PDA

View Full Version : Ofcom Voluntary Code For ISP Speed Claims

Impz2002
05-06-2008, 08:33
Ofcom have released thier voluntary code for ISP speed claims. Also it states they must inform users about usage caps and when they are reached.

Not sure if VM will regard thier STM as a cap ! maybe ofcom will see different !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7437097.stm

Impz

Dephormation
05-06-2008, 08:48
Ah voluntary.

That would be like 'honesty' being a voluntary code of behaviour too.

:(

Magilla
05-06-2008, 09:46
"alerting customers when they have breached usage limits"

I presume that means informing users when they're being shaped.. on a daily basis.

Hope so!

xspeedyx
05-06-2008, 09:50
You can check that anyways plus STM wouldnt come under usage limit as there is no fixed usage beofre you have to pay more or cut you off

Magilla
05-06-2008, 09:53
But there is a fixed usage limit before you're capped.

I'll write to Ofcom to clarify.

Kymmy
05-06-2008, 10:12
Yep, was just about to say that VM have never hidden thier usage limits unlike most ADSL FUP's. It's always been on the website (if you know where to look ;)) and is accessable by non subscribers.

If this goes through then I think it'll effect ADSL more than cable and might even improve ADSL. I know that I ended up on VM due to ADSL restricting my accounts due to going over thier 40GB hidden limits.

Kymmy

v0id
05-06-2008, 11:57
So this will be something like they do in Canada then

Magilla
05-06-2008, 14:17
From the register:-

""Fair use" limits will come under welcome new scrutiny. Compliant ISPs will be required to email customers when a fair use limit is breached, and be clear what the consequences are in terms of line speed or additional costs. They should "consider" warning users who approach the limit."

mcmanic
06-06-2008, 09:14
lol, i can see VM sending out thousands of e-mails everyday to all customers who are nearing STM target, then another e-mail when you have gone over explaining why.....................NOT!, lol

but to be fair VM should not be advertising unlimited BB anymore, they have twisted the word to suit themselves, unlimited should be changed to restricted during peak hours of 10.AM to 9.00PM or even more if they introduce nightime STM as well. Whole thing is becomming a joke,

Impz2002
06-06-2008, 09:27
from what i have read about the Cisco CMTS it is possible to have it send an email to a customer to alert them when they are being traffic shaped. I see it as only fair that people are informed that they have hit this limit and will be penalised for it. i dont mind STM to be honest as i have a seedbox and i just download to that and then download what i need to my PC from there.

Virgin are so obtuse with things like this, i think we need to put pressure on OFCOM to ensure VM plays fair as STM is a limit as it limits how much information i can download in a set period of time. It is the same as setting a usage cap as if you used your connection 24/7 at full speed you could donwload alot more data than if you were STM'ed. I think we need some transparency here and a little common sense regulation from OFCOM.

Impz

Magilla
06-06-2008, 11:44
Does anyone know when the code comes into force?

Is it up and running already.. doesn't seem to be much info on when it's to be rolled out.

ntluser
06-06-2008, 11:46
From what I've read it will mean little or no change for ISPs.

They will police heavy users to ensure that the network is able to cope with the rest of us.

Virgin will only tell customers what they can ( and do already) provide, which puts us miles away from a situation where you can get the best speeds anywhere in the UK and where all customers will get equal service.

Basically,it is business as usual with no real requirement to give customers a well organised national internet service.