PDA

View Full Version : 20meg, awful awful speeds.

MarcM
21-06-2008, 23:51
Hello all,
For the last 2 weeks I've been getting awful speeds on my 20meg service, reguardless of time of day. It seems to be capping out at around 150 kb/s to 200 kb/s mostly. Sometimes I get lucky and hit 300 kb/s.

Here are my signal levels:
Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 2 Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4 Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.9 dBmV Downstream SNR : 38.5 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 6 Upstream Frequency : 28784000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QPSK Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 49.0 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

MarcM
22-06-2008, 00:12
criminality 1%
sorry?

sstainer
22-06-2008, 08:56
whats your source of results for speed?
would it be 1: speedtest's or 2 downloading a large file ie maybe from microsoft?

have you tried the Optimizer thats if your using XP

http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ is a good all round test site i find IMO

MarcM
22-06-2008, 10:37
whats your source of results for speed?
would it be 1: speedtest's or 2 downloading a large file ie maybe from microsoft?

have you tried the Optimizer thats if your using XP

http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ is a good all round test site i find IMO
From that speed test - Download Speed: 1975 kbps (246.9 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 651 kbps (81.4 KB/sec )

I downloaded a large file from the virgin website, same speeds.

I am using vista so yeah.

sstainer
22-06-2008, 12:10
http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

presume it says
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600

ignore that ^
just noticed yr upload not too bad
download thats rubbish best i can find is a list of tweaks for vista
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=2574

whydoIneedatech
22-06-2008, 12:17
Hello all,
For the last 2 weeks I've been getting awful speeds on my 20meg service, reguardless of time of day. It seems to be capping out at around 150 kb/s to 200 kb/s mostly. Sometimes I get lucky and hit 300 kb/s.

Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 2 Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4 Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.9 dBmV Downstream SNR : 38.5 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 6 Upstream Frequency : 28784000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QPSK Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 49.0 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

All your power levels are within NTL operational parameters so try the tweaks sstainer has posted from speedguide if no improvement call Virgin on 151.

nathkrul
22-06-2008, 13:07
Dont worry m8, youre not the only one on here getting awfull speeds.

As of the 27th of this month I will be cancelling my phone and dropping my speed down to 10meg as they cant get the billing correct regarding both, and the speed I get is hopeless during the day, however I can get 20meg during the hours of 1am and 8am.

My year is up and ime off, but have no option but to keep the cable broadband as I am too far away from the BT local exchange to get adsl at a decent speed.

Colin

Nick334
22-06-2008, 13:58
Don't make a decision too soon. My 20Meg has been awful for the last 2 or 3 weeks - getting about 200kB/s. But yesterday it suddenly seems to have got much better - I'm getting 2.2MB/s on the newsgroups right now. It was great last night as well. Don't jump ship too early.

nathkrul
22-06-2008, 15:04
To be honest, things are only going to get worse what with getting stm'd during the day, just what is the point of havving 20meg broadband when youre getting crippled during the hours you would normally use it.

Apart from the terrible customer services, who take your mobile number only to never give you a call while your in waiting for an engineer who never turns up, and this has happened to me 3 times now, I thought they took your number to keep you updated incase the engineer cant make it.

And the last time when the broadband went off, last week actually, I just totally lost it, "please turn modem off and plug power back in" ffs some people have a brain, I told him I wouldnt do it as I have had enough, then I thought I better hang the phone up or I might go a bit to far.

And the phone lol, "is that Mr Robertson you owe us money" god help me, that number belonged to a Mr and Mrs Robertson prior to me getting it, the debt collectors are doing me rocks in.
Caller ID is crap the phone has to ring 4 times before a number is shown and I have tried different brands of phones all the same, same phone on a BT line worked great I moved to virgin because of the phone and broadband deal, what a very big mistake, the billing hasnt been correct since I got it.

Colin

i-Set
23-06-2008, 01:08
^^^ i agree that their billing system needs to be updated as to when it comes to reading monthly bills, its very confusing for the average joey like me lol, but apart from that my phone and bb is spot on, shame though about you mate

whydoIneedatech
23-06-2008, 09:03
To be honest, things are only going to get worse what with getting stm'd during the day, just what is the point of havving 20meg broadband when youre getting crippled during the hours you would normally use it.

Apart from the terrible customer services, who take your mobile number only to never give you a call while your in waiting for an engineer who never turns up, and this has happened to me 3 times now, I thought they took your number to keep you updated incase the engineer cant make it.

