PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade tarrif (To save money?)

dragon
26-05-2008, 00:22
I know someone (family) who has the £3 for £30 (But upgraded to sky sports) but their overall Bill is often over £100/pm (sometimes wayyy over :Yikes:) Now they have no problem actually paying the bill but I think they're wasting money (lots of money) so would like to try and make things cheaper for them.

They call Landlines and Mobiles (once racked up £10 on a single mobile call, or so they say...) but I think its more often landlines than mobiles

They also like to make long calls to a friend in France (Nearly 1hr long usually at least once a week). (The calls to France will probably stop in a few months as I believe the person they talk to in France is moving to the UK)

Also they are rather elderly and I suspect that's why they haven't done anything about it as this person doesn't like to change things/doesn't want to speak to virgin about it. If I phoned up Virgin while I was next round there as long as the person was there to confirm the account details would I be able to get something done for them?

Now i'm thinking they would be a lot better off changing tarrifs as I think they just on the phone basic tarrif and By upgrading to one of the Other tarrifs they'd save More than the price difference but can anyone advice what would be the best options/tarrif to change to?

Edit:

Also if it works out cheaper to change the Whole bundle then That's fine as long as they keep their broadband and TV with sky sports
I know it was the £3 for 30 to start with but then they upgraded the TV so no idea what it is atm without seeing the bill just know they are spending a fortune on phonecalls.

I think it would be about £11 more to the monthly rental add phoneXL + Talk international + Talk Mobile (I took the price difference between the basic phone service and the XL one with the 2 options, no idea if thats the correct way to calculate it)

AndyCambs
26-05-2008, 18:03
VIP package at £85 per month would be cheaper - includes all the tv packages plus internet and all landline UK call charges

dragon
26-05-2008, 18:42
VIP package at £85 per month would be cheaper - includes all the tv packages plus internet and all landline UK call charges

Doesn't it Depend on what they've already got :confused:

Assuming its around £9 for the BB + £37 for the TV (if they had XL + Sport) + £11 for the phone = £57

Upgrade the phone service and its ~ £68 ish...

I agree the VIP pack looks like a good deal but to be honest Their pc is rather old (It's a 1600+ althon XP that i built out of spare parts a while back) the broadband only gets used for the Odd email and light browsing so they're not going to worry if its 2Mbit or 20Mbit.

I'm not sure they'd have much interest in V+ (does it function simularly to a standard STB for basic functions, as otherwise they'd have to learn a whole new system) or movies or even the 2nd STB tbh...

Only reason i was looking at trying to get them to change the phone package is becuase they are spending a fair bit on phonecalls, and by changing their phone package it should reduce their phonebill significently.

Wander if its worth asking VM if they do a Bundle deal other than the ones listed?

esdxc37
29-05-2008, 11:08
talk unlimited 24 would give them all their calls to 01 02 03 no's free for a maximum of 60 minutes at £7.95 a month
talk international at £1.50 a month would give calls to France at 3p per minute.
the v+ functions as a normal stb just the remote is different.

m419
01-06-2008, 23:01
There bill has probably come to that much because of the way they use the phone.

If you are calling mobiles regularly, then the bill will certainly get big!

Here are some packages that could save money:

M Phone Package: Free weekend calls to landlines at no extra cost (This is what they are on) They just pay telephone line rental

L Phone package: Free evening and weekend calls to landlines(01,02, and 03 numbers) this costs about an extra £3 therefore telephone line rental would be about £13

XL phone package: Unlimited calls to landlines, this costs an extra £7 on line rental, therefore line rental will cost £18 per month, however, you will not be charged for calling landlines.

If you like making unlimited calls to landlines during the above times and you call mobiles frequently, then Talk Mobile is something worth considering,you pay an extra £1.50 on top of your line rental and offers up to 30% savings compared to standard Virgin Media call rates to mobiles.

However there are also now 3 new price plans available called Talk anywhere, it works like a mobile phone plan, you get a bundle of minutes all prices below incude Telephone line rental and the minutes can be used to call 01,02,03,0845,0870,Mobile phones and International numbers. The minutes cannot be used to call 0871 numbers,118 directory services,Operator Connected calls,Reverse charge calls and 090 premium rate numbers. Details are as follows:

Talk Anywhere 200: You recieve 200 minutes for £20*
Talk Anywhere 400: You recieve 400 minutes for £30*
Talk Anywhere 800: You recieve 800 minutes for £40*

*All prices include Line rental and VAT.

Your minutes also rollover to the next month just incase you dont use them up in one month, however,if you run out of minutes,then call charges revert to standard rates where your calls cost the following:

To landlines(01,02,03): 4p per minute plus 7p connection charge
To Mobiles: Approx 19p per minute plus 7p connection charge
To 0845 numbers: 6p per minute plus 7p connection charge
To 0870 numbers: 8p per minute plus 10p connection charge

No free weekend calls apply when you run out of minutes.

A fair usage policy applies to Talk anywhere tariffs.

M phone package is also known as Talk weekends
L phone package is also known as Talk Evenings and Weekends
XL phone package is also known as Talk Unlimited

If you are in the NTL region, then Talk Unlimited local and 6p call plan is no longer available and existing customers cannot change back onto these withdrawn price plans onced they have left them.

Hope that helps.