PDA

View Full Version : strange problem with my nvdia nforce ethernet controller please help

Deank
01-06-2008, 23:18
hi all im back to these helpful forums once again here goes:

i have a belkin wireless g mimo cable router which connects to my VM atlantic modem since ive had my belkin router ive had major problems with it with my downloads freezing and browsing losing connection. But if i use just the VM modem on its own my internet is perfect so when i download things this is what i do to keep a decent download connection. i had to install a new mobo yesterday as my old one died and the old mobo had a INTEL chipset my VM modem worked fine with it, my new mobo im using now is using a nvdia nforce ethernet controller and for some reason i cant get a connection just using my VM modem and can only get a connection using it through the belkin router which is no good for me as my downloads are still freezing even with my new mobo, hope im not confussing things, here apart from buying a new cable router is there anything im missing or can do to solve this mystery?

PS when using the VM modem the status says identifying network and everything is blank in the ipv4 dhcp server /ipv4dhcp gateway etc.
Also using Vista X64

homealone
01-06-2008, 23:46
Have you checked whether there are any updated drivers for the N-Force chipset that are more compatible with Vista X64?

Deank
01-06-2008, 23:50
Have you checked whether there are any updated drivers for the N-Force chipset that are more compatible with Vista X64?
yes im using a updated beta version at the moment and that made no difference

alexuk
02-06-2008, 00:03
Can you post which mobo you have?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33632511-realtek-buffalo-dhcp-problem-simply-faulty.html

Deank
02-06-2008, 00:15
Can you post which mobo you have?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33632511-realtek-buffalo-dhcp-problem-simply-faulty.htmlhi i have a Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 mobo

Angry@VMedia
02-06-2008, 00:34
Sorry to jump in here, but did you power-cycle your cable modem & router at all?
Just saying as when you got a new mobo, it would have been a different MAC address, and to "refresh" it a power down is required.

As a side note, I have always had problems with Belkin wireless equipment, first it was a Belkin router, then the Wireless PCI card, and now that I have a new desktop machine built up, the only option I had due to low funds was a Belkin 54G wireless PCI card, and it really dont like my machine being put into standby or hibernation, and it does disconnect quite a bit, so as soon as I have the spare cash, its a new wireless card for me & the belkin can be thrown in the bin!

TheDon
02-06-2008, 00:50
Sorry to jump in here, but did you power-cycle your cable modem & router at all?
Just saying as when you got a new mobo, it would have been a different MAC address, and to "refresh" it a power down is required.

This will be the issue.

Your router will have cloned the mac address from your old network card and so your router and pc would have had the same mac address, that'd allow you to switch the cable between the two of them freely without power cycling the modem.

Now you have a new network card you have a different mac on your pc so the modem doesn't recognise it and you wont get an ip address as your dhcp lease is for the old mac address. You'll have to power cycle the modem for it to pick up the new mac address and that'll get a new dhcp lease for it.

If you want to switch the modem between the pc and router again then you'll also have to go into the router settings and clone your pc's mac address again.

b00gyman
02-06-2008, 13:12
I had a big issue with downloads after i built a brand new PC and found that the Nvidia ethernet controller was the fault, i was using Azureus for torrent downloads which would disconnect and just crash every 5 or 10 minutes so searched a few forums and found that by uninstalling the ethernet part only my azureus worked fine....

Just a thought!

Deank
02-06-2008, 19:36
i have power cycle down modem but still cant connect to the net via the VM modem it says connected to unidentfiable network im stuck on this one?

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

i have sorted it i unistalled nvdia network via device manager and unistalled the driver rebooted vista then detected a new network all sorted ideal

alexuk
03-06-2008, 08:11
Interesting - I'll try that with mine. Although I am pessimistic as it does the same under linux too.