PDA

View Full Version : Mouse problem

LondonRoad
30-05-2008, 11:51
No not a computer mouse!! I've got an infestaton of mice underneath decking in my garden. I phoned my local environmental health and they said the only thing they would do is come out and poisin them. I've got young children who play in the garden so I don't really fancy poisin lying about.

Anybody out there had this problem and how did you deal with it?

greencreeper
30-05-2008, 11:53
It's either:

Poison
Traps
Cat

Poison and traps could be left under the decking, out of the way of the kids. As for a cat, you need a good mouser - not something that will sit in the kitchen waiting for the free food.

LondonRoad
30-05-2008, 12:10
Thanks for the response. The good lady is allergic to cats so it would either be her or the cat. From what I've heard cats can't iron very well so I think I'll have to keep the Mrs.

Underneath the decking isn't very accessible (unless you're a mouse) so putting anything under there is nigh impossible. That was another reason I don't really want to use poisin. I've got visions of dead mice quietly rotting underneath the decking. Not quite the fragrance you want whilst firing up the BBQ!!

I know where they are entering and exiting so I think I'll put traps there when the kids aren't about.

Wicked_and_Crazy
30-05-2008, 12:12
They normally put the poison in a box.

I tend to use old fashioed traps when we get them, but again, a bit iffy with kids around

Halcyon
30-05-2008, 12:14
First thing I would do is block off the places you think they are getting in through.

Wicked_and_Crazy
30-05-2008, 12:18
First thing I would do is block off the places you think they are getting in through.

To do that it would have to be almost air tight, pesky things can get in very small gaps

LondonRoad
30-05-2008, 12:48
To do that it would have to be almost air tight, pesky things can get in very small gaps

I know where they're getting in and out but I don't want to block it off until I've got rid of them, otherwise they'll just die under there and start smelling.

I think I'll try traps when the kids aren't around. I know in Tom and Jerry cartoons they use cheese but I think I've heard that Mice don't actually like cheese!! What's the best thing to use for bait.?

spiderplant
30-05-2008, 12:53
You could leave them alone. We enjoy watching the mice in the garden. As long as they don't come in the house, they are not a problem.

If you really want rid, you could try an ultrasonic mouse scarer, such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Cheese-Mouse-Repeller-Four/dp/B000LJ56OA.
We have ultrasonic cat scarers, which are moderately effective.

Spot the mouse:

spiderplant
30-05-2008, 12:56
I think I've heard that Mice don't actually like cheese!! What's the best thing to use for bait.?
Peanut butter. It sticks well to the trap, doesn't go off quickly, and mice love it. (Just to prove I'm not a complete muscophile(?)).

LondonRoad
30-05-2008, 13:05
Thanks spider. I have thought about leaving them alone but I've read they do carry a lot of disease. My back garden is like a playground at times with kids 6 and under. I think I'll have to live with the guilt of committing mouseicide!!

Saaf_laandon_mo
30-05-2008, 13:09
I know where they're getting in and out but I don't want to block it off until I've got rid of them, otherwise they'll just die under there and start smelling.

I think I'll try traps when the kids aren't around. I know in Tom and Jerry cartoons they use cheese but I think I've heard that Mice don't actually like cheese!! What's the best thing to use for bait.?

We had mice in the house a while back. Tried the poison pellets and we'd find that the mice would eat it, but still come back. Eventually went for proper old fashioned traps, and killed 4, and not had any mice since. As for bait we used peanut butter (which was recommended).

The only one squeamish moment I had was when there was a mouse caught in the trap but not dead. Still makes me shiver when I think about that one.

Ive tried the ultra sound gadgets, we have one in the kitchen but I dont think these work.

Hey Spiderpalnt, thats one nice garden you have there.

homealone
30-05-2008, 13:55
Another vote for traps, which was the only way we have been able to deal with a couple of 'invasions' - again using peanut butter for bait, but we also had some luck with melting chocolate onto the bait bit - same principle that it doesn't 'fall off' easily.

- once sure they were gone we did our best to block off any possible points of entry, being careful to use wire mesh where possible, so as not to block off ventilation through air bricks.

- so far so good ...

Maggy
30-05-2008, 14:45
Vermin..Get rid of one lot and you get another.I got rid of the slugs only to become infested with mice.Got rid of them and the slugs returned,got rid of them.......

