PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded from 2mb to 20mb with no difference

kevink
23-05-2008, 13:25
I've just been upgraded from 2mb to 20mb broadband package. I was told that the difference should be instantaneous but I've yet to see any difference in download/upload speeds.

My Virgin Media account shows that I'm on the XL package but my connection states otherwise.

I do still have the old Motorola SB5100 modem.

Somehow I don't think it's an issue with the PC, I just don't think they've changed my broadband package. Any help on this would be appreciated.

NThell
23-05-2008, 13:41
best thing to do is a speed test go to

gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/

download two large files i recomend

battlefield 2 demo gc.zip
d3demo.exe

watch your transfer rate, you should receive up to 2560 KBps

this is ur max download bandwidth.

check the results and see if you have any large amount of speed reduction
if your using a router connect the pc direct to ur modem

hope this helps

roland69uk
23-05-2008, 13:42
have you rebooted the modem?

whydoIneedatech
23-05-2008, 13:44
I've just been upgraded from 2mb to 20mb broadband package. I was told that the difference should be instantaneous but I've yet to see any difference in download/upload speeds.

My Virgin Media account shows that I'm on the XL package but my connection states otherwise.

I do still have the old Motorola SB5100 modem.

Somehow I don't think it's an issue with the PC, I just don't think they've changed my broadband package. Any help on this would be appreciated.

That modem is fine I have it on 20Mb, try removing the power cable at the back on the bottom and re insert after 10 seconds and it will receive its 20Mb Docsis file and you will be up and running.

dcclanuk
23-05-2008, 13:51
There is a difference alright, a higher bill ;)

Hehe, i hope u do get ur problem sorted tho. I think it might need a quick reboot!

kevink
23-05-2008, 14:07
Sorted, think I was just being a bit impatient, now getting my full 20mb.