PDA

View Full Version : part-failed installation

disgruntled
28-05-2008, 23:02
Jeez, where to start, from the beginning I guess.

End of March/early April I decided I'd like to end my BT contract (which I had done my 18 months) and search for a cheaper option so gave Virgin a bell. After negotiations I finally agreed a 4mb Broadband service and telephone line rental for £22.50 a month plus £30 installation charge. Installation was arranged for 16th April, the contract would start 16th April and I was advised of a 30 days moneyback guarantee if not fully satisfied. Super I thought, hmmmm.

16th April arrived and the installation team arrived. Broadband quickly installed but problems installing telephone, I was promised somebody would be out the following day to finish the installation. Next day nobody came, I gave it until 5pm and then called Virgin Media. After VM done some chasing, it was decided a new date for telephone installation would be the best way forward, a date was set for April 29th. This caused me some concern as I was still paying BT, so Virgin agreed no payments and contract wouldn't begin until 29th April. Fine I thought, hmmmm.

29th April arrived and the installation team arrived (just 1 man this time). It was a very brief visit, all he could say was he can't do the installation as the Housing Association wont release the keys to their boxes as previous installation teams hadn't returned them on time. I asked who's responsible for this situation, his reply was Virgin Media for not returning the keys previously. Fair enough I thought, hmmmmm.

2nd May I call Virgin Media and explain the situation, by this time I've given up with the telephone but willing to negotiate a new price for just Broadband. The cheapest was £22, a reduction of just 50p, give me a break grrrr, naturally I refused and got sent from department to department, finally speaking to someone who at least sounded slightly sympathetic to my situation. His only problem was he would have to speak to the installation team and then get back to me but because it was after 5pm, it would be the following day, I took his name and contact number (which I later discover is an old 0800 number that no longer works). Ok I thought, hmmmmmm.

I waited, waited and waited, days turned to weeks and still no contact.

28th May (today). Realising my 30 days moneyback guarantee is about to expire, I decide it's time to end this rubbish and after negating my way through all the many options, I finally reach customer relations and promptly tell him I wish to terminate services. I still haven't managed to do so!

According to him, my contract started April 16th so I'm past the 30 days moneyback guarantee despite a later agreement via telephone informing me different. According to him, the telephone line was ordered after Broadband was installed, despite my initial contract letter from them dated 5th April which clearly includes telephone line rental. According to him, my telephone line is up and running, this confirmed by the installation team, a blatant lie from somebody!. According to him, the only way they can now end my service is by sending somebody out to inspect my telephone line, which will happen Saturday afternoon.

Can anyone please advise me where I stand legally here?. As I see it, no contract has begun as I dont have the full service and there has been no agreement for any part-service. I'm certainly not paying £22 for part-service Broadband and certainly not paying £30 for 2 failed installations. I also believe I can end services fullstop under their 30 day moneyback guarantee. I haven't signed any contract either.

PS..on top of all this, my so-called 4mb Broadband Service actually becomes a less than 1mb service nearly every night after 7-8pm until 1-2am which I have screenshots of the speedtests as proof. When I mentioned this he asked if I called technical support, I might have if I had a telephone! Jeez, it's quite obvious this is no technical problem but a purposeful speed reduction.

Apologies this is probably too long, hope someone can advise though. Many thanks in advance.

jungleguy
29-05-2008, 22:32
just cancel services. you want BB and Telco and VM not provided it, so VM are in breech of their contract with you. I am surprised by the slow speed of BB though.

disgruntled
30-05-2008, 15:22
just cancel services. you want BB and Telco and VM not provided it, so VM are in breech of their contract with you. I am surprised by the slow speed of BB though.

That's the problem, I tried cancelling and was told they can't do that until after the engineer has visited Saturday. They seem to think the phone is connected their end which it may well be but it isn't connected in the main box in this building because they couldn't access it (not through any fault of my own).

My worry now is Saturday they may well gain access and connect and I'll be past the 30 days moneyback guarantee. Part of me is happy to keep the service if so but they need to remember whilst being without a phone I've been unable to finish with BT. I'm not paying for the last month or so twice. I'm also wondering if I do keep the service whether I should be paying the installation fee. Saturday will be their 3rd visit after 2 previous failures which is costing me time and money, it's not a very good service is it.

As for the slow speeds, after reading some more on this forum I've now discovered why I've been getting capped :o:

boroboi
31-05-2008, 19:55
As for the slow speeds, after reading some more on this forum I've now discovered why I've been getting capped :o:

naughty boy ;)