PDA

View Full Version : retentions current number?

Zain
02-06-2008, 21:52
hey,

can anyone tell me the current virgin retention number please..and when there open-closed...cheers!

Ben B
02-06-2008, 21:57
Hi Zain,

As far as I know you just ring the standard customer care number which is 150 on a virgin phone and 08454541111 from any other landline and select the option for if you're thinking about leaving.

Ben :)

PS Not sure about when they are open/closed

Zain
02-06-2008, 21:59
ok cheers i'll phone them tommorow and see what i can get outta them.

r00t
02-06-2008, 22:09
ok cheers i'll phone them tommorow and see what i can get outta them.

Forgive me being nosey, do you mind sharing why you need to get something "outta them"?

hokkers999
02-06-2008, 23:43
Forgive me being nosey, do you mind sharing why you need to get something "outta them"?

Because he thinks WE should all subsidise HIS viewing :mad: With a bit of luck they'll tell him "goodbye shut the door on the way out"

N00N00
03-06-2008, 00:22
Some rather unnecessarily nasty postings here.

Virgin's RRP for most products are very high indeed and the phone call charges are pretty disgusting too. Anyone not on some sort of bundle or deal is getting ripped off.

Of course he may well be someone looking to pay next to nothing. I don't particularly recommend it, but if he can negotiate a stupidly good deal then that's the fault of incompetent Virgin staff not him.

Businesses have to compete with each other - talktalk and others offer better value for a significant chunk of Virgin's customers. Virgin know they can either lower the price or lose the customer.

BenMcr
03-06-2008, 00:41
But maybe Virgin could lower the price for all customers if they didn't have to subsidise those on Customer Relations deals ;)

Sirius
03-06-2008, 06:34
Because he thinks WE should all subsidise HIS viewing :mad: With a bit of luck they'll tell him "goodbye shut the door on the way out"

Seconded :tu:

r00t
03-06-2008, 07:53
I wasn't looking to have the guy lynched, maybe Zain has had a rough ride. Thats the reason I asked.

Zain
03-06-2008, 15:32
Some rather unnecessarily nasty postings here.

Virgin's RRP for most products are very high indeed and the phone call charges are pretty disgusting too. Anyone not on some sort of bundle or deal is getting ripped off.

Of course he may well be someone looking to pay next to nothing. I don't particularly recommend it, but if he can negotiate a stupidly good deal then that's the fault of incompetent Virgin staff not him.

Businesses have to compete with each other - talktalk and others offer better value for a significant chunk of Virgin's customers. Virgin know they can either lower the price or lose the customer.

exactly my point. im not willing to pay for something im not getting full speed on espically over the weekend....im obviously going to complain for the service im not recieving but paying for arent i?

r00t
03-06-2008, 16:22
So I would think you have contacted VM support and you have been told this is an ongoing issue. High TX load, FEC errors, low SNR etc.. and it will take some time to resolve?

You should have had a rolling credit applied, when you call CR could you ask to be put through to support and get the reference number for your issue. Something this serious should be on the internal outage page.
If you could post reference/remedy code here then I'll take a look too. I hate to see good money goto waste ;)

BenMcr
03-06-2008, 16:30
You should have had a rolling credit applied

Doubtful. Rolling Credits basically do not exist anymore.

They are certainly not used for compensation

bigcats30
03-06-2008, 18:32

The guy asks for a simple bit of help and you slag him off....just because YOU can't be arsed to get off your backside and get something cheaper is NOT our problem!!! do you whine when someone asks for a discount for a new car??? <edit Rob: deleted>

Raistlin
03-06-2008, 18:42
Nice, so this thread went seriously downhill then.....

MovedGoalPosts
03-06-2008, 18:47
Can we cut out the blunt remarks against each other please

Rik
15-07-2008, 14:08
Well spoke to customer care and rentions today to pay my bill and cancel my digital tv and phone line, and must say extremely impressed with the agents i spoke to.

Customer Care was "G" and he was first class
Retentions was "O" and he was excellent as well.

I explained that i wasnt using the phoneline and wasnt watching enough tv to warrant the XL pack cost, and most of what I watch i could download or stream on web anyway :)

I wasnt talked out of it, and simply cancelled the TV and Phone, didnt haggle for a deal of the century, wasnt offered it.

