PDA

View Full Version : problem to end all problems.. and some

-MaDMAn-
22-05-2008, 21:52
Firstly hello, used to be a member a while back but buggered if I can remember either the email or the log in lol, anyway where to start..

Pull up a chair coz this is a long one lolol

Bit of background I suppose..

I work away a lot and we used to have phone with BT, internet with orange and just a freeview box and before I went away this last time 9/10 weeks ago I said to my other half it would be so much cheaper if we get an all in one package, I was looking into sky and virgin and on a recommendation and the online twaddle of a hassle free professional service I chose virgin media.. That was my first mistake lol

So to the saga..

around the 11th of march I get online and order the 4 for £40 package and arrange for it to fitted the following Saturday which was the only time my missus could be available and I happily go off to work thinking all was sorted.. then I get back 4 weeks later to the most appalling fiasco I have ever had the misfortune to deal with, bear in mind I wasn’t here while all the following happened

22nd of March - missus stayed in all day waiting for the engineer.. No one turned up so she phoned at 4.30pm only to be told they had been out but couldn’t fit it because they were missing a dongle?? But they didn’t let her know.. Phoned the tech helpline and first they said cable wasn’t available in our road which we know is untrue as our neighbour has it.. Then they call back on the Monday and say yes it can be and an engineer will be out on the following sat the 29th march

29th of March - two sub contractors turn up and proceed to fit the TV box etc.. they get to the point of connecting the internet which should be to the pc in the adjoining room downstairs and say to my missus "sorry we can’t connect you today as the lead isn’t long enough" "ring this number and they will arrange for a longer one to be sent out" she then asked them to show her how to use the box and they said the instructions were on the table.. And then they left. she then went in the lounge and saw they had fitted a twisted/damaged box at the side of the telly and behind it was the modem with a 2 foot long data lead connecting it to the wall which explains why they couldn’t sort the internet as the damn patch lead was only a metre long (duh make the data lead longer!!), then she goes outside and the leads were trailing right across the garden and to top it all she picked up the phone to call the them and the phone line was crackling..

31th march - she phones the help line and queues for 40minutes and the "tech" on the line said to bring her sons pc downstairs to the front room to get the internet working! she said no way, I need a longer lead to which they conceded and said they would sort out for her, they then tried saying it was her phone that was crackling which is just nonsense, it was fine before. They said they would call her back on the Monday to arrange for someone to come and rectify the problems.

31th march in the evening - she gets a text message on her mobile saying "hi it’s the engineer here who fitted your virgin package.. Any problems you just let me know and I will sort them out", now she thought it was a response from the earlier call so replied to him " oh great thanks, I still have no internet, the leads need burying and my phone is crackly and my TV box is wonky" to which he replied
"Wonky box eh? You want me to come and sort your wonky box?"
She didn’t really make much of it as she did have a twisted wonky box and said
Yes, if you wouldn’t mind.."
he then proceeded to bombard her with over a hundred really inappropriate text messages over the next couple of days to the point she was saying please stop texting me.. Why are you texting me? And his reply was
"I think you are hot"

absolutely appalling behaviour

weds 2nd apr through to 9th - numerous calls to virgin complaining that she still didn’t have internet and the other problems still hadn’t been resolved and that she was getting harassed by this weirdo engineer and they kept not ringing her back, eventually after kicking up hell on the phone she got put through the proper complaints department where the HEAD of complaints said he would deal with it personally. Meanwhile my mate went round with a 15 metre patch lead and sorted her internet - which was now 11 days without it working
anyway @11th apr the head of complaints arrived and went through all the problems and let slip that this bloody engineer had done this before, he asked her to keep the messages which she had kept 80 of them as he had filled up her phone and she had to delete some to receive texts, he also said he would send out an engineer to rectify the faults and connect the internet.. She told him a mate had been round already and he said ok he would just sort the rest and look into the harassment and he was very sorry and he would be in touch in a few days and gives her his personal mobile number should she wish to ring him anytime day or night..

17th/18th apr.. and engineer turns up, changes the box, buries the cables, sorts the phone and moves the modem nearer the pc and then asks her to sign a form saying her complaint had been dealt with to which she refused.. She signed it to say the faults had been rectified and wrote on the form that the complaint was not dealt with.

He does not call her back

weds 23th apr a bill arrives for £148! 4 for £40 my arse, most of it phone bill, then on sat 26th apr we get a phone call from credit control asking if the phone activity was usual and when would we be paying? My missus said look we have an ongoing complaint, to which the operator said it says here on my screen complaint resolved!! anyway my missus just broke down and said I can’t deal with this anymore, I’m gonna get my husband to deal with this on mon when he gets home to which the woman said ok.. Here is my name and extension, get him to ring me.

