PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [PS3]

icestar2
10-06-2008, 20:39
Well its out this week. I got my dispatch email today for delivery tomorrow. Really cant wait. Been looking forward to this one for a long time. Am excited to see what Konami have to offer with the next installment in the series. Any1 else picking this one up ?

Tezcatlipoca
10-06-2008, 21:23
I'm not 100% sure yet.

It sounds like it's going to be awesome, but...

... from what I've read, it sounds like it's only really going to be that awesome if you're a fan & know the story etc.

Having never played any of the earlier MGS games, I have a feeling I wouldn't know WTF is going on, nor care about it.

icestar2
10-06-2008, 23:16
I'm not 100% sure yet.

It sounds like it's going to be awesome, but...

... from what I've read, it sounds like it's only really going to be that awesome if you're a fan & know the story etc.

Having never played any of the earlier MGS games, I have a feeling I wouldn't know WTF is going on, nor care about it.

I guess so. I will give it a try out 2morrow nite and see if you need to know the storey to enjoy the game and report back :)

Tezcatlipoca
10-06-2008, 23:18
Cool, I hope it's good! :)

If I do decide to get it, I may resort to reading the plot of the earlier ones on Wiki or something, so I at least have some idea what's going on lol.

Paranoimia
11-06-2008, 11:54
I've got it pre-ordered. I played 1 & 2 but not 3, so I'm looking forward to it.

grandmaster
11-06-2008, 12:47
Mines been sent out....and I cant wait.

icestar2
11-06-2008, 15:14
Mines arrived. Not had chance to play it yet though. Looking forward to getting on it tonight :)

grandmaster
11-06-2008, 22:12
arrrrrrrrrrrggggggh I hate having to jump through hoops..

Has anyone else managed to get a konami id..

Its banging on about agreeing to online payments etc and I have to click agree, but there is no bloody button.

arrrrrrrgggghhhhh

icestar2
12-06-2008, 01:31
arrrrrrrrrrrggggggh I hate having to jump through hoops..

Has anyone else managed to get a konami id..

Its banging on about agreeing to online payments etc and I have to click agree, but there is no bloody button.

arrrrrrrgggghhhhh

I got a Konami Id from when the MGS:Online Beta was out. I should be able to use that but havent tried yet. It was not easy in the first place to get the ID. Just keep trying there servers may be getting hit now. Try https://id.konami.net/pc/top.jsp thats were you can get your Konami Id if you havent already.

Only had chance to play about an 1hr and half 2nite but I am LOVING it. (Thats the main game by the way aint tried online.)

grandmaster
12-06-2008, 08:38
The game is great, the online signup is a royal pain the ass.

I still can't get over how amusing it is to hide in a box.
The only fault for me so far is that the character does not seem to run fast enough....

Cerberus
14-06-2008, 01:19
I Won't be buying it. I thought the MP was quite poor. :(

icestar2
14-06-2008, 02:37

The MP Beta Was very poor. Aint tried the online in MGS4 yet and tbh not really intrested in it. I just love the way MGS tells a storey and the game itself is nothing short of perfect for MGS fans. Am loving it alot :)

D_Skids
16-06-2008, 16:46

Don't forget this is a single player game primarily. The MP is only really aan add on.

I should have been playing it from release day but it looks like Royal F***ing Mail have lost it.

Paranoimia
17-06-2008, 21:50
I completed it today. I won't give away any details, but it's a stunning game from start to finish. The online game is pretty much irrelevant - it's worth buying purely for the single-player game.

Some great humour, and some really nice touches relating to the rest of the series... which you'll probably only 'get' if you've played the previous games.

Tezcatlipoca
17-06-2008, 22:14
I bought it on Saturday.

Not played too much yet, still on Act 1 (only had a chance to play it on Sunday :( ).

As I've never played *any* of the previous MGS games, I read up on them via Wikipedia first, plus watched the Gametrailers retrospective.

Liking it, so far, a lot :)

icestar2
17-06-2008, 23:26
I completed it today. I won't give away any details, but it's a stunning game from start to finish. The online game is pretty much irrelevant - it's worth buying purely for the single-player game.

Some great humour, and some really nice touches relating to the rest of the series... which you'll probably only 'get' if you've played the previous games.

Finished it sunday night. Loved every minute of it. This game has set a very high bar in terms of Cinematic storey telling in a game. Always loved how MGS did this but 4 has taken it to a whole new level.

This game was probably my biggest reason for buying a PS3 and am so glad I did. After seeing what can be done I am looking forward to the next installment of Final Fantasy.

If there's any such award like Cinematic production in a game then MGS4 deserves it. :)

EDIT: Havent touched the online myself either. Not really intrested in it anyway. The game itself was by far good enough reason to buy.

