PDA

View Full Version : Ping and Tracert timing out

Taf
30-05-2008, 18:00
Support asked me to provide with traces to help solve a problem I am having with my BB connection (sudden loss of connection and ready light flashing).

I duly tried to do both tracerts and pings to various (well known) sites. Every single test timed-out every time! But my browser takes me to the sites with no problems.

This is a new thing as I have done these tests many times in the recent past, the firewall is set to allow these programs, and I have not updated any kit apart from my ancient NTL120 modem being swapped for a 256 a few days ago.. I connect via a wired router, using WinXP.

Any ideas? :dunce:

moaningmags
30-05-2008, 19:24
1st thing I'd try is a direct connection to the modem.
Rules the router in or out regardless of whether it worked fine previously.
If still the same issue with router removed, i'd then shut down my firewall.
If the issue still the same post back to support group and let them know all the
steps you have taken.

HTH

dev
30-05-2008, 19:31
where do the tracerts time out?

for example, people doing a tracert to my server won't get a response (and so time out) on the hop for my server and the 2 before it as they're designed to ignore tracerts

Taf
30-05-2008, 21:39
1st thing I'd try is a direct connection to the modem.
Rules the router in or out regardless of whether it worked fine previously.
If still the same issue with router removed, i'd then shut down my firewall.
If the issue still the same post back to support group and let them know all the
steps you have taken.

HTH

CHeers... will do

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

where do the tracerts time out?

for example, people doing a tracert to my server won't get a response (and so time out) on the hop for my server and the 2 before it as they're designed to ignore tracerts

Not a single one gets through with either ping or tracert

Taf
31-05-2008, 11:00
Hmmm the other PC does the task with no problem....

Took the router out, still no joy.

Turned VM firewall off, still no joy.

Checked to make sure Windoze Firewall had not turned itself on, it was off.

Now getting confused....

Richy99
31-05-2008, 11:03
so 1 pc works but 1 doesnt?

Taf
31-05-2008, 11:12
Yup, there must be some software (antispyware or whatever) that's causing it I think, but both machines have the same, and they're both up-to-date...

Taf
31-05-2008, 14:32
VM support solved it... reset PCGuard Firewall to default... it was screwed internally somewhere...

Axegrinder
31-05-2008, 20:00
Good ol PCguard doing causing more problems than solving them ;).