I think its good that VM now arent throwing stupid deals at people that want to leave, just to keep the custom thus making no money out of them at all.

Still got 20MB broadband which im very happy with, and lets hope the STM is removed one day ;)

PowerUser
15-07-2008, 20:26
Still got 20MB broadband which im very happy with, and lets hope the STM is removed one day ;)

Sorry my friend, But I can only see this getting worse...75% reduction of service to 5mb for £37 per month is a joke....

I'm over 3km away from my ADSL exchange, and even they can offer me a better service then 5mb without any of this threshold crap...and for only £14 per month...

I'm looking into it now...

chuzzlemonkey
15-07-2008, 20:41
hey,

can anyone tell me the current virgin retention number please..and when there open-closed...cheers!

Option 4

Open: Mon to Fri - 8am to 8pm / Sat - 9am to 5pm / Sun - Closed

Sorry if this has already been posted! lol

Pbryanw
15-07-2008, 20:50
Sorry my friend, But I can only see this getting worse...75% reduction of service to 5mb for £37 per month is a joke....

Personally, I'm not a huge downloader so I haven't noticed the STM restrictions. Occasionally I might download the odd program from 4od or iPlayer but even then I might as well watch it on catch-up with my V+ Box on the main TV.

I'm sure not every Virgin customer constantly reaches their STM limits and are like me and just browse the web/check e-mail and want the fast connection for the occasional software upgrade.

whydoIneedatech
15-07-2008, 21:17
Useful Virgin numbers

Customer Care - 150 (Options 1 then 3)
Moving House - 150 (Options 2 then 1)
Disconnecting - 150 (Options 2 then 2)
Faults (Including Broadband) - 151

PowerUser
15-07-2008, 22:23
Personally, I'm not a huge downloader so I haven't noticed the STM restrictions. Occasionally I might download the odd program from 4od or iPlayer but even then I might as well watch it on catch-up with my V+ Box on the main TV.

I'm sure not every Virgin customer constantly reaches their STM limits and are like me and just browse the web/check e-mail and want the fast connection for the occasional software upgrade.

You see to me having 20Mbit just to use e-mail and download small upgrades is really ludicrous overkill..

You can do that with 4Mbit..!!

The whole reason to have a 20mbit connection is so that you can download larger data faster and Complete your download in less time freeing up the internet !!!

1.4Gb !!!!!During the most obvious part of the day when people come home from work to use there pc's, I don't call that heavy use.. so we get restricted to 5mbit,, and instead of downloading what we wanted inside 30mins then leaving the net and freeing up conjestion.. we now have a maxed out 5mb connection for over an hour instead...:banghead:

So now you have more people on the net for longer causing more conjestion then if they had quickly downloaded what they wanted and stopped :confused:

Do you see my logic here!!!

Rik
15-07-2008, 23:12

I'm over 3km away from my ADSL exchange, and even they can offer me a better service then 5mb without any of this threshold crap...and for only £14 per month...

I'm looking into it now...

I have spoke to BT and the max connection I can get as im soo far from the exchange, is 2MB!! :(

So even STMed to 5MB its still a win win situation for me, I need to stay on the 20MB tier for my 9pm onwards downloading which is *Currently* full speed, now if VM start to introduce STM after 9pm then I will certainly be straight on the phone, as two set of STM is bad enough, but adding the evening as well, well that would be commercial suicide imo.

PowerUser
16-07-2008, 09:56
I have spoke to BT and the max connection I can get as im soo far from the exchange, is 2MB!! :(

So even STMed to 5MB its still a win win situation for me, I need to stay on the 20MB tier for my 9pm onwards downloading which is *Currently* full speed, now if VM start to introduce STM after 9pm then I will certainly be straight on the phone, as two set of STM is bad enough, but adding the evening as well, well that would be commercial suicide imo.

If you don't mind me asking, what number do I need to call for BT to determine my estimated supported network speed.!!

Thanks

Druchii
16-07-2008, 10:00
If you don't mind me asking, what number do I need to call for BT to determine my estimated supported network speed.!!

