PDA

View Full Version : Speed curbing letter just received

moiraf100
05-06-2008, 11:59
Just had the letter about BB usage.
I don't download many mp3's but I have been watching Lost online.
OH plays online poker nearly every night - will this have an effect on his game.
Does it also take into account web pages etc. that you visit.e.g iPlayer and the like, and emails and stuff?
Is this Virgins' way of getting us to increase our BB package?
I'm on 2mb, but have been thinking of going to 20mb with the VIP package.

Paranoimia
05-06-2008, 12:32
Everything that comes to your computer is counted towards the total - files, web pages, e-mail, system updates... the lot.

It won't affect hubby's poker, since the connection is slowed, not stopped... and even the lower rates should be more than adequate for a poker game.

It will affect things like iPlayer, though. Mind you, if you have Virgin TV, there's not really any reason to use the web-based iPlayer, since it's now available through the red button on your STB, and that doesn't count towards your BB usage.

The Hitman
05-06-2008, 13:16
I cant waite to recieve mine.:D

Ignatius
05-06-2008, 13:32
I noticed that the information of the CF home page specifically relates to download

does anyone know if upload is also being capped, and if so by how much?

Is MB uploaded also counted towards the bandwidth limit?

There's also no info about how long the cap stays in place once it's been triggered. Is it lifted automatically at 9pm, or is it out for the next 24 hours? Week? etc

TBH in terms of detail, I think the letter leaves much to be desired

moaningmags
05-06-2008, 13:35
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

Tells you all you need to know.

Once you trigger STM it's in place for 5 hours.

HTH

xspeedyx
05-06-2008, 13:37
The cap last for 5hrs check here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html) for the STM page from Virginmedia.com

dam beat me to it lol

one2escape
05-06-2008, 20:12
Is this false advertising on Virgins part now?

alferret
05-06-2008, 20:22
Is this false advertising on Virgins part now?

False advertising how?

highroyds
05-06-2008, 21:50
False advertising how?

Think they mean because Virgin Media are still advertising unlimited downloads. Which your still getting an unlimited service, just VM are stating don't download it all during peak hours and spoil the other users access, which is fair enough.

Biggus
06-06-2008, 04:29
I don't agree with your "justification" of VM's idea of unlimited.

Unlimited means without restriction, so unless VM are allowed to use the word incorrectly, which is clearly defined in any dictionary, then technically they are are false advertising and/or misleading customers.

Dictionary meaning of unlimited (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=unlimited)

nomadking
06-06-2008, 04:52
So are people saying they should be provided with unlimited speed? After all, even without STM you are limited in the amount you can download by the connection speed.

You can download unlimited quantities, just with STM in place it may take longer to do so.

Sirius
06-06-2008, 06:30
I cant waite to recieve mine.:D

Had one yesterday, i filed it under CRAP to be recycled.

There is one letter i am waiting for at the moment and that letter will make me move ALL my services. It's the one that will say Welcome to the Virgin-Phorm spyware system. At that point i am out of here.

highroyds
06-06-2008, 09:51
Its still an Unlimited service, just not between the times of 10am - 3pm and 4pm - 9pm lol.

xspeedyx
06-06-2008, 11:32
I think sending letters out about STM is a good move by Virgin as so many customer dont know this and could reduce calls to TSC dont like STM but I can live with it as I can see ALL ISP's doing it as some point

highroyds
06-06-2008, 12:00
I think sending letters out about STM is a good move by Virgin as so many customer dont know this and could reduce calls to TSC dont like STM but I can live with it as I can see ALL ISP's doing it as some point

I agree, most of my downloads are done during the night. But I do, do a lot of online gaming during the day. I just can't afford to upgrade to the next tia, but knowing VM the prices will go up in the future. I'm just waiting to see if VM upgrade the 2MB speed as they've done with the 4MB to 10MB.

TraxData
06-06-2008, 12:01
I noticed that the information of the CF home page specifically relates to download

does anyone know if upload is also being capped, and if so by how much?

Is MB uploaded also counted towards the bandwidth limit?

