PDA

View Full Version : Changes to 'Traffic Mangement'?

nemof
08-06-2008, 20:59
Have there been recent changes to Traffic Management on Virgin Media Internet?

I ask because the table on the traffic management (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php) page looks new.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/traffic-management-table-392x374.jpg

I swear that a couple of days ago it was simply any traffic from 4pm-9pm, now it's all day.

I love the irony of the page which just below the table links to a page called 'even faster'. I also love the euphemism of 'temporarily managing' our speeds.

Taf
08-06-2008, 21:19
1000-1500 1600-2100 is not all day..... but it's a big chunk of it...

Note the asterisk by Size L (10Mb).. does that mean that Size L (4Mb) is unchoked?

lol

joglynne
08-06-2008, 21:36
asterisk refers to :-*Note: Broadband size L customers are currently having their speeds increased from 4Mb to 10Mb as part of our speed increase programme. More information can be found at www.virginmedia.com/evenfaster.http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

4MB users still awaiting upgrade are subject to :-During peak times, the top 3% of downloaders on the Size: L package download at least 800MB of traffic each, with the top 3% of uploaders uploading at least 325MB of traffic each.

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till 9pm) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed - their download speed will be set to 1Mb, with their upload speed set to 128Kb. This will last for 5 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

LOL not.

nemof
08-06-2008, 21:47
1000-1500 1600-2100 is not all day..... but it's a big chunk of it...

Note the asterisk by Size L (10Mb).. does that mean that Size L (4Mb) is unchoked?

lol

It's true it's not all day, if you want to leave your PC on after 9. I can tell you that it definitely includes 4mb as I am on the 4mb package and my speed has been 'managed' due to downloading a Linux DVD today.

frogstamper
08-06-2008, 21:58
And the irony is VM are still calling it unlimited

Maggy
08-06-2008, 22:48
And the irony is VM are still calling it unlimited

Perhaps not for much longer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7437097.stm

It wThe way broadband speeds are advertised is to be regulated under a voluntary code published by Ofcom.ants companies to publish accurate estimates of the maximum connection speeds people can expect before they buy broadband packages.
Some 32 internet providers, covering more than 90% of UK broadband customers, have agreed to the code.

Even if VM aren't one of the 32 I can't see them holding out...

xspeedyx
08-06-2008, 23:07
Companis like Virgin will always get a way with **** things like this

frogstamper
09-06-2008, 00:24

Its certainly in their interests to be involved, as I imagine none of the ISPs want a compulsory standard they have no say in. I just feel the "unlimited" claim is so misleading, to the man on the street surely it means "as much as you want" without being penalized, if an ISP can't offer this they shouldn't be claiming unlimited.

broadbandbug
09-06-2008, 13:36

VM are one of the 32, and actually comply with all of the areas given:D

dcclanuk
09-06-2008, 13:58
The upstream speed for 2mb is 256kbps... yet I am only on 200kbps upload on my 2mb. I just rebooted the modem, yet the config is still 200kbps... hmmmmm a typo on the site or another MISLEADING tactic by VM:mad::(

charlieannear
09-06-2008, 15:03
Has anyone pointed out how environmentally flawed this policy is? Customer rights doesn't grab the headlines but the environment does, especially where energy consumption is concerned.
Most of the time we're being told to turn things off if we're not using them (sensible because you save money and help save the planet) and then here we're being told leave them switched on all the time so you can still get your updates even though you can only download things at a slower rate. People having to leave on PC's, laptops, games consoles etc all night in order to download critical updates, whereas before they would have downloaded then turned them off and gone to bed?

Do VM have shares in a power company?

Maggy
09-06-2008, 15:04
VM are one of the 32, and actually comply with all of the areas given:D

So unlimited will disappear from the advertising then? :erm:

broadbandbug
09-06-2008, 17:07
So unlimited will disappear from the advertising then? :erm:

How they advertise their service is not one of the things in the code.;)

It is more about being truthful with regards to what the limits are and when they are in force.

The ability of the connection to get the speed advertised

The company working on fixing speed related issues

Offering lower speed packages to customers that are unable to get the speed they are paying for.

Maggy
09-06-2008, 17:22
How they advertise their service is not one of the things in the code.;)

It is more about being truthful with regards to what the limits are and when they are in force.

The ability of the connection to get the speed advertised

The company working on fixing speed related issues

Offering lower speed packages to customers that are unable to get the speed they are paying for.

:confused: If advertising is not to be included and to be transparent as the 'rest' then the whole point of the voluntary agreement is worthless in that case.:rolleyes:.To explain quietly somewhere inaccessible on the VM site what is what and then carry on misrepresenting the realities in the advertising is just unfair.

Sirius
09-06-2008, 17:33
:confused: If advertising is not to be included and to be transparent as the 'rest' then the whole point of the voluntary agreement is worthless in that case.:rolleyes:.To explain quietly somewhere inaccessible on the VM site what is what and then carry on misrepresenting the realities in the advertising is just unfair.

:clap:

broadbandbug
10-06-2008, 10:22

It is because OFCOM are not responsible for advertising.. This is dealt with by the ASA.

Don't you think the voluntary agreement is meant to be worthless;). Why would the ISPs sign up to something that was going to hurt them:D

dj rob st
10-06-2008, 13:13
them tables never match up for me, mine always seems to change every so often at moment its like either 5 or 6pm till 11pm. im in ts18 on 10mb

Maggy
10-06-2008, 14:51
It is because OFCOM are not responsible for advertising.. This is dealt with by the ASA.

Don't you think the voluntary agreement is meant to be worthless;). Why would the ISPs sign up to something that was going to hurt them:D

Well...

Ms Bradley added that Ofcom must be "strict" in monitoring the code and said repeated breaches of it by net suppliers might signal the need for a mandatory Code of Practice.

Personally I would go straight for that rather than pussyfoot around 'hoping' that the industry will change for the better voluntarily.:rolleyes:

frogstamper
10-06-2008, 15:44
Personally I would go straight for that rather than pussyfoot around 'hoping' that the industry will change for the better voluntarily.

I quite agree, you've only got to look at the Press Complaints Commission to see self regulatory bodies are just tooth-less tigers.