Thanks
You can visit www.samknows.com (http://www.samknows.com) and type in a neighbours telephone number/address that have BT. This will give you a good estimate of what you can expect.

PowerUser
16-07-2008, 10:18
You can visit www.samknows.com (http://www.samknows.com) and type in a neighbours telephone number/address that have BT. This will give you a good estimate of what you can expect.

Good link thanks...

Even if my line only supports 2mbit, I can get Be*. which I can constantly use all day without any threshold, £14 per month for 2Mbit instead of £37 for 5Mbit...hmmm.. no brainer...and before anyone says : but you get 20mbit after 9pm until 10am next day, Sorry but that's a flawed argument, as I won't sit up early hours of the morning trying to search and dowload the things I need when I need sleep for work...

The current setup is already commercial suicide... just a shame that they can't see what is happening..

oliver1948uk
16-07-2008, 10:30
If lots of high users go to Be*, be ready for them to introduce traffic shaping. There is only so much bandwith available to any provider which may not be enough at peak times.

Taken from Be* terms and conditions:

"What about excessive network usage?
If it’s felt that any Be member’s Internet activities are so excessive that other members are detrimentally affected, Be may give the member generating the excessive web traffic a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, should the levels of activity not immediately decrease after the warning, Be may terminate that member’s services."

Also, there is a thread on here somewhere (or was it on cablehell.co.uk ) in which somebody received a warning letter from Be* about downloading something which may have been illegal. Nobody to my knowledge has ever reported receiving such a letter from VM.

ceedee
16-07-2008, 11:05
If lots of high users go to Be*, be ready for them to introduce traffic shaping. There is only so much bandwith available to any provider which may not be enough at peak times.
And that tipping point may not be far off given the rate that people are moving over to Be and O2.
On the other hand, it's much easier for ADSL providers to increase the backhaul than VM.

Also, there is a thread on here somewhere (or was it on cablehell.co.uk ) in which somebody received a warning letter from Be* about downloading something which may have been illegal. Nobody to my knowledge has ever reported receiving such a letter from VM.
Oh, I can think of 800 or so (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7486743.stm)...
;)

oliver1948uk
16-07-2008, 11:13
The letter I am referring to from Be* is far more specific.

It may be found here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/25/33629678-beunlimited-warning-of-alleged-service-abuse.html)

ceedee
16-07-2008, 12:06
I suspect that VM's warning letter (initiated from a 'complaint' by the BPI) will turn out to be very similar, Oliver.

But, unlike Be, VM have already declared that nobody will be disconnected solely on the basis of the evidence presented in the letter.

Incidentally, isn't it a bit strange that a copy of the "800 letter" hasn't found it's way onto the net?

Rik
16-07-2008, 18:54
as I won't sit up early hours of the morning trying to search and dowload the things I need when I need sleep for work...

Why do you have to sit up?
Can you not queue downloads up on your BT client or Usenet client in advance? and leave it running overnight, or are you one of these people that are soo worried about the cost of a PC would make on your energy bill, or even worse are you scared it might suddenly burst into flames overnight ;)

So im afraid your argument is flawed. ;)
The service isnt right for you, but is for others, Im not over the moon with STM, but when you compare the stupid caps and FUP/AUP with ADSL providers, im happy with the service im receiving. I would love to move to BE, but the service is not even available to me unfortunately. I do hope it goes well for you tho, whoever you change to. :)

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

Thanks

I simply asked 5 neighbours in the street ;)

watzizname
17-07-2008, 06:20
Why do you have to sit up?
Can you not queue downloads up on your BT client or Usenet client in advance? and leave it running overnight, or are you one of these people that are soo worried about the cost of a PC would make on your energy bill, or even worse are you scared it might suddenly burst into flames overnight ;)

So im afraid your argument is flawed. ;)
Of course not everyone uses newsgroups or even knows how to, a lot of folk download from freehost (like Megaupload for example) where unless you're a premium member, you do have to be there to type in the required code for just a single download.. forget queuing

And for the record, i've hit the STM limits, many times using these kinds of services & i'm certainly not a heavy downloader.