There's also no info about how long the cap stays in place once it's been triggered. Is it lifted automatically at 9pm, or is it out for the next 24 hours? Week? etc

TBH in terms of detail, I think the letter leaves much to be desired

As per the traffic management page, Upload is capped as well.

xspeedyx
06-06-2008, 12:20
Trax I remember you saying that STM wasnt added due to high usage user so why are they sending letters to all customers just wondering that all dnt take offense and all who u using now due to you disconnected VM services

TraxData
06-06-2008, 12:25
Trax I remember you saying that STM wasnt added due to high usage user so why are they sending letters to all customers just wondering that all dnt take offense and all who u using now due to you disconnected VM services

As you can see on the newsgroups they are even sending them out to 2mbit users because they are "heavily" affecting the network, so apparently 20mbit users who download 3-4TB/month have less effect on the network than 2mbit users who do aorund 3-4GB/Month.

As i said, you only have to be on that STM list more than 3 times to get a letter.

As it is right now it seems VM are only sending them to people on lower tiers...

And they are not sending letters to all customers, alot of customers still have no idea what STM is and VM are quite content in not letting them know.

As to why they are sending letters out, most would believe that right now its to force people to upgrade (thinking they need to because they are so heavy users!)

Horace
06-06-2008, 12:25
I think sending letters out about STM is a good move by Virgin as so many customer dont know this and could reduce calls to TSC dont like STM but I can live with it a

Exactly, it's just informing the rest of the customers what most of us already know.
Most ISP's already implement some kind of capping and from what I've seen it's usually much worse than STM (excluding the lowest tier which should never have had the ridiculous limits imposed in the first place).

TraxData
06-06-2008, 12:26
Exactly, it's just informing the rest of the customers what most of us already know.
Most ISP's already implement some kind of capping and from what I've seen it's usually much worse than STM (excluding the lowest tier which should never have had the ridiculous limits imposed in the first place).

Be dont implement any sort of capping, Nor do Sky, infact, nor do UKOnline or any half decent ADSL/+2 Isp's and the ones that do (ADSL24 for example) have clear bandwith allowance, no messing about shaping you, they tell you what ur allowed.

VM just want to keep shouting unlimited while taking upto 75% of your connection from you :td:

xspeedyx
06-06-2008, 12:40
Be dont implement any sort of capping, Nor do Sky, infact, nor do UKOnline or any half decent ADSL/+2 Isp's and the ones that do (ADSL24 for example) have clear bandwith allowance, no messing about shaping you, they tell you what ur allowed.

VM just want to keep shouting unlimited while taking upto 75% of your connection from you :td:

I understand where your coming from but they will start at some point all ISP's will as research shows the ADSL network could be that oversubscribed by 2010 the internet will come to a hault, but I gues BE, Sky and UKOnline will be ok I know u hate VM but trax atleast they are starting to move in the right direction and sending letters to people maybe not with stm and phorm but 50Mb been release free upgrades for 4Mb people VM aint that bad nor that good but give em a lil chance I know I am at the mo as I know what VM can be but need the money which they dont but they are using alittle more wisely I.E ubr's been upgraded and release of DOCSIS 3.0 aint gonna be cheap to do this.

Trax u didnt answer me who u with now then for bb?

TraxData
06-06-2008, 13:50
I understand where your coming from but they will start at some point all ISP's will as research shows the ADSL network could be that oversubscribed by 2010 the internet will come to a hault, but I gues BE, Sky and UKOnline will be ok I know u hate VM but trax atleast they are starting to move in the right direction and sending letters to people maybe not with stm and phorm but 50Mb been release free upgrades for 4Mb people VM aint that bad nor that good but give em a lil chance I know I am at the mo as I know what VM can be but need the money which they dont but they are using alittle more wisely I.E ubr's been upgraded and release of DOCSIS 3.0 aint gonna be cheap to do this.

Trax u didnt answer me who u with now then for bb?

Come to a hault? ok now i'm laughin very hard.

