PDA

View Full Version : Faults team do not know about traffic management

darrenj1
12-06-2008, 21:32
I have just got home, and started browsing the web, to find that my speed was exactly 1mb, I have DU meter.

I was annoyed and thought that the traffic managment had kicked in unfairly as there was no way I had downloaded 1gb of information even though my pc had been on all day.

I called customer faults team and spoke to someone who wanted me to do the standard tests like remove modem etc, and I explained that I thought the traffic management had kicked in unfairly.

He said that he has checked my modem and that is not the case, he said that my modem is faulty and wanted to arrange an engineer.

While I was waiting I went back to the VM traffic management page at http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html and was checking the correct limits etc, I found that there is also a threshold for uploading data, and this would make more sense as I knew that I had been seeding torrents.

I then checked the DU meter reports and found that I had gone over the limits and explained this to the technical support to advise him that it was my fault and no longer an issue.

The technical support guy just kept saying 'trust me its a fault with your modem, we need to send an engineer'

After me trying to explain so many times, I had to refer him to the VM page about traffic management, where he then saw the table, which has the headers "Evening Peak time management (7 days a week)" and he then told me that this means a whole week, not just 1 day, so I said that it means it applies every day, he still did not believe me.

In the end it was clear he did not have a clue, and even said things like 'its only XL customers who would be limited' so I had to speak to a manager to let him know that the guy does not have a clue.

It was really frustrating and surprising at the lack of knowledge from a broadband customer service guy.

Gary L
12-06-2008, 21:43
You should have told him to put the yellow paper down, and read from the green paper.

Zain
12-06-2008, 21:57
hahahaha

fluke9
13-06-2008, 00:06
In the end it was clear he did not have a clue, and even said things like 'its only XL customers who would be limited' so I had to speak to a manager to let him know that the guy does not have a clue.

VM staff not having a clue :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

How could this happen :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

The engineers are the same my 16 year old daughter knew more than the last engineer that visited.

moaningmags
13-06-2008, 01:14
Call back and report him, plain and simple.

Berealwith
13-06-2008, 02:32
Call back and report him, plain and simple.

LMAO been there done that it makes no difference..............hows that for plain and simple ;)

fluke9
13-06-2008, 22:42
LMAO been there done that it makes no difference..............hows that for plain and simple ;)

Yeah +1 on that :o:

No one seems to care a damn.

darrenj1
16-06-2008, 15:16
i eventually spoke to the manager, who said he would do something, but there's never any way of knowing.

Rone
16-06-2008, 16:24
i eventually spoke to the manager, who said he would do something, but there's never any way of knowing.

If you mean no way of knowing if he actually was a manager [probably the janitor] or if so would he do anything, i doubt it.
Its not just Virgin who dont care, its become a way of life in the UK, just not everybody does you for £37 for a watered down inet connection as well.

darrenj1
18-06-2008, 12:21
I realise that a lot of larger companies have gone this way, however I am lucky enough to work with a company who has a call center that focuses on customer quality - as we sell expensive products and our customers have high expectations.

From my VM support line experience, training is the key missing ingredient, staff simply do not know enough, and insist on running through scripts, even if you have done the same tasks previously.

It satisfies management as they think that 'the customer is getting a consistent, high quality service' but the reality of speaking to someone acting like a robot is far from the expectations of the UK customer (or maybe its just me). Responsibility has to be given to staff to allow them to serve the customers.

Darren

chickendippers
18-06-2008, 12:30
That's why the Newsgroups are much better for support as you are guaranteed to be serviced by a competent (and British) representative.

XFS03
20-06-2008, 13:08
I have just got home, and started browsing the web, to find that my speed was exactly 1mb, I have DU meter.

I was annoyed and thought that the traffic managment had kicked in unfairly as there was no way I had downloaded 1gb of information even though my pc had been on all day...
Your profile says you are on the XL service, which means your speed will be reduced to 5Mbps if you go over the limit of 3000MB.

LostintheNW
20-06-2008, 13:25
Your profile says you are on the XL service, which means your speed will be reduced to 5Mbps if you go over the limit of 3000MB.

What limit is this you are stating? I go over 120MB and oops on STM I go - had this confirmed by CS, Faults, Retentions as well and I am on the XL service.

Just goes to show this company doesn't know its backside from its elbow, with each department opertaing their own policies and procedures. :D

broadbandbug
20-06-2008, 13:28
What limit is this you are stating? I go over 120MB and oops on STM I go - had this confirmed by CS, Faults, Retentions as well and I am on the XL service.

Just goes to show this company doesn't know its backside from its elbow, with each department opertaing their own policies and procedures. :D

Is that the upstream volume limit for XL Tier?

XFS03
20-06-2008, 14:13
What limit is this you are stating? I go over 120MB and oops on STM I go - had this confirmed by CS, Faults, Retentions as well and I am on the XL service...
3000MB is the download limit for the XL service during the STM period (4 - 9pm).
1400MB is the upload limit for the XL service during the STM period (3 - 8pm).

If you are being STM'd after uploading or downloading just 120MB, then something is seriously wrong.

Next time CS, Faults or Retentions "confirm" 120MB, ask them to look at the info on their own website!

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

LostintheNW
20-06-2008, 14:50
3000MB is the download limit for the XL service during the STM period (4 - 9pm).
1400MB is the upload limit for the XL service during the STM period (3 - 8pm).

If you are being STM'd after uploading or downloading just 120MB, then something is seriously wrong.

Next time CS, Faults or Retentions "confirm" 120MB, ask them to look at the info on their own website!

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Everything is wrong, as I can be put on that system anytime of the day, I am not the only person this is happening to going off the threads on here. I refuse to accept anything they post on their website as its all lies as far as I am concerned. I am on my notice period with them anyway and no longer wish to be with a company like this who treat their customers wrong, plus I am not paying for a fortune for a 5meg and most of the time less than that speed of internet