So.. I get home on sun 27 of may blissfully unaware that any of this had gone on as bless my missus she was determined to have it all sorted by the time I get back as she knows I will not tolerate incompetence, rudeness or bad service anywhere at anytime and just knew I would get my grumpy from Portsmouth complaints mode head on lol

Sun 27 apr - I ring the head of complaints.. (Well he did say to ring anytime ;-)) and he was at a bbq and said for me to ring on Tues as he wasnt back to work til then

Monday 28 apr - I get on the net and read the terms of conditions from start to finish and any other info I can find out regarding complaints with virgin

Tues 29 apr - I ring this guy and I tell him who I am and that I’m appalled by the complete lack of "customer service" and frankly abysmal attitude of everyone concerned so far, not one person has rung back when they said they would.. Then I give him a list of things I want looked into

I want assurances that this man will never again be in a position where he could do this to a female customer again
I want to know where he got her mobile number from as it was never given to them and he must have accessed the database to get it
I want an explanation of why things took so long to get rectified
I want a letter of apology to my wife with regard the sexual harassment from one of their engineers
And I want one good reason why I shouldn’t a: go to the police, a solicitor and the media and B: why I should even consider staying with virgin media after this
I also want the £148 joke of a first bill looked into and quashed and there was no way in hell I was paying it til I get a satisfactory resolution to this.

He said he had apologised to which I said yes and you also said you would sort this out and call her back and you didn’t do that so you words mean very little to me at this point

anyway he said he was very sorry and that the man would be disciplined and that he couldn’t look into the bill in detail as the systems were down for the week and he would look into and definitely call me back within 7 days and that he would sort some compensation for all the hassle.

I said it had better be bloody good and please do as you say and ring me back as can assure you I am not the sort of person to just walk away from this and if for any reason he is unable to resolve the issue then could he let me know and pass it on to someone who can sort it. Anyway promises sorrys blah
End of call

I wait for 7 days and nothing

weds 7th may I ring his mobile and it goes to voicemail and I say hi Mr. **** here, you said you would ring me back regarding a resolution to our complaint, could you do so please on this number, thank you

Nothing

Thurs I was working

fri 9th I ring again and again I get voicemail so I leave a message "hi Mr. **** again, if I do not hear back from you by 5pm today with a resolution to our complaint I will cancel our package I will make an appointment with my solicitor with regard to the sexual harassment of my wife by one of your engineers, I’m appalled by your complete disregard for the seriousness of the situation. Do the job you are paid to do and call me back. Thank you

I also text the same to his phone and put a receipt on it so I know he damn well got it

Nothing..Nada..Zilch response

Mon 12th I ring my solicitor and make an appointment and I ring virgin to cancel my contract and to get the address of the legal department
And select option 4 thinking of leaving. I give my account number and then before I let her say "how can I help you today" I let rip in a tirade..
"This is what is going to happen.. I want the name and address of your legal department for my solicitor, I’m going to have sky fitted, you WILL wait till its fitted and then and only then will you terminate my services as I am not going without internet due to the incompetence of virgin media, and if you think for one second I’m going to pay you anything then you are sadly mistaken.. Sue me if you want it will save me the bloody job of suing you.. I’m sick to death of empty sorry's and broken promises, you have to be the worse company I’ve had this misfortune to deal with and I’m going to go to every media source available who will listen as people need to know. I’m disgusted by your complete and utter incompetence"

Anyway a slight pause and she said oh dear sir lol.. Please tell me what happened and let me see what it says on our system.. So again I go through the whole sorry ordeal and she said oh my god I am so sorry.. Let me speak to my manager please hold...

She comes back and says this was so serious it should never have been handled by a mid level manager and it should have gone straight to the chief executive’s office.. I can If you are willing, pass this on to them and they will definitely ring you back in the morn and I am sure they will resolve this swiftly and to your satisfaction.. Again all I can do is apologise..

So foolishly I agree

10am the following morning on tues 13th I get a phone call from chief execs office and I tell her the whole story and make it very clear that this was last chance saloon.. Especially seeing her head of complaints has completely ignored me.. There is simply no excuse, if he was ill he should have passed it on..On hol the same. she apologised profusely and promised a full investigation which might take longer than a few days due to the seriousness of the problem so I say I will postpone the solicitors appointment but it depended on how it was resolved will determine whether or not I go public and re make my solicitors appointment. She said she would call me back by the end of the day and let me know how she got on.

