PDA

View Full Version : VM Supplied Netgear Router keeps dropping

smeagoly1
11-06-2008, 12:22
Hi all

To add to my 8meg ADSL woes, I now seem to not be able to keep a steady connection for more than 10 mins.
Not a D/L speed issue but connectivity question.

I'm using the Netgear DG834 Wireless router "i think this is the modle" suppled by Virgn for my ADSL account. It's 3 months old.

The exchange is ADSLMAX enabled, 1500M from exchange "whitley Bay" area. Router says anything between 2000-2900 kbs attenuation with 30db power. Noise on the line is 7db or whatever the abreviation is :dunce:

I have tested this both wired and wireless and get the same problems. The connection, no matter what I am doing online, browsing, mailing or gaming drops every 5-10 mins for 10-20 seconds then mostly reconnects itself.

I have checked with the router software to see if it conflicts with any nearby networks, I am a good 5-6 channels away from the nearest network channel in use.

The router and network card are both G compatible and always get the full 54MPS connection.

Sometimes it needs a full power down to get up and running, but if i have to do this i'll be nutting the walls hahaha

Just wondering if this has been a common router problem and a simple configuration fix or just the poor adsl side of things, with the line?

As i have said i'm not interested in the speed side of things now, just would love to browse and do a decent online game for more than a few mins.

Regards
Smee

p.s I have tried looking at in the past the connections for the BT phone socket, suggested in a speed issue thread a few weeks ago. The socket is new and wireing is fine.

Jonathan90
11-06-2008, 12:27
Seems to me its nothing to do with the router m8 as you said u tried it wired and wireless so to me that means something wrong with modem or at virgin's end (most likely virgin cause they suck)

moaningmags
11-06-2008, 13:18
There shouldn't be a modem, on adsl the router replaces the modem. So could well be a faulty router.