PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Management Question

mhatter67
21-06-2008, 19:01
I have a specific question about VM traffic management and yes I have checked VM traffic management page on their site.

I am on BB Large package and have been upgraded to 10Mbs, the website tells me I can download 12000 MB or Upload 700MB

1. Question: Is it what threshold you break first for the management to kick in or is it the accumulative total that can trigger it.

I have downloaded 586MB and Uploaded 464MB between 4 - 6pm today and now my BB seems to be managed for the next five hours after taking a reading.

The only total i seem to have broke is 1000mb download for a 4mb connection.

Please don't shot me down in flames if this has been answered before, any help will be greatly appreciated :confused:

thanks
mark

Zain
21-06-2008, 19:10
does the reading include browsing aswell btw?

moaningmags
21-06-2008, 19:14
It could be that even though you are now on the 10mb the old limits are still being applied. Not everyone is affected by the new STM settings, apparently it's in roll out from area to area.

HTH
Mags

mhatter67
21-06-2008, 19:19
does the reading include browsing aswell btw?

Hi yes it does, I am on a MAC and have a Widget which reads my broadband activity very clearly both down as well as upload, also the BB speed-tester is from the thinkbroadband website

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

It could be that even though you are now on the 10mb the old limits are still being applied. Not everyone is affected by the new STM settings, apparently it's in roll out from area to area.

HTH
Mags

Thanks so are you saying that i broke the 1000MB old total and that traffic management takes the accumulative total. I must admit the VM webpage is not very clear on this?

moaningmags
21-06-2008, 20:19
You're right, it's not very clear, nor does it show which areas have either the new settings or old ones.

mhatter67
22-06-2008, 00:20
I have got my BB back to normal now 9.2MB, I suppose in future to be safe from VM traffic management, if i am doing anything major with my broadband connection I will do it after 9pm :(

The thing i don't find fair is that you could be penalized for watching BBC iPlayer or as I did the other week downloading a 900mb movie rental from the itunes store. I think they will have to look at the traffic management thresholds again.

Thanks for the responses

mark

jaycee
27-06-2008, 01:25
What they need is a call from trading standards threatening them to give customers the product they advertise, or else.

zer0
27-06-2008, 01:46
dear vm your bill has been traffic managed if you receive this between 4-9pm deduct 50%

xspeedyx
27-06-2008, 08:35
Alot of ISP's use DPI to throttle so they can penalize the peer to peer users i.e BT, Virgin's Throttling is different as they dont use DPI so they just have to set limits and if you exxceed them tuff ur classed as a heavy user, Virgin Media need to rethink this but they wont because upgrades and doing something right for the customer aint what Virgin do