PDA

View Full Version : new ntl broadband customer - will not let me register

cheesesarnie
17-08-2005, 01:15
hello, i had broadband installed on friday and I've not been able to register at all since then. I've made countless calls to customer service & tech support (uk&india) but i've just been fobbed off over and over again.

Using the installation disc (or the autoreg method) i receive my username etc but when I ok T&C's I always get a error message (home winXP)

I've been told a) i've no payment details setup b) theres a problem with ntl servers c) there is no problem anywhere d) to keep trying.

I've left my phone number a number of times but I've never had a call back.

I sent a long email on Sunday and have had no response.
I really dont know where to turn with this. Customer services say they cannot see notes regarding many of my calls which doesnt help & various people in technical keep telling me to try again in 12/24 hours (which I keep doing).

if it helps I've been given a stand alone modem (but i also have digital tv/phone etc)

i hope someone can give me some advice because I am completely in limbo with this one.

many thanks

tony

Raistlin
17-08-2005, 01:18
Hi cheesesarnie,

Firstly, :welcome: to Cable Forum :)

Secondly, what's the error message you get when the registration fails?

That might give us a bit more clue as to what the problem is, hopefully we can get you sorted before the modem takes a trip out the window :D

cheesesarnie
17-08-2005, 01:29
hello raistlin

sorry for not being too specific but the pc is upstairs and the broadband wire is in the living room so the pc is backwards and forwards upstairs (keep the wife happy)....

when I've said 'I agree' to the T&C's it says something like 'error, unable to register terms and conditions, please contact technical support on 0845 etc.' (i figure it must be working modem wise as i receive my username back from them)

extra problem today, when I tried it approx 10pm tonight I tried to close the install process after the error and it locked on the install screen...5 reboots later and every time i stick the install disk in I get back to the same stuck place so I've no idea how to even try another install now....was hoping for miracles overnight!...

the last 2 tech people I spoke to in india claimed they could see the problem at ntl end but both said theres a reset every 12 hours which will sort.....it hasn't....

if this adds anything, i've been given 2 extra pin number so now i have three....none of which work!

cheers

tony

Raistlin
17-08-2005, 01:37
sorry for not being too specific but the pc is upstairs and the broadband wire is in the living room so the pc is backwards and forwards upstairs (keep the wife happy)....

:LOL:

Yep, anything for a quiet life :)

when I've said 'I agree' to the T&C's it says something like 'error, unable to register terms and conditions, please contact technical support on 0845 etc.' (i figure it must be working modem wise as i receive my username back from them)

Hmmmm..... tat's not sounding too good, it almost sounds like something hasn't quite been done right when NTL have set the account up at their end (either that or part of their system has fallen over somewhere). Hopefully one of our resident NTL staffers will have a better idea on this one.

extra problem today, when I tried it approx 10pm tonight I tried to close the install process after the error and it locked on the install screen...5 reboots later and every time i stick the install disk in I get back to the same stuck place so I've no idea how to even try another install now....was hoping for miracles overnight!...

Ok, stop using the install disc :) I know that sounds stupid, but you really don't need it (the only reason that you really need the disc is if you are connecting the modem to your PC via a USB cable - I suspect that the drivers have already been installed now so you shouldn't need the disc any more).
There's a manual address that you can type into your web browser that will take you to the registration screen to input your details, I'll try to find it for you :)

the last 2 tech people I spoke to in india claimed they could see the problem at ntl end but both said theres a reset every 12 hours which will sort.....it hasn't....

:rolleyes:

if this adds anything, i've been given 2 extra pin number so now i have three....none of which work!

Which obviously confuses things even more, I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge (possibly insider ;) ) of the install process will be along soon :) Maybe they will be able to shed some more light on this.

cheesesarnie
17-08-2005, 01:39
thanks all....really hope so....

atlantis
17-08-2005, 01:46
Tony,
Welcome to the boards.
Sound like similar probs I had, wrong PIN number (or in my case, no pin number as NTL's welcome letter got lost in mail).
I had to ring tech support, but used the 0800-052-2000 number (not indian call centre), then the guy couldn't find my account details, let alone correct pin, but I kept him on the line untill he found everything, gave me the correct pin, and kept him waiting further whilst I tested it and made sure everything worked OK, which it did, bar the bit where it says it's testing your account with NTL's email servers, say it fails, at that point, I was advised to click on cancel, ignor the not completed software warning, and to load my email details into whatever client I am using (outlook), and it worked!
Keep onto NTL, and try getting someone from the UK to help you sort it out.
Three PIN numbers are very very wrong!

Mick
17-08-2005, 02:14
Hi Tony, :welcome: to the site.

If you would like to send me a private message, with some details. I will forward them on to our ntl contact in the morning, for ntl to investigate and resolve your issue. To send me a private message, click on my name on this post and select from the drop down menu, the option to send me a private message. Thanks. :)