PDA

View Full Version : Dying Modem?

tomdunlop24
24-05-2008, 12:58
Ive been using virgin/NTL for a long time (since the NTHW days), but recently my service has been playing up.

I'm on the 10mb connection (4mb previously). I have two problems at the moment, which i think may be due to a dying old ntl modem.

The modem (ntl:120) was connected to a WRT54G, which was connected to my computer via wireless. However, suddenly, on two wireless computers, the connection stopped working and being able to connect. I thought it was the problem of the router, as i thought the coincidence of two computers suddenly not working, was too high, and the wired computer still worked.

So i bought a D-Link DIR-615, and i decided to get a VERY long ethernet cable aswell, to stop any wireless/speed troubles. However, even after the new router, my brother's wireless computer still wont connect to the network, i have also tried my computer with wireless, and it does not work.

Recently, i have been using torrents quite alot (freeleech on a certain LEGAL webiste which ended 5 days ago:angel:), my bandwidth is very often throttled, however, since the freeleech, now it seems that my whenever i use torrents, my connection still works, but i cannot connect the internet (browser, itune store, msn) but the torrents still work. And the only way i can fix the connection is to disable the ethernet connection for around 15 minutes.

It also seems that recently i have bandwidth cuttouts (fairly normal occurance if i download too much) during 00.00 - 16.00 (non-throttling time).

So, do you think i need to get my modem replaced basically, or is this another problem?
Thanks

dannyfishcharge
24-05-2008, 19:41
I would say that at the least you need a new modem. Anything older than a 250 (small, see-thru dark blue) should be replaced regardless of any other problems. This is at least the minimum that I would do on a service call.

If you speak to Broadband support, you might be able to get them to send one out in the post.

tomdunlop24
24-05-2008, 19:58
excellent, cheers.

without telling me, my brother says that the wireless is now working, i'll still get the modem replaced, and not download anything in the next week to try and level out my bandwidth usage.