PDA

View Full Version : Cabling and Wiring

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 12:44
Hi guys,

I'm new to Cable Forum but thought I would join as I have very much appreciated some of the help other people have received on all things cable!

I am joining Virgin Media (Broadband L and Home Phone XL) as my uncle is on it and I have tried it and it is fantastic! You get the speed you pay for thanks to fibre optic.

Now the problem is, my phone point and broadband point are kind of opposite sides of the house, on the same floor.

The map I have attached is of my ground floor. The red dots indicate where I need the points, unfortunately I can't have my broadband and phone in the same place due to wireless printers which need to be directly attached to the router :dozey:.

Any ideas on where I should have the box attached to my house and how I should do the cabling? I want as minimal as possible, (my dad is picky about these things ;)) I would prefer the wiring to go outside my house as much as possible. The black scribble means that that section is outside btw :P

Cobbydaler
15-06-2008, 12:55
:welcome: to the forums!

The VM installers will do all the cabling required. You don't indicate on the diagram which point is where you require the phone & which the broadband.

With VM the phone & broadband will enter the house as a single cable & then be split. If you want to avoid a long run of cable across the house. I'd suggest a wireless router...

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 12:58
hi, thanks for the qucik reply. the one nearest the utility room is the phone and the other one broadband. yes, i know they will do the cabling but tbh, i dont think they will give a damn how much i can see it so i want some ideas on where i should ask them to run it thorugh.

will it enter the house as single cable or will it go to the box on side of house as one cable then turn into two? i am going to use a wireless router but i need it to where the broadband is going as it needs to be attached to network devices via ethernet.

BenMcr
15-06-2008, 13:49
They will place a box on the front of the property, which would probably be near the utility room if that is the front. Depending on where you want things to go dictates whether it gets spit externally or internally.

E.G if the outside continued down round the bottom of the hallway and study and the up and in on the right hand side, then the tech would be able to cable the broadband externally

Cobbydaler
15-06-2008, 13:50
I only have two experiences of a VM install, one in a (then) Blueyonder area & one in a (then) ntl: area. In both cases the cable was split after entering the building.

I think I have seen instances where a cable goes into the box on the outside of the house, then another one exits it externally towards an upstairs room. Maybe both approaches are possible & you should talk it over with the installers as to which will be the neatest...

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 14:04
the front is the hallway side, sorry i did not mention it before :P thanks for all your help, how now thought of a very good idea, hopefully would be possible with them. do i need to pay extra for the amount of cable i use. how many engineers do they send out?

BenMcr
15-06-2008, 19:31
The cable is included as part of the install, and if it is a brand new install they send as many engineers as they need ;)

ruddock08
15-06-2008, 20:09
thanks everyone for your advice!