PDA

View Full Version : website issues

markeh
30-05-2008, 17:26
Well a month ago I decided to move back to UK hosting from US hosting (Since I'm from the UK) to give me and my friends better speeds but for some reason my network/Internet seems to have a big issue with my websites when they are hosted on UK servers.

My sites will often go off line for a matter of seconds up to a matter or hours, and its just for me. I can access the websites while there down though web proxies, and all my friends I ask can access them fine. My main problem is I get a lot of "The connection has timed out". It is very frustrating when in the middle of coding or blogging it suddenly cuts out. The problem normally happens once I have been on the website along time normally refreshing over 200 times. (hence when testing and fixing bugs.)

When I ping the domains it pings fine and I get a normal 20 ping response, but yet the connection still errors out. I have tried DNS flushing and other alike commands to no success.

The fact that when I had a US hosted site I had no problems shows that it is not my network to blame.

Things to note:

I am with Virgin Media (M Package)
On a wireless network
I have only had the issue when my websites have been hosted on UK based servers.

Anyone had similar experiences or problems of websites just cutting off then working after a few refreshes?

Kymmy
30-05-2008, 17:33
Sounds more like DNS issues, have you tried openDNS???

Kymmy

dev
30-05-2008, 19:33
Sounds more like DNS issues, have you tried openDNS???

Kymmy

if he can ping it via the domain then DNS is fine, who the hell started the fad of blaming DNS for all connection issues? :td:

markeh
30-05-2008, 19:38
I remember when I was with with NTL I used to use on of there proxy (Found here (http://ben.cheetham.me.uk/resources/net/ntl-proxy-list)) so if any sites stopped working I could just change proxy and then it would work.

I found that Virgin have release a proxy "webcache.virginmedia.com" and after adding it to my firefox browser the sites work fine now.

whydoIneedatech
30-05-2008, 19:42
I remember when I was with with NTL I used to use on of there proxy (Found here (http://ben.cheetham.me.uk/resources/net/ntl-proxy-list)) so if any sites stopped working I could just change proxy and then it would work.

I found that Virgin have release a proxy "webcache.virginmedia.com" and after adding it to my firefox browser the sites work fine now.

You forgot the port number 8080