PDA

View Full Version : Installation problem

Mcawley
05-06-2008, 12:45
Not nearly as bad as some I have read on here, but just wondering if there is anything that can be done.

After a year and a half with Sky we decided to combine our internet, TV and phone with Virgin.

Engineers came on the 28th May to fit everything, but was unable to complete due to 'poor signal' or something. (I wasn't there, my wife was home with our new baby, so may not have got all the exact details.) Engineer said he would be back following day with his manager to finish install. Not a problem as we still had all our existing services (phone/internet/Sky)

Following day engineers turned up but discovered a break in the cable from the house to the box and a construction crew would need to repair the cable, booked for 2 weeks time. Again, frustrating but not a problem.

This weekend we discovered that our BT line has stopped working and we are unable to dial out and if anyone dials in they get a voicemail message that sounds like it's supplied by Virgin.

Finally yesterday our internet also stopped working, cutting us off completely.

I know we requested a number port from BT, but kinda hoped that they would have waited until we were activated before cutting our old service off. Having spoken to customer services who were very apologetic, but basically said I would have to wait until next Friday when the engineers come back to repair the cable.

Just wondering if there is anything I can do, as my wife is stuck at home with our six week old baby, no phone (except mobile), no internet, and intermittent Sky signal (our main reason for moving to VM)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

Jonnymeg
05-06-2008, 15:14
It sounds like the job was put through as complete (even though it wasn't) and a repull booked to fix the main drop cable. As the job has gone through on the system as complete the number port would have gone through too.

Virgin now have the facility to do emergency repulls which means they could put the cable in the same day if they wanted too. Do you have a contact number for the engineer who came?

if you do you could try contacting him and say you are going to make a complaint and ask to speak to his manager who may be able to do it.
Failing that i would call up virgin and tell them your services aren't working and to send a tech out to see if they can put a tep. fix in place. Once the tech is out he may be able to get you and emergency repull.

Mcawley
06-06-2008, 12:09
Customer care told me last night that there was nothing they could do until the engineers came back next Friday. When I mentioned emergency pull-through or temporary fix, all I got was that there were no appointments earlier than the one I had booked. Even when I pointed out that it was their fault for putting the job through as complete despite that not being the case.

I gave up at that point as all that was happening was that I was getting annoyed and was likely to say something I would regret.

Unfortunately I don't have the engineers number, otherwise I would have tried contacting him too.

Am now starting to worry what might happen if there are any further problems on Friday!

Jonnymeg
06-06-2008, 15:38
Customer care told me last night that there was nothing they could do until the engineers came back next Friday. When I mentioned emergency pull-through or temporary fix, all I got was that there were no appointments earlier than the one I had booked. Even when I pointed out that it was their fault for putting the job through as complete despite that not being the case.

I gave up at that point as all that was happening was that I was getting annoyed and was likely to say something I would regret.

Unfortunately I don't have the engineers number, otherwise I would have tried contacting him too.

Am now starting to worry what might happen if there are any further problems on Friday!

Where do you live?

Mcawley
06-06-2008, 16:28
Ashtead in Surrey

hairy_mick
06-06-2008, 18:18
so you now have no phone line i think they had better get someone out tommorw as you have no service at all its not good enough. Have you got your phone pluged into the virgin master not the bt one.

---------- Post added at 18:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Is there any virgin points in the house phone,tv,broadband.

Mcawley
07-06-2008, 10:16
I have tried both the BT and virgin socket. The virgin one is completely dead and the bt one won't allow outgoing calls

the end
07-06-2008, 10:34
Sounds pretty bad that. Just make sure you aint paying for what you aint got.

Mcawley
09-06-2008, 11:18
Don't worry about that, not paying a thing until I actually get a service. Just wishing that they hadn't killed my existing services in the process.

Am slightly concerned I may have internet addiction as the withdrawal is not pretty! Just glad I am able to get online at work.

sprattgraham
13-06-2008, 00:03
Try and call +44 (0)1256 752000 and ask for Complaints Department the people in this department have direct contact with area managers.

Mcawley
13-06-2008, 17:00
Construction team have been and relaid the cable from the box to the house. Just called CS and been told that the engineer will come and connect it up on the 4 July!! That's gonna be over a month with no phone or internet!! CS are calling back in an hour or I'll be onto the complaint number above.

Jonnymeg
13-06-2008, 18:56
July 4th.... jeez

Mcawley
13-06-2008, 19:59
Area manager is coming out tomorrow to review the situation. Will see what he has to say about what has happened so far.