PDA

View Full Version : Copy of mail to Neil Berkett (Virgin CEO)

frustratedoftw
02-06-2008, 18:50
Hi Guys

Thought would share the contents of an email I sent to Mr Berkett, as it is probably relevant to some frustrations others have encountered when faced with Virgin Engineers and Installation 'managers'.

Just for info I am not going to share Mr Berketts email address so please don't ask. I will let you know the final outcome however...maybe I'll end up with BT and SKY...shame as unlike some people here I have actually quite enjoyed my experience with VM until this came up :(

Hello Mr Berkett
How are you?
Sorry to ping you a mail but just want to express my frustration (having been a loyal and generally very satisfied customer of Virgin and previously Blueyonder for many years) at the hassles I am having trying to get an engineer to come and install your services at my new address, so that you can begin charging me money!!! Perhaps Virgin are so well off they can afford to be without my custom, which I am seriously considering withdrawing both at my new address and my other house which I still pay the bills for.

I guess now I live in Tunbridge Wells I can change my name to disgusted…but actually frustrated is more the case
I have now spoken to perhaps 12 different people (departments?) in the Virgin set-up trying to get someone who can make an executive decision but nothing…

Quick summary of the saga so far
Called early May, got agreement to install. Letter came – installation date 23rd May
23rd May – engineers arrived and did bulk of cabling however did not leave set top box or modem. Car parked on a manhole a street away so unable to complete. Spoke to one of your guys on his mobile later, said he would be around personally the following day to fix everything. I made it clear did not have set top box or modem yet.

24th May – different engineer calls to say will be there later, guy who said he was coming is not coming. We discuss and find out he does not have set top box or modem on him and thought was on premises, despite having discussed with the other guy who called me last night. Saturday and he cannot get these from stores… Same engineer calls again at 3.30pm with a story that his mate had hit a water main in crawley and he was off to help so could not attend. I was unconvinced…

25-30th May – silence from Virgin (why??) why didn’t someone pick up on the fact that the thing was not sorted out and finish the job?

29th May – I called the engineer on his mobile and left a message – no reply to this day

30th may – I spoke to 7 different people on various Virgin contact numbers trying to sort out something. Passed from pillar to post. Nothing good came of it and no date fixed.

30th May – called engineer again on mobile – still no reply to this day

2nd June – I called Virgin again and after being put through to 3 different depts was told that my new installation date was 11th June (i.e. not far off a month from first call to you). The 11th was NEVER communicated to me by any of your staff so how are you expecting me to be there?? In fact I am away on a business trip then so would not and could not have agreed this date. Girl was adamant that 11th was earliest available date (but almost all of the work has been done it just needs joining under the manhole and installation of set-top box and modem…so not a lot of work)

Why am I having to wait so long, and why can’t your engineers finish what they started before buggering off to do another job? Why in addition was it left up to me to spend hours and pounds on the phone trying to sort this mess out. I am left with a feeling that if I hadn’t called Virgin you would NEVER have finished the job off, and maybe you never will…??

Beats me…but as a management consultant I would say that some systems and people in your organisation might need tweaking…

Anyway moan over
Lets see what happens next…have told your guys I am not here on 11th but nobody yet seems to have had the initiative to set a new date. Obviously I am after getting this mess sorted out right away, or knowing that you can’t sort it so that I can get SKY TV and BT phones and whoever as ISP…will only take me a week or so to have it all sorted if I forget Virgin…what do you recommend I do?

Yours etc

end of quote
anyone know if the engineers could legally and with health and safety regs use car jacks and axle stands to get around these problems??

Tali
02-06-2008, 23:19
I doubt very much that it would be H&S conscious to jack a car up and work from underneath it like that. Can't they knock on a few doors to see if they can find out who the car belongs to?

frustratedoftw
03-06-2008, 00:24
Well I did wonder...but probably safe enough with jacks and axle stands...although that doesn't mean to say the HS crowd would ever let an employee get near it...any priofessional installers out there got a comment? They didn't say that they knocked on doors..I assumed that they did..

Doosra
04-06-2008, 20:50
I have sent you a personal message, hope i can help.

dompsta
25-06-2008, 18:33
hi mate, im a professional cable installer. if this problem came up in our area (bournemouth) and it has before, the installations team can ring the police and have the vehicle removed from the pit in the road or on the pavement. i have had to do this on one occasion to get the installation finished. a bit extreme i know but the car is interfering with your work and can be moved. i dont know if this is something to do with the local council or not though

cheers :)