PDA

View Full Version : Utorrent/browsing workaround

Pedro Uk
08-06-2008, 22:54
Like many others I`ve started to suffer timeouts while browsing recently, I use Utorrent 1.7, vista32 sp1 & belkin N router that i`am wired into.
What I have found is that if I use a proxy to browse while using Utorrent then I can load pages as fast as would be considered normal(through a proxy).
I use the torbutton addon for firefox and although the problem has still been bugging the hell out me recently, i`ve found using TOR atleast allows me to carry on reading Mboards etc while sharing.
Just don`t try any HTTP downloading. ;)

xspeedyx
08-06-2008, 23:03
Have you tryed lowering the upload in utorrent I am using utorrent 1.8 beta and can surf the net fine atm I am downloading 3 torrents and still able to browse cable forum quickly also try another browser or open DNS

Pedro Uk
08-06-2008, 23:19
Sorry I could of been clearer, I use openDNS & have been using BT for a number of years, all settings remain unchanged from before I became aware that I was having a problem, although since I have probably tweaked every known setting in my browsers/Utorrent/Router & network connection settings.

Strangely enough I had a lull for a day or two only for the problem to return(right after being STM`d *insert roll eyes type smiley*)

I suppose it could be my router playing up, but it does seem to be consistent with a fair few other users, so I thought I best mention it. :)

Des
09-06-2008, 04:11
I have the same problem with torrents (as do most I know on Virgin)... my browsing ability goes down for a few minutes when the torrent begins (even with nothing uploading) -- didnt always happen... last few months anyways...

cimt
09-06-2008, 08:22
Did you do what darthlinux said? That may be your problem. Torrents can kill your speed if you don't cap the upload limit.

Pedro Uk
09-06-2008, 08:46
Did you do what darthlinux said? That may be your problem. Torrents can kill your speed if you don't cap the upload limit.
Yes I know how to get the best possible performance from my client, upstream has always been capped @ 80%(although even capping it to 10% makes no difference to the problem I now experience), I must reiterate that i`ve been using BT for years already without experiencing any problems until the last week or two. ;)

cimt
09-06-2008, 08:54
Yes I know how to get the best possible performance from my client, upstream has always been capped @ 80%(although even capping it to 10% makes no difference to the problem I now experience), I must reiterate that i`ve been using BT for years already without experiencing any problems until the last week or two. ;)

Ah, sorry. I was talking to Des. I should of quoted him on it.

For you though, have BT done any upgrades in your area that may of caused it?

nffc
09-06-2008, 13:13
80% or 10% of what? I set a global upload limit of 10 kB/s in utorrent and then put 1 kB/s limits on each torrent (if you set a low global limit you get your download hit) and 1 slot.

Even 10% of your download speed would probably still end up maxing your upload.

xspeedyx
09-06-2008, 13:17
Ah, sorry. I was talking to Des. I should of quoted him on it.

For you though, have BT done any upgrades in your area that may of caused it?

By BT I think he meant Bittorrent no BT the company

TraxData
09-06-2008, 13:18
80% or 10% of what? I set a global upload limit of 10 kB/s in utorrent and then put 1 kB/s limits on each torrent (if you set a low global limit you get your download hit) and 1 slot.

Even 10% of your download speed would probably still end up maxing your upload.

So your a leecher then ;)

the whole points of torrents is sharing you know!

Ideally you should set your upload to 75% of the maximum.

I used to do that and get full whack 2+MB/s download :)

xspeedyx
09-06-2008, 16:28
the joys of private trackers hey trax?

Jonathan90
09-06-2008, 16:48
hmm there is a way around this on xp is to open up more connections using lvllord.de patcher but atm i cba to google a vista one just search vista tcp/ip patcher or soemthing along those lines

nffc
09-06-2008, 17:33
So your a leecher then ;)

the whole points of torrents is sharing you know!

Ideally you should set your upload to 75% of the maximum.

I used to do that and get full whack 2+MB/s download :)
Not at all, I just have **** upload and if I set it much higher it slows it all down! Plus the concurrent connections thing tends to lock out my router.

xspeedyx
09-06-2008, 21:12
sp3 sorts out that issue