PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Broadband 20Meg

Mandavar
20-06-2008, 10:31
Hi there im new in VM BB since i was in BT<=== weird billings etc. like 2-3 times taking cash for bb in week for like 100£ then i moved to O2 >.< connection falling every 20-40min after 1 month cancel so my question is:

Does VM BB is good for PC gaming? ( not hosting ) i play games like CS:S,World of warcraft and others.

Downloading like 10-20GB per week (myself) my dad 20 or more and sis 20 is BB will affect it?

im living in Southampton (SO16) >.>

Cheers

Kymmy
20-06-2008, 10:54
Search for threads on STM (lots about) as that'll be the only thing that should effect your downloading...

As for gaming I have no problem but others have reported problems...I think it's very dependant on which servers you use, where you are in the country and what setup you have at home (i.e. wireless or not)

Kymmy

PS..Welcome to the Forum

Mandavar
20-06-2008, 11:06
cheers,

well on O2 16 meg playing CS:S from RuS/UK/USA servers where everyones had 100 - 130 - 70 ping i had like 20-50
Exteel - bah nonlagging USA Servers
WoW that was pain drop of internet and lag like hell using EU server located in UK normal MS was like 20-120 just wonder how it going to be.

last question:

i like fall asleep while watching stuff on youtube etc. and downloading stuff does it will affect my streaming?

adamgsb
20-06-2008, 16:01
Well, where do I start, I'm not even sure if I should post in the 20 meg section, cos most of the time I seem to have a 5meg connection, apart from there very generous 20 minute period where they actually give me the service that I am paying ALOT!!!!! of money for, I have no problems with the quality of the service when they decide to give it to me, but I do have a problem with with the fact that they try to blame users for their complete incapability to deliver the service that I pay for, I paid for a 4meg...10meg...20meg and I want 20meg ALL the time, and as for comments in the new about them monitoring what your downloading, who gives them the right!!, BT and the Postoffice have been delivering comunication systems for 10's of years and they are not allowed to listen to you phone calls/open you mail respectivley, because it's Illegal... as far as I'm concerned they are just UNT's with a capital C!!!!

Welshchris
21-06-2008, 03:42
i did have problems with my 20mb service from Nov 2007 - Feb 2008 due to Over utilization on the UBR. I have reciently upgraded back to 20mb since they offered me a good deal and i seem to get around 18.2 - 19.3mb all the time touch wood anyway.

i-Set
22-06-2008, 01:08
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/06/12.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

thats my highest speed so far, but normally my download speed varies from 21mb to 22mb. but I think its great, on ps3 no lag whatsoever, whereas before on 2mb (m) I was getting quite a bit of laggyness, anyways hope you sign up to 20mb and enjoy

Noggo
22-06-2008, 14:24
My best advise to you is to find someone with Virgin Media BB in Southhampton and ask them what it's like. It could be fine, but then again it could be bad.

Try PM Marku the OP from this thread:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33634109-20mb-slow-unstable-month-so-now.html

As for O2, why go there for gaming no fastpath option which is available on Bethere.

Laters,