Tod
19-06-2008, 11:40
MGS4 has put PS3 hardware sales above even the Wii. It's the one people have been waiting for I guess.

Tezcatlipoca
19-06-2008, 20:06
MGS4 Database & other DLC!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/18/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots-database-on-the-way/

Finally, a worthwhile update to the store.

icestar2
19-06-2008, 23:14
MGS4 Outsells every other Game in japan 2:1

No surprise here -- the behemoth that is Metal Gear Solid 4 (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/tag/metal-gear-solid-4/) has obliterated the competition in the Japanese charts. It managed to sell over 12 times the amount of the runner-up, Mario Kart Wii. But wait, there's more! MGS4 alone outsold every other game on the chart combined by more than 2 to 1. An impressive feat, no doubt. Last week's winner, Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/tag/dragon-ball-z/) on the PS3, dropped down to 7th place with 18,000 copies sold. With two (!) PS3 games in the top 10 and two PSP games as well, Sony must be rather pleased by their sales in Japan.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3) - 465,000
2. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 38,000
3. Wii Fit (Wii) - 37,000
4. Powerful Pro Portable Baseball 3 (PSP) - 27,000
5. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP) - 26,000
6. Hisshou Pachinko Kouryaku (DS) - 22,000
7. Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit (PS3) - 18,000
8. DS Calligraphy Training (DS) - 17,000
9. DS Misa Yamamura Suspense (DS) - 17,000
10. Furai No Syren 3 (Wii) - 14,000

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/06/19/metal-gear-solid-4-outsells-every-other-game-in-japan-2-1/

Now i know its japan and also it didnt really have any majour competition but still impressive none the less.

Paranoimia
20-06-2008, 14:36
MGS4 Database & other DLC!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/18/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots-database-on-the-way/

Finally, a worthwhile update to the store.

Since the game had a global release date, you'd think this would too. It's the first item that has ever had me annoyed at the Euro store delays.

Tod
20-06-2008, 15:53
European Games Sales (plus non US/Jap regions)

1 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots PS3 429,318
2 Wii Sports 136,758
3 Mario Kart Wii 68,458
4 Wii Fit Nintendo 66,579
5 Wii Play Nintendo 64,650
6 Brain Training DS 59,896
7 Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures DS 56,415
8 Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures PS2 55,712
9 Grand Theft Auto IV PS3 51,012
10 Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures Wii 46,028
11 Grand Theft Auto IV X360 43,628

Hardware Sales

*****Japan****America****EU&Others**Total
DS***39,305***187,553****230,508***457,366
PS3***81,323***122,449***116,642***320,414
Wii***46,378***112,403***138,210***296,991
PSP***63,996***76,097***65,156***205,249
X360**2,288***60,580***67,615***130,483

icestar2
20-06-2008, 23:10
Was happy to read today that MGS 4 may not be the end of the MGS series just the End of Snakes storey.

According to a preview of an interview with 1UP (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168338), assistant producer Ryan Payton said in regards to the possibility of Metal Gear Solid 5 (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/tag/metal-gear-solid/): "there are some misunderstandings that this is the final Metal Gear game. But it's really the final chapter of the Solid Snake story." He further states that if Snake's story continues past MGS4, "we'll get to the point where the game has absolutely no basis in reality." Payton also hinted at who might be the future star of the next MGS game: there is "still a lot of room for filling in the gaps as far as Big Boss is concerned." IGN's Philip Kollar interprets all of this as Konami having nowhere to go with the series except for prequels to "continue fleshing out that same epic narrative."

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/tag/metal-gear-solid/

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168338

Tezcatlipoca
22-06-2008, 12:31
Since the game had a global release date, you'd think this would too. It's the first item that has ever had me annoyed at the Euro store delays.

Yep :(

Bloody SCEEE :rolleyes:

http://kotaku.com/5018164/sorry-europe-no-metal-gear-database-for-you

You can download it from the US or Japan PSN Stores if you have an account, but it won't recognise your save, so you can't look at the MGS4 info.

Also, I don't think Sony can use the usual stupid translation excuse this time... the US version of the MGS4 DB (which is, of course, in English) also has language options for Japanese, Spanish, French, German, and Italian.

So I'm wondering just what the hell their pathetic excuse is this time...

Paranoimia
22-06-2008, 15:01
That's interesting, Matt. So I guess there really is no excuse this time, other than laziness.

A lot of people seem to think that SCEE "don't care" about the customers. I've always been very reluctant to believe that - after all, Europe has always been a major supporter of Sony's hardware. But things like this do make you wonder.

Maybe it's precisely because we've always been big supporters that we suffer? They're obviously going to keep their home market happy, and since they still have some catching up to do in the US, they get everything first, their own blog etc. Maybe SCEE aren't trying so hard here because they feel they don't have to?

