PDA

View Full Version : Modem Cannot Get IP

Bottesford
20-06-2008, 14:19
We have a recurring (but infrequent) problem with our internet failing.
Randomly the internet will stop working and remain broken for around 12 or so hours before coming back to life randomly. Modem reboots make no difference.
Our internal network is fine and I can access the modem status page.
I take a look at the event log and can see the exact time the failure happens usually with the same errors - getting no reponse from the DHCP server and various sync errors.
A few weeks back we had a tech booked to have a look after it'd been down all day but later that evening it came back so I cancelled the tech next morning. There were then no problems until last weekend when it did it again but it'd happened overnight and came back shortly after me noticing. Now its happened again at about 10am this morning - it's still not working.
I know the fault is with VM somewhere but if I book a tech then it'll fix itself by the time they turn up! No problems shown on status page.
Any ideas? Don't fancy having this happening all the time as I rely on accessing my network remotely all the time!

MovedGoalPosts
20-06-2008, 14:23
If you have a network, you'll need to disconnect the router from the modem, and connect a PC direct to the modem. Once you have rebooted the modem, if you still have a lack of connectivity to the internet from the modem, call faults. They will be able to see you have a problem. If required a tech can be sent out. Signal levels and other things may be marginal so that the fault is intermittent. The call centre will agree there is a fault so that would get you off the hook if someone is sent out.

whydoIneedatech
20-06-2008, 14:43
We have a recurring (but infrequent) problem with our internet failing.
Randomly the internet will stop working and remain broken for around 12 or so hours before coming back to life randomly. Modem reboots make no difference.
Our internal network is fine and I can access the modem status page.
I take a look at the event log and can see the exact time the failure happens usually with the same errors - getting no reponse from the DHCP server and various sync errors.
A few weeks back we had a tech booked to have a look after it'd been down all day but later that evening it came back so I cancelled the tech next morning. There were then no problems until last weekend when it did it again but it'd happened overnight and came back shortly after me noticing. Now its happened again at about 10am this morning - it's still not working.
I know the fault is with VM somewhere but if I book a tech then it'll fix itself by the time they turn up! No problems shown on status page.
Any ideas? Don't fancy having this happening all the time as I rely on accessing my network remotely all the time!

Phone up and tell them what is happening with your connection and about you previously canceling as you thought it had resolved itself, when they say that they are sending a tech out do not cancel again, let the tech check the cabinet and the power levels on your modem.

Bottesford
20-06-2008, 17:00
OK thanks I'll get them out again. Hope it clears up this eve - don't fancy a weekend without the internet!