PDA

View Full Version : BT Box to NTE5 Master socket

microbar
04-06-2008, 11:42
I have had to report noise on my phone line on 3 occasions over the last year now,
And it looks like the fault lies with my internal wiring,
I moved into the property in 1986
My bt cable comes through the window recess and firstly terminates into a small bt box
As shown in the picture,
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/microbar123/P1010029.jpg
Then a piece of old cable goes from this box to my NTE5 master socket
I have looked at many of my friends bt installation but they do not have this box as in the picture but
Instead a cable just comes through and terminates into there NTE5 Master socket,
Bt said they would send someone out from open reach but this would cost me £140
My question is can I legally remove this box as in the picture and connect the wiring directly to my
NTE5 box thankyou for your help.

Stuart
04-06-2008, 12:10
As far as I know, legally you cannot remove the line from the box, as both are BT property. I doubt that there is anything technical stopping you, but you run the risk of BT charging you if they have to repair the line in future.

BTW, :welcome: to the forum.

greencreeper
04-06-2008, 12:32
Pffff. Like hell they'd charge me £140 - amounts to blackmail. Look at the state of it - hardly modern, is it. I'd kick up a fuss - see where it gets you.

microbar
04-06-2008, 15:47
Here is a pic of the inside of the box,
Just wondered is it some kind of filter
and would this cause the noise problems on my line ?

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/microbar123/P1010030.jpg

iain_herts
04-06-2008, 18:58
hi no its not a filter it is a BT version on a chocolate block.

the black cable coming through the window is for outsite use and contains toxin's which is why they use that device to they can swap it to indoor cable which is safe.

if u have a look u will see that there are pairs of the same colour connected together

Graham M
04-06-2008, 19:12
Yeah its just a Choc Block with IDC terminals instead of screw ones as Iain says :)

microbar
04-06-2008, 22:47
So who is responsable if a fault develops between this choc block
And the cable that comes from it to the NTE5 Cable,

As I keep getting noise on my line and have to move the cable slightly
from the choc box to stop the noise,

I have reported noise on my line 4 times in the last 6 month,
And its obviously coming from the box or cable before the NTE5 Box.

But every time I ask for openreach to check this i am warned off by bt
They threaten me with a charge of £140

it looks as though I will be terminating my line with bt

I dont know what to do I am disabled and need a telephone
I tried to order my prescription 3 times today but could not here the other person on the phone for the line noise.

Graham M
04-06-2008, 23:23
They are responsible for everything up to your master socket so I dont think you would have to pay for it

MovedGoalPosts
05-06-2008, 00:02
Everything on the street side of your NTE5 Master socket, including the master socket itself, is the responsibility of the Telco. If you have extensions unplug them so only the master socket remains. From there, if you have more problems with a noisy line fault it has to be the telco's line problem. Stop talking to them that you have a concern about your internal wiring condition. Just keep reporting it as a fault on the service to your property.

jcw00
05-06-2008, 22:51
Everything on the street side of your NTE5 Master socket, including the master socket itself, is the responsibility of the Telco. If you have extensions unplug them so only the master socket remains. From there, if you have more problems with a noisy line fault it has to be the telco's line problem. Stop talking to them that you have a concern about your internal wiring condition. Just keep reporting it as a fault on the service to your property.

You need to remove the extension sockets, not just the phones. So only the master socket is left. If the noise goes away, then it's your internal wiring/sockets at fault. If the noise remains then it's BT fault, and they must fix FOC.

Graham M
05-06-2008, 23:03
If you take the fascia off of the master socket it will reveal a test socket into which your extensions and the outside socket normally plug, plug your line directly into this, this will cut out all of your extensions, there is no need to unpick the wiring!

RDDearing
05-06-2008, 23:13
Posted a picture in another post plus a quick description on removal if it helps.

Post is at: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34564232-post6.html

microbar
06-06-2008, 03:28
I dont have any extensions just my master socket
I called to cancel my bt account today as bt keep warning me of possible charges,
I got through to a guy in india he passed me to his supervisor
And I said I was that fed up with BTs black mail I wanted to cancel my BT account he sorted out a free visit from an engineer this saturday,

He said as long as my phone was not causing the noise,
And I did not have any faulty extensions on my line,

Then the call out would be free
and hopefully the engineer will now replace the offending cable or box
fingers crossed. ;)

Paul K
06-06-2008, 06:54
There is never a charge unless fault lies with CPE (Customer premis equipment) so you would not be charged for the call out unless something you have done or plugged in has caused the problem. As long as you have checked the test socket (if there is one) you should be safe, if the extension wiring is to blame on your side of the main socket then prepare for a bill.

PeteTheMusicGuy
06-06-2008, 09:28
When the advisor told you there would be a charge and how much they were telling you the worst possible outcome

As Paul as pointed out they don’t charge unless it’s a CPE issue :)

Matth
06-06-2008, 21:48
Unless the master box is an unofficial bodge job, replacing a former wired BT phone or old style plugpoint, then the master box and everything to streetside of it is their problem (unless the damage to it is your fault).

The way it's wired does suggest that it might be unofficial - it seems rather messy - those individual wires should not be visible outside the box, or maybe that means it IS official, though if it was like that when you arrived, then blame the previous owner.

x-openreach
22-06-2008, 16:30
Hi microbar

that is an official BT job, those connectors are used to seperate the outdoor dropwire from the internal wiring (as iain said)

by the look of it , the terminals are corroded hence the noise.

As to whether you will be charged -depends on the engineer. Officially all wiring upto the NTE (master socket) is maintained by your SP, however if you damage it or cause a fault then they can charge you. In some cases people have been charged for damp in connection blocks due to their windows causing the damp!

Let us know if you get charged or not :)

microbar
22-06-2008, 17:05
I wont be charged I am waiting to the end of my option 3 contract
approx 3 months,
Then I will cease my connection with BT
Although I need a phone line as I am disabled
I will use mobile for my phone and use the mobile internet,
I am sick and tired of BT Using its charge threatining tactics.
So BT can stick its openreach were the sun dont shine.:mad:

Stuart
22-06-2008, 18:44
I will use mobile for my phone and use the mobile internet,

I'd be careful doing that. Some "unlimited" mobile tariffs have quite low limits..