Tezcatlipoca
23-06-2008, 20:37
I think they certainly do give the impression that they don't care about Europe :(

Maybe you're right, & it's due to complacency, as the PS3 is doing very well here anyway, whereas the 360 is stronger in the US [plus obviously Japan is the home market so they won't neglect there].

Or maybe SCEE are just muppets...

In any case...

Europe finally gets the MGS4 database this coming Thursday :)

http://kotaku.com/5018727/

I downloaded the US one yesterday evening - definitely has language options for English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, and Italian as I mentioned earlier (hadn't tried it then - just posted what I'd read).

Doesn't recognise my save, but that doesn't matter, as -

a) I haven't finished yet anyway ;)

b) The Euro one is out this week :)

icestar2
23-06-2008, 23:28
I cant exactly remember what i read or were but I will try find it again but am sure it said something along the lines of the PSN is not actually run by Sony. Maybe thats the problem.

Tezcatlipoca
23-06-2008, 23:36
I think it is still Sony overall (plus of course SCEA & SCEJ never display the same utter lameness that SCEE does), but AFAIK the developers do have more freedom with some things (Sony isn't a big control freak like MS seem to be).

Which is good in some ways, bad in others.

Although I think overall, I'd probably prefer them to be control freaks like MS seem to be.

icestar2
23-06-2008, 23:47
I think it is still Sony overall (plus of course SCEA & SCEJ never display the same utter lameness that SCEE does), but AFAIK the developers do have more freedom with some things (Sony isn't a big control freak like MS seem to be).

Which is good in some ways, bad in others.

Although I think overall, I'd probably prefer them to be control freaks like MS seem to be.

Yeah far point. In no way am I trying to defend sony as we all know to well how they have treated Europe in the past(Damn why do I still like them so much lol). Was just pointing out what I read and woundering if this could be adding to the problem here.

STONEISLAND
24-06-2008, 11:58
Well I’m sure I’m near to completion and have to say proberbly the best game I have ever played.
I was on the edge of my seat all the way. Even the cut scenes had me locked to the screen.

Fantastic and cannot wait to re-do it.

Damien
25-06-2008, 11:51
Is it true the cut scenes can get up to 90 mins in one case?

icestar2
25-06-2008, 17:01

There is one were including between acts cut scene it goes for a long time but not 90 mins. Maybe 40 - 50 mins.

shawty
25-06-2008, 19:19
For anyone who doesnt have this yet, shopto.net ( http://www.shopto.net/page.php?page=dettagli&codart=PS3ME01&n=Metal%20Gear%20Solid%204%20%3A%20Guns%20of%20The %20Patriots%20%28MGS4%29&p=PS3 ) have it at £28.99 and as a special offer if you sign up to Eurogamer.net ( http://www.eurogamer.net/ ) you get a £2 voucher added to your shopto account ( http://gamers.eurogamer.net/giveaways.php?id=18 ) bringing the total to £26.99.

Tezcatlipoca
25-06-2008, 20:13
I finished Act 2 last night.

Not always sure exactly what the hell is going on, but still *really* enjoying it.

Awesome game :D

STONEISLAND
26-06-2008, 09:14

No different to watching a very good movie.

I must be near the end now and still have no idea what’s going on, but who cares the cut scenes and the game is fantastic it gets better by the level.

I hope they do more like this.

icestar2
26-06-2008, 15:12
No different to watching a very good movie.

I must be near the end now and still have no idea what’s going on, but who cares the cut scenes and the game is fantastic it gets better by the level.

I hope they do more like this.

Agreed Stone. They way they tell a storey is brilliant which Is why I was saying in an earlier post that it should win an award for Cinimatic production in a game. Very few game developer's have the courage to make cut-scenes of that length. I know the back storey mostly so was enjoying it alot but for people who dont and to still enjoy it so much just goes to show how well it is actually done :)

Tezcatlipoca
01-07-2008, 20:31
There is one were including between acts cut scene it goes for a long time but not 90 mins. Maybe 40 - 50 mins.

I think the end one must be near 90 minutes total! ;)

-------------------------------------

Finished last night :)

Awesome game, utterly awesome - one of the best I've played :D

[And I don't even know the MG series!]

STONEISLAND
02-07-2008, 11:19
I think the end one must be near 90 minutes total! ;)

-------------------------------------

Finished last night :)

Awesome game, utterly awesome - one of the best I've played :D

[And I don't even know the MG series!]

Glade you enjoyed wicked game.

Please help

How do you kill the last boss on the boat?

Tezcatlipoca
02-07-2008, 20:55
Glade you enjoyed wicked game.

Please help

How do you kill the last boss on the boat?

Liquid?

4 stages with him.