Now I've got ants...

LondonRoad
01-06-2008, 16:12
Thanks for all the advice, it's a pity the bl00dy mice can't read.

The story so far.....

Bought 2 traps from B&Q (£2.98 for 2). No peanut butter in the house so I baited them with chocolate. First kill within an hour on Friday night. Success ends there.

The remaining mice (there at least 2) are just ignoring/avoiding the traps. I bought peanut butter on Saturday but no difference. One mouse set the trap off by nudging in from behind.

The question is have the mouse "learned" that these are traps because one of them got killed or have I just got crap traps?

greencreeper
01-06-2008, 16:47
It's a fine art is trap setting - greatly under-estimated. Has to be set fine enough to go off as soon as the mouse takes the bait, but not too fine that it goes off at so much as a sniff at the bait. Not fine enough and the bait will be gone. Keep the bait quantity small so the mouse has to venture onto the trap - no point sticking a giant dollup of peanut butter on the trap. I prefer a small piece of smokey bacon rind - nice enticing smell... mmm food... mmmm <crunch>

Maggy
01-06-2008, 17:08
I have to say the best answer is to get a good mouser.Mice were NEVER a problem when I had my old terrors Scrap and Scratch.

I know your OH is allergic but a week of a borrowed cat might be the answer.

papa smurf
01-06-2008, 19:52
Vermin..Get rid of one lot and you get another.I got rid of the slugs only to become infested with mice.Got rid of them and the slugs returned,got rid of them.......

Now I've got ants...

leave em be they eat buffalo :D

mouqeet
01-06-2008, 19:54
well what i did was i got rat poison and they all died like 20 30 of them and i found a rat in my grandma's house

Charlie_Bubble
01-06-2008, 20:55
I've used traps to kill both mice and rats. I wouldn't recommend using poison as other animals can get it doesn't kill them instantly near the poison, so you never have a body as proof of your success. Mice carry as many diseases and 'passengers' as rats do, so they need to be killed especially if you have children.

The two things I bait my traps with - quarter of a peeled grape or quarter of a minstrel. Contrary to popular belief they don't like cheese, they like sweet things, same as every other animal on the planet. If your traps are the ones I would recommend, they have a black plastic base and are made by rentokill. These are very good traps and I've used them to kill rats, so mice are no match for them. The bait can sit nicely inside the little circular part and the mouse has to get onto the trap to get it. Using a grape or a minstrel also helps you keep the trap clean.

Do you know where the mice tend to run? They tend to run along walls and avoid open spaces at all costs, so put the traps near the wall. Don't put it in the same spot the first one died, you never know if there could be something from the first dead one that is warning the others off this area.

greencreeper
01-06-2008, 21:17
Minstels huh - don't melt in your mouth. Suppose you wouldn't know if they did - not with the arm of a trap embedded in your head :D

Charlie_Bubble
01-06-2008, 21:21
Minstels huh - don't melt in your mouth. Suppose you wouldn't know if they did - not with the arm of a trap embedded in your head :D

9 out of 10 mice said they were dying to get their paws on them! :D

LondonRoad
02-06-2008, 09:39
Thanks for all your help, suggestions and humour again. No success last night again. The mice don't seem to venture very far from the decking. I had put some grass seed down at their entrance (before I knew I had mice). Do you think they're surviving on just eating the grass seed?

My 3 year old daughter spotted one peeking it's head out yesterday. She freaked a bit so I'm blocking off the holes during the day and I'll set the traps at night.

The traps I got are from B&Q. They seem to be OK in terms of trip sensitivity but they aren't adjustable. I've been putting them very close to the entrances (there are 2). Should I try putting them further away?

LondonRoad
02-06-2008, 11:52
The traps I have are similar to these but B&Q branded.

greencreeper
02-06-2008, 12:01
Hmmm. Not used them - prefer the standard wood/metal ones. The traps don't have to be next to the entrances - mice can smell the bait from a distance. They also create food piles, so even if not hungry they should still take bait.

Charlie_Bubble
02-06-2008, 12:07
These are the ones I recommend: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rentokil-Advanced-Mouse-Trap/dp/B000T5N0JE

You can buy them at Homebase.