People who come out with that sort of stuff have no idea what their going on about, there is plenty of bandwith to go around (on backbones/central at least, infrastructure within ISP's is nothing to do with that, they should upgrade when neccessary, plus cisco etc has come out with even faster port access now as well)

Be wont inplement STM/Shaping, they actually care about customers and if something is getting close to full subscription they disable signups for that area until upgrades have been done, you'll never see VM doing that, they are quite happy to put customers on ubrs no matter how overloaded they are.

50mbit, right direction? let's see, £47/month for a 50mbit connection with a really really poor upload (worst ratio in the whole of the UK) which will cripple if you multitask AND has STM.

There is literally no point in such a high speed connection when your not allowed to use it.

Then there is the application throttling that is being trialled, Again, what's the point?

That's moving in the right direction?

They are not moving to docsis3, they are moving to pre-docsis3 ;)

VM have plenty of money..they just waste it.

xspeedyx
06-06-2008, 14:27
People who say a company cares about there customer is talking **** excuse me mods. I guess traxs u didnt read the articale in webuser which I did and I was just pointing it out if vm start doing this people will wise up and will change fair enough but vm then would relise and change it i.e the prem number for support has not changed because they found out people where leaving in hurds as for your 2.5mbit upload comments there are only a small number of people to get that as we all know how adsl works plus I spke to be before about speeds and they can give me 1Mb down and BT could give me 3Mb down so BE sound great to me

TraxData
06-06-2008, 14:30
People who say a company cares about there customer is talking **** excuse me mods. I guess traxs u didnt read the articale in webuser which I did and I was just pointing it out if vm start doing this people will wise up and will change fair enough but vm then would relise and change it i.e the prem number for support has not changed because they found out people where leaving in hurds as for your 2.5mbit upload comments there are only a small number of people to get that as we all know how adsl works plus I spke to be before about speeds and they can give me 1Mb down and BT could give me 3Mb down so BE sound great to me

I think it works out that roughly 70% of people can get high speeds on ADSL+2, problem is alot of people use speedtests to test their speed which as you know is very unreliable, so sites which publish what speeds people get are often wrong.

No, i'm sorry, your wrong, Be care about their customers, how many O2/Be customers do you see unhappy? people who work for Be are happy as well as they treat staff well.

UKOnline is also a very nice company who treat customers well, as do ADSL24.

There is alot of crap companies about, but still a good few honest ones as well :)

VM have lost a fair amount of customers to Be, actually.

Most only go to Be for that extra amount of upload (which nearly all Be customers can get)

xspeedyx
06-06-2008, 14:43
I think it works out that roughly 70% of people can get high speeds on ADSL+2, problem is alot of people use speedtests to test their speed which as you know is very unreliable, so sites which publish what speeds people get are often wrong.

No, i'm sorry, your wrong, Be care about their customers, how many O2/Be customers do you see unhappy? people who work for Be are happy as well as they treat staff well.

UKOnline is also a very nice company who treat customers well, as do ADSL24.

There is alot of crap companies about, but still a good few honest ones as well :)

VM have lost a fair amount of customers to Be, actually.

Most only go to Be for that extra amount of upload (which nearly all Be customers can get)

I see what ur saying trax but I need proof as I doubt that BE can offer 2.5Mb upload to 70% customers as that would mean ALL ADSL companies could do it which they dont

TraxData
06-06-2008, 14:44
I see what ur saying trax but I need proof as I doubt that BE can offer 2.5Mb upload to 70% customers as that would mean ALL ADSL companies could do it which they dont

I think you'll find nearly ALL adsl+2 companies now offer at least 1mbit upload (google around) apart from the cheap crap ones.

ADSL+2 can do 2.5mbit (maximum) upload, the reason some wont provide it is nothing to do with distance from exchange etc its because isps have to cough up more money for upload bandwith.

You can be 3km away from the exchange and still get 2.5mbit upload, download would be crap most likely, however.

xspeedyx
06-06-2008, 14:57
no offense still no proof trax?

TraxData
06-06-2008, 15:00
no offense still no proof trax?

