PDA

View Full Version : Help Required - Corrupt/Shared phone number??

jaffa_s
11-06-2008, 22:41
I am in desperate need of some help with a problem I am having with my Virgin land line. I have been through Virgin Media and they have checked out my phone line without any success.

What is happening is that I am getting regular phone calls from people who claim that they have recieved calls from my number when I know that this is definitely not the case. The people who have called me up have had accents from all parts of the country. Some of the people who have called have been particularly upset as they claim they have recieved repeated calls from my number and have ended up so annoyed that they have now called me back.

Reached a peak this evening when I was verbally abused by someone over the phone - who left their mobile number on 1471 btw - my fear is that my young daughter will answer the phone at some point. Just to confirm I know for a fact it is not my daughter randomly calling people.

Anybody ever heard of a similar problem...it is as though someone else has my phone number or that my number is randomly autodialling people? Is this possible?

BenMcr
11-06-2008, 22:55
the most common time I've seen this is when a BT (or another phone provider) customer and a Virgin customer get assigned the same number.

Usually this occurs when one or the other has not marked a number as transferred correctly. Who was the number with when you first got it? VM or BT?

There are a couple of ways to check what is going on.

1) Get Virgin to check with BT that this is not the case

2) Phone your number from a BT line and see where it goes.

Based on what you have said, that people are calling you from Mobiles it looks like it is whoever else that has your number has it incorrectly, rather than a Virgin error

sstainer
12-06-2008, 13:38
if it was me i'd call virgin & ask them to change the number took me 48hrs to have mine changed say your getting nuiscence calls, which you are really in a sense

xspeedyx
15-06-2008, 23:15
standard number change takes 24hrs

Buzzby
27-06-2008, 15:25
Sounds to me as if a business has a wrong presentation number set. This is sent out as if it is the CLI from an ISDN multi line setup, hence a business calling all over the UK.
The business may be BT or cable. You will need to report it as a fault to both.

This is not a phone line fault this is a configuration fault elsewhere in some bodies switch
data.

ps if you do not understand a presentation number just call 1471 after receiveng a call from BT you will always get 0800 328 9393.

Buzzby XBT :D