PDA

View Full Version : Better DNS Service

Intel-Inside
31-05-2008, 14:05
Whats a better DNS Server apart from virginmedia's one as there one still sucks for me, i tried opendns but i don't like there search page when you enter something wrong.

UKOnline i found them on google they respond in less time than OpenDNS and apparently are good, are they good?

cimt
31-05-2008, 14:16
Everyone on here will recommend OpenDNS. I do too, they're very good.

Intel-Inside
31-05-2008, 14:20
My problem is, is the opendns guide page, i don't like it.

Dai
31-05-2008, 17:23
Run your own. No hassle and 100% reliable.

Google for 'treewalk'

Intel-Inside
31-05-2008, 20:47
^ Hmm, sounds like an idea, didn't think it was that easy to run a home dns.

Dai
31-05-2008, 22:49
^ Hmm, sounds like an idea, didn't think it was that easy to run a home dns.

It really is that simple. The Treewalk service on my primary '24/7' pc handles DNS for the rest of my LAN but you don't have to do that. It will cache your frequently-visited sites as well, which helps to speed up access.

Intel-Inside
01-06-2008, 09:10
Unfortunatly i can't run a home dns, i can't be bothered to run another pc in this room to run a dns, all i need is a better dns as sometimes for me its hanging on Looking up google.co.uk at the bottom of IE it did it once for about 5 - 10 seconds took quite a while, UKOnline apparently have some good DNS services so ill take a look.

Dai
01-06-2008, 18:56
Unfortunatly i can't run a home dns, i can't be bothered to run another pc in this room to run a dns, all i need is a better dns as sometimes for me its hanging on Looking up google.co.uk at the bottom of IE it did it once for about 5 - 10 seconds took quite a while, UKOnline apparently have some good DNS services so ill take a look.

You don't need to run another PC. Treewalk just runs as a service on your solo pc and is quite invisible once it's installed. Honestly it's dead easy and just works.

Alternatively try setting your dns addys to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 - they're ultrareliable.

Druchii
01-06-2008, 18:57
You don't need to run another PC. Treewalk just runs as a service on your solo pc and is quite invisible once it's installed. Honestly it's dead easy and just works.

Alternatively try setting your dns addys to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 - they're ultrareliable.
Also 4.2.2.2.3, aren't they Verizons?

Dai
01-06-2008, 18:59
Also 4.2.2.2.3, aren't they Verizons?

4.2.2.1 through 4.2.2.6 I think are Level3 public dns servers. Available to all. Possibly not the fastest but they always seem to work.

Druchii
01-06-2008, 19:00
4.2.2.1 through 4.2.2.6 I think are Level3 public dns servers. Available to all. Possibly not the fastest but they always seem to work.
Ahh, level 3. I seem to remmeber pinging one and getting a response from ...something.verizon.com

kryogenik
01-06-2008, 19:14
Just tried Open DNS on this machine again - it stopped working for me for a long time but is working again now.
Such an amazing difference...

:edit: this machine is the wireless lappy with Vista and loves Open DNS.
But.. If I use Open DNS's servers on the XP main machine hard wired to the router, it refuses to connect to any site.
Very odd.

adam.ford
02-06-2008, 07:27
Whats a better DNS Server apart from virginmedia's one as there one still sucks for me, i tried opendns but i don't like there search page when you enter something wrong.

UKOnline i found them on google they respond in less time than OpenDNS and apparently are good, are they good?

Why does virgin media's DNS suck for you? :(

- Which virgin DNS servers are you using?
- Which websites go slow?
- Did you use any dns test tools, what were the results?

One difference i have noticed is if a domain has failed DNS servers (which don't respond) - Virgin's return SERVFAIL after a 5 second timeout, whereas opendns return a DNS entry anyway which points you off to this page http://guide.opendns.com/?url=67.215.66.132&servfail

Other than that VM's DNS seems to respond twice as fast pretty reliably to successful lookups!

I'd love to be able to replicate this, and get poor service from their DNS servers so we can tell VM whats wrong and ask them to fix it! :)

Adam.

DC_FC79
02-06-2008, 22:42
Can someone explain what opendns is, how is it faster