Google is your friend, darth.

chickendippers
06-06-2008, 15:08
A monthly transfer limit doesn't solve the problems of bandwidth. There is still a maximum limit to the amount of data that can go through the broadband network simultaneously. A monthly transfer limit as implemented by certain suppliers does nothing to solve this problem.

Whilst I'm not happy at having my connection slowed occasionally, it's certainly a more relevant attempt to fix the problem and I appreciate that.

Hugh
06-06-2008, 16:47

Agree with you about Be, but Sky do have this info lurking in their Broadband Terms (http://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/broadband/terms)
"Sky relies on our users being fair and considerate of others in their broadband usage. If one person is excessive in their use, this may result in a temporary loss of service quality and speed for other users.

Currently, however, our FUP has no effect on our broadband users because we have sufficient capacity. Even in the future, as long as you do not use Sky Broadband excessively, for example, use file sharing software (including peer-to-peer) or regularly download very large files, you will most probably never be affected by the policy."

"If, in our reasonable opinion, you have breached this FUP we may contact you to let you know that your usage is excessive and is affecting the Sky Network.

If after we have contacted you initially your usage continues to be excessive, we will contact you again to ask you to reduce your usage. If after a reasonable period of time your usage still remains excessive then we may do one or more of the following things by notice in writing:

(a) impose a monthly usage cap on your use of Sky Broadband which you must not exceed;
(b) group you together with other users in the same excessive usage category as you;
(c) charge you fair and reasonable costs for your excessive usage (and any reasonable administration costs);
(d) suspend your use of Sky Broadband;
(e) suspend some or all of your Email Tools;
(f) end your Contract in accordance with Condition 11 of your Contract; "

Now, they at least have the courtesy to contact customers, unlike a well-known Cable Company, but it still looks like a cap to me.

TraxData
06-06-2008, 16:54
Agree with you about Be, but Sky do have this info lurking in their Broadband Terms (http://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/broadband/terms)
"Sky relies on our users being fair and considerate of others in their broadband usage. If one person is excessive in their use, this may result in a temporary loss of service quality and speed for other users.

Currently, however, our FUP has no effect on our broadband users because we have sufficient capacity. Even in the future, as long as you do not use Sky Broadband excessively, for example, use file sharing software (including peer-to-peer) or regularly download very large files, you will most probably never be affected by the policy."

"If, in our reasonable opinion, you have breached this FUP we may contact you to let you know that your usage is excessive and is affecting the Sky Network.

If after we have contacted you initially your usage continues to be excessive, we will contact you again to ask you to reduce your usage. If after a reasonable period of time your usage still remains excessive then we may do one or more of the following things by notice in writing:

(a) impose a monthly usage cap on your use of Sky Broadband which you must not exceed;
(b) group you together with other users in the same excessive usage category as you;
(c) charge you fair and reasonable costs for your excessive usage (and any reasonable administration costs);
(d) suspend your use of Sky Broadband;
(e) suspend some or all of your Email Tools;
(f) end your Contract in accordance with Condition 11 of your Contract; "

Now, they at least have the courtesy to contact customers, unlike a well-known Cable Company, but it still looks like a cap to me.

Despite what their FUP says they dont shape at all.

They have a soft limit of 500GB/Month And a hard limit of 750GB/Month.

Their FUP basically is saying dont hammer the network to hell and you'll be fine.

And let's face it, only people affected by skys FUP is the people who have torrents running literally 24/7.

Be are great, if i ever move again that's who i'll be going to.

xspeedyx
06-06-2008, 16:57
So who do you use Trax?

TraxData
06-06-2008, 17:02
So who do you use Trax?

Ask4 25mbit both ways £50/month

VM when @ gfs

Sirius
06-06-2008, 17:41
As i said, you only have to be on that STM list more than 3 times to get a letter.

As it is right now it seems VM are only sending them to people on lower tiers...

