PDA

View Full Version : Animal testing - Wilkinson razors

Russ
28-05-2008, 16:41
Does anyone know if Wilkinson test their products on animals?

Derek
28-05-2008, 16:45
Dunno. Gillette do...

Download Failed (1)

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

In seriousness though from this it looks like they do.

http://www.shac.net/ACTION/newsletters/crueltyfreeguide.pdf

Saaf_laandon_mo
28-05-2008, 17:00
That cat needs some botox

Alien
28-05-2008, 20:22
Dunno. Gillette do...

http://www.laughparty.com/funny-pictures/Shaving-cat-973.jpg
LMAO! I had the exact same thought, but you beat me to it. :D

Derek
28-05-2008, 20:25
LMAO! I had the exact same thought, but you beat me to it. :D

Suffice to say it wasn't the first picture that came up in Google images. I really must put safe search back on. :D

Alien
28-05-2008, 20:29
Suffice to say it wasn't the first picture that came up in Google images. I really must put safe search back on. :D
I wouldn't have needed Google, I've got a copy of it on my drive [I think I posted it in the Funny pics thread ages ago, or else maybe that's where I originally found it... :shrug:], was thinking of looking for it when I saw your post. ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-05-2008, 20:41
Red skin, owned by Gillette, must be a Liverpool player ;)

greencreeper
29-05-2008, 03:14
Why would you test a razor on an animal :erm: Hair is completely different.

I thought you just did waxing and polishing, Russ? :D

:Sprint:

Russ
29-05-2008, 08:32
Why would you test a razor on an animal :erm: Hair is completely different.

I thought you just did waxing and polishing, Russ? :D

:Sprint:

Well, dragging this thread back on topic......:D

It's not the razors themselves, Wilkinsons do shaving foam, deoderant etc.

I'm trying to move away from animal-testing and unethical products and want to make sure as much as possible that the stuff I buy is ethically-sourced. So it's bye-bye to Gillette and lynx :D

greencreeper
29-05-2008, 10:37
Lush?

http://www.lush.co.uk/products/Ambrosia_2164.aspx

Russ
29-05-2008, 10:43
Been using them for several weeks now - but shhh, don't tell anyone ;)

They don't do razors though unfortunately :(

greencreeper
29-05-2008, 10:50
Mate at Uni - his girlfriend used one of their glitter massage bars on him. Come the morning, certain parts of him, um, were apparently discovered to be iridescent in the sunlight shining through the window :rofl: Kept finding bits of glitter for weeks.

Suppose you could always email one or two razor companies and ask about their ethical policies. Failing that, it would have to be a cut throat razor - wouldn't fancy it myself :erm:

nomadking
29-05-2008, 11:00
If a company says it does not test on animals, it's just because they are using the same formula/composition as another company that has tested on animals.

Saaf_laandon_mo
29-05-2008, 11:30
If a company says it does not test on animals, it's just because they are using the same formula/composition as another company that has tested on animals.

I have heard that too.

Stuart W
29-05-2008, 11:37
Animal testing isn't what it used to be guys, most animal testing is medical rather than retail.

We don't spray deodorant into cute bunny's eyes any more because groups like PETA kept blowing up and burning down research labs (when they weren't busy digging up peoples grandparents)

Personaly, I think testing on animals is a perfectly rational thing to do PROVIDED it's for beneficial medical reasons.
Testing on animals for consumers is just wrong on every level.

Pob
29-05-2008, 14:12
Any new chemical for industrial or cosmetic use is tested on animals. So any company producing new "magical" ingredients is testing them on animals. And most of the big companies test the finished product, too - often abroad to get around the cosmetic testing ban.

Do co-op do an own brand razor? They don't test products or ingredients and have a fixed cut off date.

Animal Aid sell some razor blades here - not cheap though: http://www.animalaidshop.org.uk/household.htm
Lots of other good stuff on there too.

Salu
29-05-2008, 16:09
Apart from goats, I can't really think of any animal that would be worth them testing razors on..... ?? ;)

PeteTheMusicGuy
29-05-2008, 16:13
Maybe Sheep I'm not sure :)

Stuart W
29-05-2008, 16:20
Any new chemical for industrial or cosmetic use is tested on animals. So any company producing new "magical" ingredients is testing them on animals. And most of the big companies test the finished product, too - often abroad to get around the cosmetic testing ban.

What utter nonsense.

We really don't need to test every chemical we produce on animals for some simple reasons.
We don't need to test industrial cleaning products on animals because they are designed to be corrosive and harmful.
We don't need to test any chemicals for which we have suitable simulation software.

It's considerably cheaper to run tests on computer simulations than to have a lab full of MANY animals to get the same results.

I get the impression that a lot of people think testing on animals is as simple as spraying hairspray in a cute bunny's eyes and watching what happens... bunny goes blind = bad, bunny is fine = good.
IF we were stupid enough to test like that, we'd need to be spraying bunny's, monkeys, pigs, mice and dogs just to get an idea of the effect on a human. All of which would be non-conclusive until after autopsy's were done on each animal, not to mention how many of each animal would be needed to be able to cross reference allergies.

Pob
29-05-2008, 16:47
The vast majority of testing is still on animals.

And the big companies that produce household products and cosmetics do commission tests on animals. Companies research and create new ingredients to differentiate their products from the competition and these ingredients are getting tested on animals by or on behalf of those companies.

Testing of cosmetics and cosmetic ingredients on animals didn't stop with the ban on cosmetic testing in the UK.