Some CQC & combos to start with, then it basically turns into a punch up in the 2nd & 3rd. 4th stage you just do big choreographed punches - no health bar (I thought it was a cut scene & stood there at first!) - & it only takes a few hits to finish him.

Basically, keep dodging him, block, & punch back. I used the same basic tactics on all 4 stages. I think L1 was block & R1 punch. First stage lets you do a bit more dodging & blocking & stuff & combos.

STONEISLAND
03-07-2008, 12:36
Liquid?

4 stages with him.

Some CQC & combos to start with, then it basically turns into a punch up in the 2nd & 3rd. 4th stage you just do big choreographed punches - no health bar (I thought it was a cut scene & stood there at first!) - & it only takes a few hits to finish him.

Basically, keep dodging him, block, & punch back. I used the same basic tactics on all 4 stages. I think L1 was block & R1 punch. First stage lets you do a bit more dodging & blocking & stuff & combos.

Sorry I think I have killed him already. :angel:

The one on the big ship, he or she is in the air and I cannot im as my sights keep moving.

icestar2
03-07-2008, 12:55
Sorry I think I have killed him already. :angel:

The one on the big ship, he or she is in the air and I cannot im as my sights keep moving.

Do you mean that psycho mantis guy ? The one with the 2 dolls in his hands ? and when you try shoot him your gun moves to the side slightly ?. If so then to stop your guns moving away from him you need to use the Nano machine suppressant syringe in your inventory on yourself. Once you use this then he cant control you anymore. Next you need to shoot the dolls in his hands I think its like 4 - 5 times for each one. Then pick them up when he drops them so he cant pick them up again. Once you have the dolls Equip the blue one aim it at him and shake it. Thats how you kill him. Thats assuming were talking about the same boss lol.

STONEISLAND
03-07-2008, 19:38
Do you mean that psycho mantis guy ? The one with the 2 dolls in his hands ? and when you try shoot him your gun moves to the side slightly ?. If so then to stop your guns moving away from him you need to use the Nano machine suppressant syringe in your inventory on yourself. Once you use this then he cant control you anymore. Next you need to shoot the dolls in his hands I think its like 4 - 5 times for each one. Then pick them up when he drops them so he cant pick them up again. Once you have the dolls Equip the blue one aim it at him and shake it. Thats how you kill him. Thats assuming were talking about the same boss lol.

Thats the one!! :D

Thaks mate.

icestar2
03-07-2008, 20:03
Lol no worries stone, Took me a while to figure that one out to :)

Tezcatlipoca
03-07-2008, 20:32
Also...

You mustn't let Meryl die!

Each time she gets up & goes after you, shoot her with the Tranq. Pistol to knock her out.

If she dies, you lose.

icestar2
03-07-2008, 20:40
Also...

You mustn't let Meryl die!

Each time she gets up & goes after you, shoot her with the Tranq. Pistol to knock her out.

If she dies, you lose.

Yep thats right forgot to say that. I found it easier to stand next to her and knock her out each time though. Can get through it much faster that way.

Tezcatlipoca
08-07-2008, 22:35
Laughing Camo & Raging Camo DLC:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/04/new-mgs4-camo-dlc-hits-with-lols-aplenty/

Interview with David "Solid Snake" Hayter:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168559

Updates for Metal Gear Online - new mode, plus a new host option:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/07/07/metal-gear-online-gets-patched-with-new-mode-host-option

Begize
09-07-2008, 19:38
Loving the game - just finished Act 2 myself, the battle with Laughing Octopus is just amazing, really spooked me out at times because I was playing with headphones on (the Mrs was asleep on the other sofa).

Anyway, technical question. Anyone else having problems connecting to download the "extras"?

I get a "server error" instantly every time and checking elsewhere on the net, there are theories it could be ISP related. Anyone else on Virgin having the same issue?

icestar2
09-07-2008, 19:47
Only looked at the extras after I finished the game but when I did it was fine. Connected straight away and downloads worked fine to. Havent tried since so not sure but havent seen anything reported.

Tezcatlipoca
09-07-2008, 19:57
Oh something else...

If you have a Bluetooth headset, you can receive Codec messages on it, for that little bit more authentic Solid Snake experience.

Bulky
13-07-2008, 16:03
Amazing game , the only game so far that has made me not even switch my 360 on . the only gripe i have is i thought the boss battles were waaaay to easy (but still brilliant) , hopefully this will improve when i replay on hardest setting :)

Begize
19-07-2008, 08:53
Oh something else...

If you have a Bluetooth headset, you can receive Codec messages on it, for that little bit more authentic Solid Snake experience.

Never thought to try that :) cheers.

Stephen
19-07-2008, 11:06
The game is in Zavvi's sale for £30 if anyone still needs to get it :)