PDA

View Full Version : No Sound

TV Tina
25-05-2008, 10:03
Hi,
Thanks for letting me join this forum, I hope you can help!

I have done some decorating and had to unplug all my TV surround sound system and NTL.

I have just reconnected it all back up and everything is fine apart from there is no sound when I watch TV.

Watching a DVD is fine.

My basic set up is

NTL Box to TV Tuner - Scart
TV Tuner to Amplifier / DVD Player - Scart
TV Tuner to Plasma - Monitor lead

I have tried mixing and matching the Scart cables (including a spare) with no effect.

The problem is only when watching TV, not a DVD.

I have phoned NTL and they are going to phone me back (!!)

Any ideas?

Tina x

joglynne
25-05-2008, 12:42
Hi Tina, important things first. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/09/12.gif to the forums.

Have a look at this Connection Wizard site (http://www.dtg.org.uk/consumer/connection_wizard.html). You can mirror your set up on it and see a diagram of how your system can be wired.

It's worth a look until someone on the forum can spot any obvious flaw in what you have done.

TV Tina
25-05-2008, 14:19
Thanks, but the connectio does not give me the option for inputting my configuration.

Bearing in mind I have a TV receiver (and the only lead to the monitor from this has ever been the monitor lead), it seems to indicate that I need phono leads from my amplifier to my tv. Although I am sure I have never had these, does it mean (in my case) from the tv receiver to the amplifier?

Ill try anything!!

Thanks for your help!

joglynne
25-05-2008, 14:47
Sorry but the link was my only shot at help. :(.

I am sure one of the other members will be along to help but it seems as though you have picked a day to post when a lot of our techy members have gone on walkabouts. They will be back,....unfortunatly....:D Didn't mean it guys, ....honestly. :D:angel:

TV Tina
25-05-2008, 15:06
Watching the Grand Prix with no sound was thrilling!

NTL are coming out on Tues if I haven't sorted it by then.

Thanks again

T x

Jonnymeg
26-05-2008, 09:05
is it a V+ box?

If so please ensure you have the scart connected to the top socket.

on in an hour!
26-05-2008, 10:48
Watching the Grand Prix with no sound was thrilling!

NTL are coming out on Tues if I haven't sorted it by then.

Thanks again

T x
tina,this sounds like a classic case of a loose scart lead,check them all thoroughly as if this proves to be the case you will be charged £30 call out charge as it would be a fault generated by yourself and not VM.push all scarts in really hard!!! ;)

TV Tina
26-05-2008, 13:52
tina,this sounds like a classic case of a loose scart lead,check them all thoroughly as if this proves to be the case you will be charged £30 call out charge as it would be a fault generated by yourself and not VM.push all scarts in really hard!!! ;)

I thought that too... but honestly Ive been swinging off the buggers with 16 veins in my neck.. they are tight. Ill try again.

Its not a V box, just an old fashioned dark blue NTL job.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Just rechecked.. they are very very tight!

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Just rechecked... they are very very tight

TV Tina
27-05-2008, 10:45
Virgin man (ooeerr!) arrived promptly at 8.15.

Firstly, he was astounded at me being a tranny, and we started off by having a long chat about transgenderism / cross dressing etc. (wehich I have to say is pretty normal when I have had workmen in etc)

Once on the subject of my Telly problem (as opposed to TV problem!), he said in the configuration I had the scart leads I would never get sound from the TV.

He altered the set up slightly, and eh! presto! SOUND!

He also said my old NTL box didnt match the rest of the electrical stuff so he changed it for a nice new silver one!

I asked if I would get charged, and he said no, he would put it down to faulty top box!

So on this occasion I think I can put it down to a (peroxide) blonde moment!

Hats off to Virgin Media. Top service.

joglynne
27-05-2008, 13:49
Great result Tina. Glad you're finally sorted. :)