something Virgin are doing as some posters think.

moaningmags
23-06-2008, 01:01
I am on a 20Mb connection and it never happens to me regardless what I download, and it cannot be something Virgin are doing as some posters think.

I agree, it runs fine for me on 20Mb too, never crashed my router or modem.

Welshchris
23-06-2008, 03:35
i have to admit here that i dont use torrents and never have, but a friend of mine who is on AOL upto 8mb and gets usually around 6.2mb uses it and says that its really slow, hes used Utorrent since christmas and said its got gradually slower and slower.

whydoIneedatech
23-06-2008, 08:55
i have to admit here that i dont use torrents and never have, but a friend of mine who is on AOL upto 8mb and gets usually around 6.2mb uses it and says that its really slow, hes used Utorrent since christmas and said its got gradually slower and slower.

Advise him to try bitcomet as I have never had a problem with it and to use torrentbox or isohunt for his searches.

Druchii
23-06-2008, 14:20
Conflict on the PC ???

You may need a new modem, as this one seems not able to use so many connections at the same time.

xspeedyx
23-06-2008, 14:28
Advise him to try bitcomet as I have never had a problem with it and to use torrentbox or isohunt for his searches.

Does bitcomet have stupid adware and spyware in it now I used to and the got adverts in the software switched to utorrent but must admit no problems with utorrent here getting over 300Kb/s most times

whydoIneedatech
23-06-2008, 17:07
Does bitcomet have stupid adware and spyware in it now I used to and the got adverts in the software switched to utorrent but must admit no problems with utorrent here getting over 300Kb/s most times

Always worked fine for me and nice and clean, would recommend to anyone:)

xspeedyx
23-06-2008, 18:05
I will stick to utorrent and XDCC Catcher gotta love IRC

shayr1992
25-06-2008, 09:49
I assume I have problems similar to you. Until about last week, my torretn downloads on utorrent were fine, sometimes downloading at 1mb/s when I had good seeders. Now, whenever I try to download something, I find no seeds, and I i look under the trackers section it says 'Offline (timed out). I searched the web for this, as it was happening with every tracker. I then found a guide for people with Roger's cable in canada, who throttle bit torrent connections, and followed it to enable encryption and disallow legacy connections. According to the site this stops Rogers from knowing you are using torrents. Suddenly, utorrent is able to find all trackers and connect with seeds. Download times are not what they were but are good enough, at a constant 200kB/s (I'm on 10mb). I assume it is because encryption slows things down. I think that there really may be application throttling like said in that other thread. But I really don't have a clue what I'm talking about and am making mistakes. You should try enabling encryption. I'm using 1.8 beta and it is under preferences>Bittorrent.

Does anyone have any solutions without encryption, thanks.