PDA

View Full Version : Phone Calls With NO Number Shown

FairyFairy
18-06-2008, 11:05
I've received a couple of phone calls now .. phone rings ... no one there and there is nothing on the caller display ... not even number withheld ... or saying it comes from abroad (or whatever it says!!!)

Just the date and time ... nothing else!!

Anyone else had them ??

haydnwalker
18-06-2008, 14:58
Quite alot actually...most of them wanting someone that doesn't even live at our house. Though we have had one or two with nobody on the other end.

Usually if its a blank other end its probably an auto dialler connecting you to some sort of sales agent. If nobody answers just hang up. Usually the Auto diallers detect that someone has spoken and then connect you.

If you just pick up the phone, if its a genuine caller they should think "hang on nobodys talking" and so start saying "hello...helloooo" :)

Register with the Telephone Preference Service and see if they stop?

FairyFairy
19-06-2008, 04:40
Thanks for that.

We have registered with the TPS already!

I just thought it was extra strange that nothing came up - no number withheld or anything at all

m419
19-06-2008, 20:22
Its probably from somewhere within Virgin Media or junction box possibly testing lines.

Calls from:

International landlines and some mobiles: on 1471 say 'Sorry the last call was from a network that is unable to transmit numbers' on Number display it will say 'Unavailable'

Some International mobiles: When you dial 1471 it may sometimes give you a number with too many digits before the international number which means it won't be possible to return the call in this way.

From Skype and Internet phones: Same as International landlines

Texts messages: Will be recieved from 0845-302-1111 or if its from a T-Mobile phone or Virgin Mobile phone it will be from 07953-966-066

So is highly likely to have come from a telephone exchange or junction box somewhere.

FairyFairy
22-06-2008, 20:38
Thanks

chuzzlemonkey
14-07-2008, 19:14
Thanks for that.

We have registered with the TPS already!

I just thought it was extra strange that nothing came up - no number withheld or anything at all

Hi bare in mind registering with the TPS takes around 30days to kick in and you then need to re-register every 6 months also.

FairyFairy
14-07-2008, 19:51
Hi bare in mind registering with the TPS takes around 30days to kick in and you then need to re-register every 6 months also.

I didn't know you had to re-register every 6 months :mad:

I better do that then.

Thanks

jcw00
14-07-2008, 19:58

I don't think you have to re-register. Where did you find this information?

FairyFairy
14-07-2008, 20:37
I just went onto the TPS website to re-register - but it said I had already registered!!

While I was there though - there is also a service for silent calls - and I've registered with them. I didn't know Silent Guard existed

http://www.ukdatait.co.uk/cgi-bin/sgAddNumber.cgi

BenMcr
15-07-2008, 00:11
I don't think you have to re-register. Where did you find this information?You don't. From the TPS website (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/faq/#sixteen)

If you have registered a residential number or a number belonging to a sole trader or (except in Scotland) partnership, you do not need to renew.

<snip>

Please be aware that if you change your telephone package, obtained broadband or change telephone line service provider for example, we may receive notice from your current/old line service provider that your line has been made inactive. In this case your number would be removed from the file as the service is only intended for live numbers.

---------- Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

While I was there though - there is also a service for silent calls - and I've registered with them. I didn't know Silent Guard existed

http://www.ukdatait.co.uk/cgi-bin/sgAddNumber.cgi That one does only last 12 months

Irvysan
15-07-2008, 00:26
I just went onto the TPS website to re-register - but it said I had already registered!!

http://www.ukdatait.co.uk/cgi-bin/sgAddNumber.cgi

I had similar problem, what you need to remember is you register with your name and your number but if they are always calling asking for someone else on your number....you need to register on the TPS website with the name of the person they are asking for, I hope that made sense!

PeteTheMusicGuy
15-07-2008, 09:40
It sounds like an auto Dialler to me. From what I remember happens is that the dialler rings your number and is supposed to put the call through to an agent but sometimes there is not an agent free and that causes the silent call.

You dont need to register more than once for the TPS

chuzzlemonkey
15-07-2008, 14:54
I don't think you have to re-register. Where did you find this information?

Was inlcuded in basic SIBS training...

mazarebacha
28-07-2008, 06:59
I try that kindbn of problem when i used my PDA mobile phone,no numbers and etc.