PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a camper/caravan etc?

kryogenik
01-06-2008, 21:56
...and do any of you go away for the weekend?
I have a couple of friends who do. Every weekend without fail. They reckon it's unbeatable to get away even for a couple of days.

Thing is, I've just paid much more than I would like to have (I did get the best deal) for insurance on my (though enthusiasts, reasonably normal family) car, and it's kind of pushed me towards what I've wanted to do for ages - get another VW camper and bung the family in at the end of the working day on Friday and naff off for 2 days a week, simply because when 6pm on Friday rolls around it's like living in a powder keg around here, on pins all night waiting for the next scream/bang/siren.

Do any of us do this and if so, where do you go & what do you do?
:)

mr_bo
01-06-2008, 23:34
We have just bought a caravan 4 weeks ago and have had our 1st trip out on the last bank holiday and it was great fun! We couldn't go too far as our son had his best friends birthday party on the Sunday so went about 40 miles away so we could come back for the party and then return to the campsite.
It was certainly entertaining and a learning curve - a few choice words said when putting up the awning for the 1st time :) and the trip home again was reduced to about 35mph on a dual carriageway due to the weather conditions and towing it with a Ford Focus.
But certainly can't wait to get out again :)

Vlad_Dracul
02-06-2008, 00:08
I have considered buying a motorhome of a reasonable size,selling my house and living in it. I'd be a modern day traveller with all the advantages but no rubbish dumping. Imagine if large numbers of the population did this? Oh the freedom and how economical it would be.

handyman
02-06-2008, 00:17
I have considered buying a motorhome of a reasonable size,selling my house and living in it. I'd be a modern day traveller with all the advantages but no rubbish dumping. Imagine if large numbers of the population did this? Oh the freedom and how economical it would be.

I've thought of this myself. I reckon I could hack it for a bit whilst the house drop in value then get a house later.

One of the things stopping me doing this was living without broadband and a computer. Now I have the laptop and could get 3g broadband very cheaply.

kryogenik
02-06-2008, 00:25
I think meandering about the country in a motorhome is a romantic idea but not very practical unless you had a wedge of cash or had planned very well ahead! Price of petrol could play a big part these days. I believe a lot of sites aren't open out of season either.

I mean pretty much just for the weekend/few days really. Kind of escape the rat race for somewhere a bit greener with less numpty's bottle chucking..

frogstamper
02-06-2008, 03:16
I think meandering about the country in a motorhome is a romantic idea but not very practical unless you had a wedge of cash or had planned very well ahead! Price of petrol could play a big part these days. I believe a lot of sites aren't open out of season either.

I mean pretty much just for the weekend/few days really. Kind of escape the rat race for somewhere a bit greener with less numpty's bottle chucking..

Well said, it sounds idyllic, but I remember a holiday I went on in the early 90s, three weeks caravanning round the UK. We, that's myself the wife, as was, and two kids of 11 and 13 went from the south coast up to the lake district, then right up the west coast of Scotland. Lets just say a week to ten days would have been ample time, so after three weeks in such close confinement the froggie family were very glad to get home. The thought of living permanently like that with no space to call your own would be a trifle distressing, on the other hand though the odd weekend or week away at the drop of a hat does sound more appealing. As you say kryogenik, just to leave on a Friday at 6.00pm for a couple of days anywhere breaks the monotony of the same old weekend, I think my clan went wrong by going for far to long and also sticking to an itinerary that I'd prepared with almost military precision.:)

kryogenik
02-06-2008, 11:32
I think my clan went wrong by going for far to long and also sticking to an itinerary that I'd prepared with almost military precision.:)

Ha ha! Yeah, I can see how that might go awry!
I remember, ooh, about 12 years ago now, I'd had some bad luck and was fed up so took a few weeks of work, bundled the dog and a tent in my Beetle and took off up North. You could choose to be somewhere isolated or be somewhere where there was a bit of something going on. I can't see this being any different. I'm not after anything other than being elsewhere with my family and not having to put up with WWIII on the street out there! I think it's going to have to be one of those things that I need to do to try it and see. Not sure if I fancy a static place though - I like the idea of something much less organised.. ;)

loggie
02-06-2008, 19:20
I LOVE CARAVANNING! Such a convenient home from home kind of holiday!:):)

Caff
02-06-2008, 19:53
Got an old - no VERY old VW splitty in the garage - bless her and all her chrome.
Gave her an airing last week and wondered, as always, if we'd get back home though, and missed any amount of acceleration no end :D.

The attraction is more nostalgia than anything to do with memories of my parents' 'caravan' holidays though - being couped up with my parents...:shocked:. Ah well - they certainly enjoyed their caravanning hols.
Oh my goodness - either way - I Really appreciate the return to hot-n-cold-running and my comfy bed :D.

kryogenik
02-06-2008, 20:04
Nice one on the splitty Scuzz. I'm looking at another bay window (or even later for practicality - T3/T25 maybe). Picked the wrong time of year to buy one though.

Yeah, the home comforts can't be beaten. Still, it's good fun for a night or two.
I used to do all the VW shows - I think it'd be a nice introduction to that scene again if the kids/missus go for it.

Caff
02-06-2008, 21:47
Nice one on the splitty Scuzz. I'm looking at another bay window (or even later for practicality - T3/T25 maybe). Picked the wrong time of year to buy one though.

Yeah, the home comforts can't be beaten. Still, it's good fun for a night or two.
I used to do all the VW shows - I think it'd be a nice introduction to that scene again if the kids/missus go for it.

Now - that's just cheating :D

Hope you all get to go along sometime.
We accidentally got caught up in something called 'Race To The Sun' in Newquay last week - and very nice it was too.