Sorry but thats Wrong

I am on 20 meg btw

I got one yesterday, I filed it in the bloody bin, Same place VM's service will be if they send the phorm one next.

xspeedyx
06-06-2008, 17:45
Ask4 25mbit both ways £50/month

VM when @ gfs

Off topic I know but bloody hell Trax I have just seen where u must live fair play dude

TraxData
06-06-2008, 18:12
Sorry but thats Wrong

I am on 20 meg btw

I got one yesterday, I filed it in the bloody bin, Same place VM's service will be if they send the phorm one next.

Read your PM, i explained to you how it works :)

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

Off topic I know but bloody hell Trax I have just seen where u must live fair play dude

:p::p::p:

xspeedyx
06-06-2008, 18:23
any chance you could do what u did for sirus for me please so I can see how it works

AbyssUnderground
07-06-2008, 00:09
any chance you could do what u did for sirus for me please so I can see how it works

And me please. Cheers :)

TheDon
07-06-2008, 00:20
Despite what their FUP says they dont shape at all.

They have a soft limit of 500GB/Month And a hard limit of 750GB/Month.

Their FUP basically is saying dont hammer the network to hell and you'll be fine.

And let's face it, only people affected by skys FUP is the people who have torrents running literally 24/7.

Be are great, if i ever move again that's who i'll be going to.

You know, I'm getting this massive sense of de ja vu. I could have sworn that you used to hear this exact same stuff about VM. An unenforced FUP and no chance of us ever getting caps or throttled because it's cable. And yet here we sit with STM.

Just because they don't enforce it now it doesn't mean they won't in future.

TraxData
07-06-2008, 01:21
You know, I'm getting this massive sense of de ja vu. I could have sworn that you used to hear this exact same stuff about VM. An unenforced FUP and no chance of us ever getting caps or throttled because it's cable. And yet here we sit with STM.

Just because they don't enforce it now it doesn't mean they won't in future.

I've never said that, what i have said is there would never be a download limit, which technically is still true and to this day i dont argue that point, i argue over STM because its majorly flawed thus not unlimited.

Pushkar
07-06-2008, 09:20
I download something between 200-400gb a month, no letter, strange :D

xspeedyx
07-06-2008, 09:50
Depends you might not of hit STM

Sirius
07-06-2008, 10:09
I download something between 200-400gb a month, no letter, strange :D

How many times have you hit STM in the last week ?

xspeedyx
07-06-2008, 11:05
most likely not 3 times

woot woot 1600 post

bigalt
07-06-2008, 11:51
I got one of these.

Well Duh, I already know why the connection slowed down:D

On the 2Mb and no intention of upgrading.

AbyssUnderground
07-06-2008, 12:18
Maybe I'll hit STM 3 times in a week, get a letter and tell them where to shove it :D

bikeman
07-06-2008, 17:05
VM's website says very clearly 'no download limits' - I trust they are going to change their sales blurb...

xspeedyx
07-06-2008, 17:10
Its unlimited download not unlimited speed

AbyssUnderground
07-06-2008, 17:19
Its unlimited download not unlimited speed

Its actually not either. It should be "up to xxMbps, unmetered data transfer" not "unlimited" or "unlimited downloads" as they mean there is no restriction on speed or data transfer ;) I could argue that I wasn't able to download 4TB of data this evening because of a speed restriction. ;) Its all about wording, and something should be done about it. An ISP who throttles these days doesn't deserve to be called a real ISP.

Kymmy
07-06-2008, 18:36
Three little letters currently mean that they can get away with anything, hence the latest OFCOM guidelines,

and they are F.U.P.

Kymmy

zaax
07-06-2008, 21:32
So are people saying they should be provided with unlimited speed? After all, even without STM you are limited in the amount you can download by the connection speed.

You can download unlimited quantities, just with STM in place it may take longer to do so.