Anyway 4.15 she phoned as promised and said all sorted.. A letter will be in the post as the account was in my wife’s name and just to let me know due to the seriousness of the situation it was only fair she split it into two cases.. one for the harassment and one for the poor installation and that I should be aware that any disciplinary action taken couldn’t be divulged due to the data protection act etc etc.. She said it would be in the post the following morning.. Last weds

well today arrives and still no letter so I phone and tell her no letter, I’m cancelling and I want the legal depts. address for my solicitor and she said I assure you it was sent out and I replied you will forgive me for not believing a word any at virgin media has to say and if only someone had taken responsibility 6 weeks ago we wouldn’t be in this situation now and that I’m so disappointed and disgusted by the whole experience. Shameful way to treat customers. and did she not think that due to the seriousness of the situation she should of at least followed up with a call? And she said that as far as ashe was concerned the letter was the end of it that was my choice if i wanted to take it further and hung up

Anyway I get home today and lo and behold there is this damned letter..

And the response?
dear miss ****.
Further to my telephone conversation yesterday with Mr. **** regarding an allegation of inappropriate behaviour by one of our technicians, I would like to offer my apologies for the inconvenience you feel this matter has caused.
I confirm an investigation has taken place in line with our usual internal procedures, this was both impartial and thorough. Given the nature of this complaint and the confidentiality we much attach to any investigation involving a member of staff, we are unable to inform you of the outcome.
I am however satisfied that the appropriate action has been taken in this instance. Whilst I appreciate you feel this has caused you distress I am unable to meet any requests for compensation.
In recognition of the inconvenience caused when installing your service I have refunded one month’s service charge.
In addition I have refunded a further month for the time you were without service and the cost of calls whilst contacting our call centre. In total I have applied a credit of £64.23 to your virgin media account today.
Thank you for your patience and giving me the opportunity to address your concerns.
I hope this has clarified our position. whilst I appreciate this might not be the reply you were anticipating, I would like to assure you we have taken this matter seriously and virgin media will assist the police with any enquiries should this be necessary.
<VM staff name removed>
Virgin media

What a crock!! they have given friends of mine 6 months half price deals and free v+ boxes just for losing bloody sky one and another guy we know has just been given a free v+box for a relatively easy installation problem compared to ours and he didn’t get bloody sexually harassed and they offer us a sorry for any inconvenience YOU FEEL this matter has caused.
And £60 quid? I’m gobsmacked.. i was never rude or shouted just spoke firmly. I honestly think they dont think i will bother taking it further but they couldnt be more wrong.

but I Am at a loss just what to do now for the best.

if I go through the legal route which I am prepared to do its gonna cost me time and money but I know I have a great case or should I just go straight to watchdog or similar? I really feel people should know about this shambles of a company.

Your advice and input would be greatly appreciated

Sorry for the exceptionally long post but I couldn’t shorten it if it tried lolol

BenMcr
22-05-2008, 21:58
http://www.cisas.org.uk/ would be the best next step

-MaDMAn-
22-05-2008, 22:37
and just to add insult to injury ive just seen they have taken £148 from my account today.
and i forgot to add 2 other calls to 2 different other managers who both promised to phone me back and neither did and that i cancelled the mobile part of the 4 for £40 as i had to drive 3 miles to get a signal with virgin. surely when you sign up online with your postcode they have some idea what areas it works in? and cancelling that wasnt easy either.. all the girl kept saying was .. i dont see what your problem is sir..

appalling company.

anyway thanks for the link.. i have already looked at that site last week and its on my to do list.. i just wanna decide what order to do things ;-)

MovedGoalPosts
22-05-2008, 22:49
One of the worst series of events I've seen posted on here for a long time.

I can't really suggest much. I regret that Cable Forum (we are independent of Virgin Media) can't offer to escalate the matter with Virgin Media since you have already spoken to the Chief Executives Office, which is where our contacts are based.

-MaDMAn-
22-05-2008, 22:57

I can't really suggest much. I regret that Cable Forum (we are independent of Virgin Media) can't offer to escalate the matter with Virgin Media since you have already spoken to the Chief Executives Office, which is where our contacts are based.

thanks for the reply :)

would you agree that the offer if pitiful to say the least? Im not an unreasonable man and i only complain if i damned well know i have cause to as i know things happen that are out of peoples control, im not naive in these things and i told the lady at the chiff execs office this the first time is spoke to her, and she said no sir you certainly come across as a reasonable person and i promise to do my best to resolve this and on her word i cancelled my appointment as i was sure she would come back with a sensible resolution.
you know 5 weeks ago when this started i would of accepted a proper apology, the bill sorting and maybe our package discounted for a couple of months but now i cant even bear to look at the damn box in the front room let alone contemplate staying with them.

now im 3 days unpaid leave down and £148 and so dissatisfied i cant begin to tell you lol

any advice on what the hell i should do for the best would really be appreciated.