And the last time when the broadband went off, last week actually, I just totally lost it, "please turn modem off and plug power back in" ffs some people have a brain, I told him I wouldnt do it as I have had enough, then I thought I better hang the phone up or I might go a bit to far.

And the phone lol, "is that Mr Robertson you owe us money" god help me, that number belonged to a Mr and Mrs Robertson prior to me getting it, the debt collectors are doing me rocks in.
Caller ID is crap the phone has to ring 4 times before a number is shown and I have tried different brands of phones all the same, same phone on a BT line worked great I moved to virgin because of the phone and broadband deal, what a very big mistake, the billing hasnt been correct since I got it.

Colin

I can understand your frustration when one of my colleagues asks you to unplug your modem even though you have probably done so just before the call, but we have to ask you to do that as it is part of the required diagnostics that we have to go through, if we are being recorded for quality or training purposes, which is always without our knowledge and we do not follow procedure we get marked down and possibly face disciplinary action.

Please understand that it is a double edged sword we have to work with.

The mobile phone is taken so the engineer can let you know his estimated arrival time, if the engineer is cancelled without your knowledge it is usually due to an Outage in the area, for which I can only apologize.

IT Lemming
23-06-2008, 23:21
Hello all,

See link below, if you live in South Wirral area this may be your problem, although I will have to wait a few days to confirm if the new modem works!!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33634601-will-i-ever-get-more-than-page-6.html

Best to call up and see if they will send you out a new modem.

Mox3d
24-06-2008, 04:02
... if we are being recorded for quality or training purposes, which is always without our knowledge and we do not follow procedure we get marked down and possibly face disciplinary action.

The mobile phone is taken so the engineer can let you know his estimated arrival time, if the engineer is cancelled without your knowledge it is usually due to an Outage in the area, for which I can only apologize.

This policy recognises no experience level nor does it negotiate. The fact that you are unfortunately at risk if you fail to follow this proceedure simply magnifies the distinct possibility that the department is run by people made from cheese.

A wise man once said that many hands make light work, but I counter that it takes an inflexible manager to render a small problem enormous. Certainly by the imposition of ridiculous policy. I feel so sorry for you mate, and have probably spoken to you once or twice if you have been there for any length of time.

The problem isn't us. The problem is the people who are clearly in the wrong job and hating every single day there.

Chin up mate.

whydoIneedatech
24-06-2008, 08:33
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/33634845-20meg-awful-awful-speeds.html#post34581915)
... if we are being recorded for quality or training purposes, which is always without our knowledge and we do not follow procedure we get marked down and possibly face disciplinary action.

This policy recognises no experience level nor does it negotiate. The fact that you are unfortunately at risk if you fail to follow this proceedure simply magnifies the distinct possibility that the department is run by people made from cheese.

A wise man once said that many hands make light work, but I counter that it takes an inflexible manager to render a small problem enormous. Certainly by the imposition of ridiculous policy. I feel so sorry for you mate, and have probably spoken to you once or twice if you have been there for any length of time.

The problem isn't us. The problem is the people who are clearly in the wrong job and hating every single day there.

Chin up mate.

I and many of my colleagues enjoy our work or we would not be doing it, what I posted above your post is true of most Call Centres that you call into, that is why you get the rider at the beginning about it may recorded for training purposes.

Mox3d
24-06-2008, 15:53
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech I and many of my colleagues enjoy our work or we would not be doing it, what I posted above your post is true of most Call Centres that you call into, that is why you get the rider at the beginning about it may recorded for training purposes.

Thats good, although maybe I wasn't clear enough. When I have to call in sometimes it seems to me like I usually get the one's who either cannot speak clear English, or are new, or hate thier job (and are patronising to customers). I wasn't suggesting you were one of these at all, and I apologise if you thought that. That was not my intent.

whydoIneedatech
24-06-2008, 22:59
Thats good, although maybe I wasn't clear enough. When I have to call in sometimes it seems to me like I usually get the one's who either cannot speak clear English, or are new, or hate thier job (and are patronising to customers). I wasn't suggesting you were one of these at all, and I apologise if you thought that. That was not my intent.

The is absolutely no need to apologize all I was voicing is that the are many employed like myself under the Ex-Telewest banner who do enjoy their work and just wanted you and anyone that reads this thread to know.

Most of us want to help you as otherwise why are we on the other end of the phone. ;)

IT Lemming
25-06-2008, 23:04
Hello all,

New modem arrived today, and I am back up to full speed, I would call Virgin, and get them to send you out a new modem, especially if yours is an old 250 version