So it's not unlimited then

Hugh
07-06-2008, 21:46
So it's not unlimited then
Not to be rude, but the war of the definitions has been done to death (imho) in many, many, many other threads....... ;)

Tarantella
07-06-2008, 22:14
Not to be rude, but the war of the definitions has been done to death (imho) in many, many, many other threads....... ;)

Probably so, but just for completeness if I was on on a a 2mb BB connection what would my download limit be for a week and if I'm on a 2mb VM connection what would my download limit for the week be then?

homealone
07-06-2008, 22:34
Probably so, but just for completeness if I was on on a a 2mb BB connection what would my download limit be for a week and if I'm on a 2mb VM connection what would my download limit for the week be then?

as you have stated the question - they would be exactly the same ;) :erm:

ceedee
07-06-2008, 23:39
as you have stated the question - they would be exactly the same ;) :erm:

I really hate to add fuel to the STM fire but surely that's incorrect?

I CBA to work out how many hours in a week the OP would have her/his speed capped (if attempting to download at the full available speed 24/7) but there's no denying that STM *does* reduce how much data you can download over a finite period of time.
(Even if it does work out to be far more than a comparable ADSL ISP would permit.)

CrowmanUK
08-06-2008, 10:41
Spot on Ceedee, theres no way a 2meg stm'd connection could download as much as a 2meg un-stm'd connection if they were both left running 24/7.

nemesis01
09-06-2008, 08:11
Although I no longer have any issues with the STM (I download during the night now) it seems to me VM are on a slippery slope, just begging for somebody to take them to court over the blatant false advertising, although with the amount of incompetent judges (incompetent in the respect of they seem to know nothing about technology) in this country it probably wouldn't get anywhere. Still, be nice to see one of the ISP's who do traffic manage to this level be made to explain to their customers how much they mislead them with their stupid unlimited adverts.

I share my 20MB with my brother, who obviously pays half the bill, and I reckon that is the only reason I am still on 20MB as £37 pm for a service with all these limits is not worth it at all now.:(

LostintheNW
09-06-2008, 08:39
I'm still waiting for my letter as I am a heavy downloader according to VM as I have the cheek to download demos from xbox live - or download an arcade game or play games online. Wouldn't mind if every day I decided to download the whole of xbox live but I don't, the majority of the stuff I download doesn't go over 700 meg - but this is enough to put me on STM constantly (and I am on a 20meg connection!).

I agree with the comments that the service is no longer value for money at all, its not unlimited no matter how much the sales and retentions people tell you it is - as how can I be on an unlimited 20meg service, but capped to 5meg?!?!

When my letter does turn up I will accidently open up my wireless router and let everyone around me download what they want when they want (and I bet this is the one and only letter that virgin send out that I will recieve as the others they claim to send about notifying us of other things never seem to arrive...)

nomadking
09-06-2008, 09:08
I'm on 'M' service(2Mb) at the moment, if I upgrade to 'L' and end up on 10Mb, even when affected by STM I can still download at min speed of 2.5Mb which is a slightly bigger impact than a 2Mb non STM affected service. So if 2Mb is a problem, why isn't a minimum of 2.5Mb also a problem, never mind if I upgraded to 'XL' with a minimum speed of 5Mb.

Does anyone yet know what will happen if you're still affected by the daytime STM at 5pm and then trigger the evening STM at the same time.

Matth
10-06-2008, 22:48
It is smoke and mirrors, certainly the 2Mbit service capping is about defining a bottom of the barrel service, and if it gets any further cuts, then instead of wondering about dropping the BT line (2 phone lines, one BT, one VM, and really only need one these days), then it will be the VM services that are in the firing line.

Sky do up to 8Mbit, 40Gb quota for a fiver on top of any TV package, TalkTalk do it for the price of a phone call package - are VM so much better than they are to do 2Mbit for £17 a month? (or £20 with phone line bundle - I will NOT compare half price offers, because the others are not temprary offers!)

That is the thing - unless you have a really convoluted new customer, retention / loyalty deal, Virgin's lowest broadband already looks overpriced and underperforming compared to to at least 2 other options, even before they start tinkering with STM.

arcamalpha2004
11-06-2008, 04:45
Think they mean because Virgin Media are still advertising unlimited downloads. Which your still getting an unlimited service, just VM are stating don't download it all during peak hours and spoil the other users access, which is fair enough.

