PDA

View Full Version : Tumble Dryer Problem

boxboy
02-06-2008, 18:48
Hi all,

Had a new tumble dryer delivered today and the instruction book states that i can't use an extension cord to plug itn into the wall as where it now lives it won't reach without one.

And idea's why?????

Thanks in advanvce :)

kryogenik
02-06-2008, 18:53
It's because they draw a LOT of power and many cheap extension cords may not be suitable, so they just err on the side of caution.
Get yourself a good quality one from B & Q and you've no worries. Ideally though, you should have the shortest wire possible. Make sure the extension wire isn't coiled up when in use.

:edit: Perhaps you could consider getting an electrician to wire in a slightly longer wire for you into the dryer's terminal block ?

homealone
02-06-2008, 18:58
Hi all,

Had a new tumble dryer delivered today and the instruction book states that i can't use an extension cord to plug itn into the wall as where it now lives it won't reach without one.

And idea's why?????

I'd wait for advice from someone with more credentials than me, but my first thought is they state this to prevent people using an extension lead reel, while it is still partially wound up, which is a potential fire hazard.

As far as I know, so long as the extension lead is rated for the wattage being used, is in a straight run with no coils & has the correct fuse fitted, it should be ok.

- but I would wait to get that confirmed, I have no electrical qualifications ...

<edit> Beaten to it ^ - nice one kryogenic :)

joglynne
02-06-2008, 19:05
I think it's really a safety issue as there is an extra risk of electrical overheating. If you have no alternative make sure that the extension cord is, as short as possible, 13amp rated and is 3 core so that it is earthed.

I must stop spending so much time with my electrician friend. :D

add and learn to type faster.

Nidge
02-06-2008, 21:47
Hi all,

And idea's why?????

As Kyrogenic mentioned they draw alot of power and with you having an extra length of cable it's got further to draw it's power thus placing a load through the cable, in time the cable will melt.

Watching You
02-06-2008, 23:37
Hi all,

And idea's why?????

Boxboy

Just adding to all the good advice mentioned above, are all relevant, but never forget basic physics 101, when using an extension lead you need to unroll it out fully – by leaving it partly rolled with high capacity usage creates a solenoid = heat & can cause fires, especially when people get fed up with the fuse blowing and replacing this with a pin.

Have you considered adding to the ring main the safest option; next try a builders’ merchant and purchase heavy duty three phase (type) cable and making a special extension for your machine.

boxboy
03-06-2008, 10:27
Hi guy's,

firstly many thanks for all the info and quick reply's. I think I'll go and get a phase 3 short extension.

Once again thanks guy's, as alway's this palce rock's for useful advice.
:):):):)

jmb214
20-09-2008, 00:22
I have to do the same thing with my dryer...how did the cable work out for you?

georgepomone
20-09-2008, 23:31
The stumbling block with High rated heaters etc. is the 13amp plug. Anything like dryers and heaters that are carrying a load close to 13amps can be a problem if any extra resistance is put on the supply. Anything that will lower the voltage slightly ie. extension leads will put an extra load at the plug and make it run hot. It's better if at all possible to hardwire to a fused outlet. You will soon know if you are getting this effect as the plug will be warm after only a minute or so of use.
Best to get an electrician to extend the supply cable for you. Only takes a few minutes to be on the safe side.
George.

johnnyposs
21-09-2008, 02:24
Get the chocbox to extend it. http://www.chocbox.info/index.html