PDA

View Full Version : I can't send from ntlworld address through 3 broadband.

albeard
09-06-2008, 18:40
Help!!

My internet provider is NTL and have an ntlworld.com address. At home through broadband I can send & receive e-mails no problem.

I have recently bought (or my company has) a 3G broadband dongle for when I am away on buisness.

When using the 3G dongle I can recieve e-mails but cannot send. Is this a small settings issue which I will need careful instruction as I am not an IT guru, or are NTL and 3 just not compatible. I presumed, maybe wrongly, that the 3G would piggy-back the NTL.

I don't really want to change my e-mail address.

If anybody can clarify my plight I would be very grateful.

All the best

Graham M
09-06-2008, 18:41
Change your SMTP server to 3's and you'll be able to send emails but you'll need to change back when using NTL so if your email client supports "personalities" or user profiles then it's worth setting up a separate one

albeard
09-06-2008, 18:56
Thanks for the prompt post. If that was an easy-speak solution then I'm in a muddle!! Does that mean when I'm away I use 3's SMTP to send & recieve and then when I get home I reset to NTL? If that is right can you explain 'change your SMTP to 3's and how do I find out what they are and NTLs for when I get home again?

Al

homealone
09-06-2008, 19:25
You could always use the webmail service - assuming you can browse to

http://webmail.ntlworld.com/

& sign in with your usual details

albeard
09-06-2008, 19:57
Thanks Gaz
I can browse ok but need to keep using my Microsoft Outlook.

All the best

Al

ceedee
09-06-2008, 19:58
Thanks for the prompt post. If that was an easy-speak solution then I'm in a muddle!! Does that mean when I'm away I use 3's SMTP to send & recieve and then when I get home I reset to NTL? If that is right can you explain 'change your SMTP to 3's and how do I find out what they are and NTLs for when I get home again?
Don't panic! ;)
All you really need to know is that the SMTP servers (that you're after addresses for) accepts the emails you send out. And the POP3 or IMAP servers handle your incoming mail.

What is SMTP? (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=what+is+smtp&btnG=Search)

Try using "smtp.three.co.uk" when you are connecting via 3's USB modem and "smtp.ntlworld.com" when you're back at home and connecting via cable broadband.

albeard
09-06-2008, 20:17
Thanks CeeDee.

I thought you were on to something then. I changed both incoming to POP.three & outgoing to SMTP.three one at a time and tried but to no avail. The error 0x80042109, said 'Outlook couldn't connect to the outgoing SMTP server'. Do I also need to change the connection type?

All the best

ceedee
09-06-2008, 21:11
Try leaving your pop3 settings as ntlworld?
Sorry, I haven't really used outlook in over four years.

homealone
09-06-2008, 21:44
Try leaving your pop3 settings as ntlworld?
Sorry, I haven't really used outlook in over four years.

I agree, it is only the SMTP settings which have to be altered when sending from other than your Virgin Media registered location.

The Virgin Media POP3 servers will 'pick up' mail no matter where you are, using any mail client which can log into your account.

I'm not sure I understand why you don't want to use outlook / pop3 for incoming mail & webmail for outgoing?

The answer to that may be relevant to another suggestion, which is to sign up for a googlemail account, that will allow you to specify the sending address in any outgoing message & will also work with IMAP (although I haven't tried imap, myself)

Kymmy
09-06-2008, 22:27
In simple terms...

You can only use the SMTP server associated with the connection you are using at that point in time. It does not matter if you use 3's SMTP server to send NTLWORLD emails it will allow you as long as you are connected via a 3 connection.

In outlook just set up a new account for your ntlworld address using the 3 smtp servers, and then in send/receive groups disable the "receive check box" for that account. That way when you;re connected to 3 you use that account, when you connect to VM you use the original account. The original account will still pick up the email from ntl's pop servers no matter which service you connect through.

Kymmy

flowrebmit
10-06-2008, 17:54
In simple terms...

You can only use the SMTP server associated with the connection you are using at that point in time. It does not matter if you use 3's SMTP server to send NTLWORLD emails it will allow you as long as you are connected via a 3 connection.

I think it does matter, the email sent from 3's SMTP server will show as being from 3's server, and most likely the from: and reply-to: headers will show the email address from the 3's email address.

tweetiepooh
10-06-2008, 18:28
You may need to check the settings on 3's SMTP serves. Virgin's have no encryption/authentication and use the basic ports etc. You can only send via Virgin's SMTP when you are on our network.
Other providers may additionally use authentication/encryption/secure links and so on. You'll need to check 3's documentation. My kmail (linux) mail client provides a "Check what server supports" button to aid in this.

Kymmy
10-06-2008, 19:48
I think it does matter, the email sent from 3's SMTP server will show as being from 3's server, and most likely the from: and reply-to: headers will show the email address from the 3's email address.

Shouldn't do as most ISP SMTP servers will allow relay from connection on an authorised account (either authorised by user/pass or purely via the connection itself) Although the X-from will show 3 as the relay the From: REPLY-TO: should be whatever outlook sets them to.

Kymmy

mikeeey-h
10-06-2008, 20:56
Hi,

first time poster...

But in the same boat as you, I've spoken to 3 who don't offer an out going SMTP server, but if you take a look at

http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_email_advanced_smtpauthenti cation

It tells you all you need to do, you only need to do it once and it will work when you are connect to either NTL or 3.

Mike.

homealone
10-06-2008, 21:10
Hi,

first time poster...

But in the same boat as you, I've spoken to 3 who don't offer an out going SMTP server, but if you take a look at

http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_email_advanced_smtpauthenti cation

It tells you all you need to do, you only need to do it once and it will work when you are connect to either NTL or 3.

Mike.

:welcome: to the forum mikeeey-h

cracking first post, I didn't know about that - it sounds exactly what the OP is looking for :tu:

ceedee
11-06-2008, 01:14
Wow!
Nice find, mikeeey-h!

Could one of the friendly TS crew confirm if SMTP authentication is available on the virginmedia and ntlworld smtp servers as well as blueyonder?

albeard
15-06-2008, 21:40
Good question ceedee!

Nice one Mikeeey-h. Hopefully it has been good for someone but it didn't work for me. I tried to speak to someone at Virgin media but it was acomplete waste of time!!!

They either don't listen, don't understand what you are saying or just want you to upgrade, or all of the above. Is there anywhere I can phone in UK!!

whydoIneedatech
15-06-2008, 22:21
Wow!
Nice find, mikeeey-h!

Could one of the friendly TS crew confirm if SMTP authentication is available on the virginmedia and ntlworld smtp servers as well as blueyonder?

It is part of OE and does work on blueyonder and should work the same on ntlworld accounts.

Usually if you have a problem with a OE account from Virgin which you know is working in webmail because you know the password, the best thing to do is go to tools>accounts then highlight the account that is at fault click on remove when it is gone click on add and re enter all details and it should work.
It is always better to do a clean install than mess around with settings and it saves time.

crwoody
01-11-2008, 16:36
I don't know if this thread is still relevant, I came across it while searching for the solution to the same problem.
I found this while searching the three site, (link) : -
http://www.three.co.uk/personal/help_support_/mobile_broadband_support_/got_a_question.omp

click on "Using Mobile Broadband" then the link to "Using email"

Basically it requires that you simply change the Outgoing mail (SMTP) field to smtp-mbb.three.co.uk
I tried it and it works for me.