From what i understand, STM doesn't really bother light users, as they'll not hit the limits anyway, and it wont bother heavy users too much, as they'll schedule their downloads for later.

Those it hits the most, are the average users, they don't download much, but they are likely to use the connection they're paying good money to use, at a time they're most likely to be penalised for using it, as in when they're not at work or in bed asleep.

Moving to another isp that has no STM & a download limit that the average user has no interest in hitting & available when they want to use it, if they can get the speed, i say best of luck :)

Rik
17-07-2008, 17:26
Good points mentioned here, i was looking at it selfishly as im a geek and queue up downloads and download when im at work or asleep.

Looking at the average Joe bloggs user that comes home and then gets stuck in downloading whatever, i can understand the frustration.

The question is are the levels you can download before being STM'ed fair? Some people would say yes, a lot of people would say no.

I must admit BE does sound very very tempting, and if only I had it available here I would give it a test drive, but I cant see how BE can sustain a completely unlimited service for much longer what with the amount of users that are migrating to them from VM, somethings gotta give imo.

:)

burningfeetman
18-07-2008, 23:23
I contacted BE* recently (6th July) to enquire about their service, i got the following reply...

Dear <name>,

Thank you for contacting us.

I would like to inform you that the Be Pro package is true 24/7 unlimited for uploading and downloading, we keep the contention ratio 1:1 and that will help you having no up/download caps per month at all.
We don't have any plans to use Phorm on our network. In order to check what will be the speed for you we need your BT telephone number.

If you have any additional questions feel free to contact us on our toll free hotline: 0808 234 8566 or write us an e-mail.

Kind Regards
Be*Team

As i have that in an email now, i would be happy to subscribe to their network, if they alter any part that changes what i asked them about directly i will cancel my subscription with them. Im going to give retentions a ring first though, see if there is anything they can do, because once i phone up to cancel, i will already have everything else in the pipeline.

Happy surfing :)

BFM

Zhadnost
19-07-2008, 11:52
I have been very happy with Be (only a couple of cut-offs with them which is already considerably fewer than any other ADSL provider I've used).

Any contact with their support staff has been very promising too.

I think it's only fair to note that afaik, VM don't have any plans (yet) to use phorm, they are merely examining the prospect.

It may be worth trying to find out how well provisioned your exchange is for Be. When I originally signed up, bandwidth was sketchy at best (until they performed an upgrade to the exchange a couple of weeks later, and then another one a month later).

Druchii
19-07-2008, 12:00
I contacted BE* recently (6th July) to enquire about their service, i got the following reply...

Dear <name>,

Thank you for contacting us.

I would like to inform you that the Be Pro package is true 24/7 unlimited for uploading and downloading, we keep the contention ratio 1:1 and that will help you having no up/download caps per month at all.
We don't have any plans to use Phorm on our network. In order to check what will be the speed for you we need your BT telephone number.

If you have any additional questions feel free to contact us on our toll free hotline: 0808 234 8566 or write us an e-mail.

Kind Regards
Be*Team

As i have that in an email now, i would be happy to subscribe to their network, if they alter any part that changes what i asked them about directly i will cancel my subscription with them. Im going to give retentions a ring first though, see if there is anything they can do, because once i phone up to cancel, i will already have everything else in the pipeline.

Happy surfing :)

BFM
It's actually about 25:1 at the least.

That's like giving you a leased line mate, it doesn't happen ;)

Zhadnost
19-07-2008, 12:24
It's actually about 25:1 at the least.

That's like giving you a leased line mate, it doesn't happen ;)

According to their FAQ at https://www.bethere.co.uk/technicalFAQ.do on the question "Will I Really Get 24 megs?".

"We continually monitor, develop and improve our network to reflect customer numbers and usage, and our network design and policy of non-contention means that we offer the maximum achievable throughput on your line"

The weirder thing is that you appear to be only 1 hop away from a links router.

It's not really like having a leased line, it's not as costly to run, or reliable, and there isn't the same SLA.

burningfeetman
19-07-2008, 12:59
Yeah i figured that 1:1 was a bit strange, but i appreciated the non-generic response to all my questions. They replied quickly and politely and have answered enough for me to be satisfied with.

BFM