So now they are telling customers what times they can use the service they are paying top buck for if that customer is to get what they pay for?
" Broadband, the truth the whole truth " :erm:
Lying vm.

---------- Post added at 04:45 ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 ----------

And in all respect a definition is the same for everyone, definitions do not just apply to some and not others.

Hugh
11-06-2008, 22:05
So now they are telling customers what times they can use the service they are paying top buck for if that customer is to get what they pay for?
" Broadband, the truth the whole truth " :erm:
Lying vm.

---------- Post added at 04:45 ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 ----------

And in all respect a definition is the same for everyone, definitions do not just apply to some and not others.
I concur - I was neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the poster's definition, just pointing out that this road had been travelled many, many times before.

Maggy
12-06-2008, 12:39
Well I've received this letter...

:confused:

I would not regard myself as a heavy downloader and I have already adjusted my downloading behaviour...I think I shall have to have a word with my son...

Are we sure this letter is just being sent to 'heavy' users?

What is going to happen if I keep falling foul of this STM thing?

TraxData
12-06-2008, 14:07
Well I've received this letter...

:confused:

I would not regard myself as a heavy downloader and I have already adjusted my downloading behaviour...I think I shall have to have a word with my son...

Are we sure this letter is just being sent to 'heavy' users?

What is going to happen if I keep falling foul of this STM thing?

As i said, if you hit STM more than 3 times in 1 month your classed as a heavy downloader and put a "naughty" list shall we say, then your added to another list where it will randomly pick names out from the *heavy* downloaders and post them off.

This way people on all tiers will get the letters heavy downloaders or not.

arcamalpha2004
12-06-2008, 14:34
So vm's latest advertising " The whole truth " is a lie?
" Are you getting the speed you pay for ? "
Well sorry, but if they're shaping it then vm had better look long and hard in the bloody mirror, gang of con artists.

RealDiamond
12-06-2008, 23:21
So if you hit the upload limit 4 times and get capped. Will you get this letter then or not traxdata.
or is it purely for down loaders.

bmxbandit
12-06-2008, 23:34
Got one of the letters today, although we use a fair bit (~30-40 gig a month, between 6 computers, and the heavy downloads overnight on the server) I doubt we're the ones they're really after... :shrug:

Do hit the STM a day or two most weeks though, so is to be expected I guess. Not going to change habits anyway!

Edit: As soon as they get round to upgrading Notts we probably won't hit STM anyway...

Maggy
12-06-2008, 23:53
My husband has been completely unaware of this issue(he's bored by the internet) and on reading this letter said it appears to be a 'fishing' letter to get people to upgrade.

Re-reading it myself I have to say it does seem a little ambiguous in that it doesn't specifically say that I've fallen foul of the STM just that I may do so.

bmxbandit
13-06-2008, 00:00
I distinctly got that impression, too.

Sirius
13-06-2008, 06:49
Had the letter and i am on 20 meg. I dumped it in the bin and have now thanks to that letter changed my download habits, I will be downloading how and when i like and not bother to download overnight any more. Why should i bother to try and not affect other users when VM will lie and change the rules to see fit.

Also the information i received from someone within VM says if you hit STM 3 times in a WEEK and then you WILL get a letter if you do that. Looks like VM will be spending a lot on stamps for me then :LOL:

Welshchris
14-06-2008, 01:59
Just had the letter about BB usage.
I don't download many mp3's but I have been watching Lost online.
OH plays online poker nearly every night - will this have an effect on his game.
Does it also take into account web pages etc. that you visit.e.g iPlayer and the like, and emails and stuff?
Is this Virgins' way of getting us to increase our BB package?
I'm on 2mb, but have been thinking of going to 20mb with the VIP package.

if i recieve one i will just get a BT line and Sky, they will loose me for Internet, TV and Phone + films i sometimes order off them.

buba3d
14-06-2008, 12:52
They better drop the price by a HUGE sum because the price we pay for a not even sub standard sevice has gone way beyond a joke now.