Thanks

BenMcr
22-05-2008, 22:58
I'm going to have a word with a couple of people I know tomorrow and show them this. It is completely unacceptable

-MaDMAn-
23-05-2008, 00:10
would anyone reckon its worth ringing the chief execs office one more time or should i just cut my losses and just go for the jugular? lol

tbh i dont want to stay with them and im like a barnacle when i get hold of something lol, but my missus has had enough of complaints and just wants it dealt with but i just cannot accept the pitiful offer and sleep at night.

regardless im gonna post this on as many sites as i can find as i think people should just be aware of the shambles that is virgin customer services and im gonna get in touch with my local paper too but dont know weather to wait until ive got in touch with the ombudsman as i dont want to harm my case.

thoughts?

thanks so far for the input.. due to the complete lack of concern shown by any of the virgin staff ive spoken too i was begining to think i was blowing this out of proportion but reading through some of the bad complaints here those people really dont know what a bad installation is lolol

chickendippers
23-05-2008, 00:42
You can check your signal very accurately: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/coverage/street-check/

(VM is a virtual provider on the T-Mobile network)

Tali
23-05-2008, 00:47
It seems to me that you have given VM more than ample opportunity to sort out the problem. On your last call, you were even told that the letter was the end of it as far as they were concerned.

I would suggest the CAB, or remake the appointment with your solicitor. If your partner still has the text messages on her phone, complain to the police too.

-MaDMAn-
23-05-2008, 00:58
It seems to me that you have given VM more than ample opportunity to sort out the problem. On your last call, you were even told that the letter was the end of it as far as they were concerned.

I would suggest the CAB, or remake the appointment with your solicitor. If your partner still has the text messages on her phone, complain to the police too.

yeah she has 80 of the texts still as her phone only holds 100 she had to delete some to recive normal texts, it was well over a hundred he sent and some of them were very offensive.

the head of complaints first tried fobbing me off with "well they were contractors and not virgin staff" which i took offence too, i employed virgin and as far as im concerned they can send who they like but they are ultimately responsible.

anyway i think solictitos and police is gonna be the only way, the cheif exec must think its serious to even mention them in her letter so i dont understand why she couldnt discuss compensation.. maybe if she did it would be admition of liabilty on their part.. thats the only thing i can think of.

hey ho. anyway thanks for your replies.

its just great to get this all off my chest in public, its been eating me up for weeks now and the support from a stranger is somehow more meaningful than your freinds going OH MY GOD NO WAY lolol

hehe

Raistlin
23-05-2008, 02:56

I can't say I necessarilt agree with this. CF may have better luck with the CEO's office that the OP has had, purely on the basis of the previous good relationships that they've enjoyed with them.

Surely for something as serious as this it's got to be worth trying?

-MaDMAn-
23-05-2008, 14:46
I can't say I necessarilt agree with this. CF may have better luck with the CEO's office that the OP has had, purely on the basis of the previous good relationships that they've enjoyed with them.

Surely for something as serious as this it's got to be worth trying?

Nothing is ever to late in my book. if someone can resolve this so it save's me any more hassle and we are all happy then so be it. Just rest assured i wont be backing down til it is resolved ;)

Anyway as i said im not naive in this things, im well aware of the litigious society we live in today where any admission of liabilty on virgins part could be used by me to sue them, But Im an old school complainer, I believe in good service and if you dont get it complain politely and firmly and stick to your guns and eventually if your complaint is genuine you will have a satisfactory solution for both parties, Thats what i thought would happen in this case when it went to the chief execs office. As ive said an apology goes a hell of a long way with me, not to be told after all this hassle "apologies for the inconvenience you feel this matter has caused", that is just plain rude and out of all of this the worst thing said so far, of course its been inconvenient! how bloody insulting to my missus and my intelligence, ive never once shouted, sworn or been insulting to anyone throughout the whole of this, when in all honesty I damn well had right to.
I do believe the reason not one person phoned me back throughout the whole sorry ordeal is they just did not know how to deal with something like this.. funny thing is i understand that, i expected a phone operator and line manager not to be able to deal with this and i said on many occasions "if you cant deal with this I understand.. but please put me through to someone that can".

(sigh) I understand reasons for not admitting liabilty for the harrassment in the letter/response from the chief exec but any intellegent person dealing with this would of bumped up the compensation for the terrible installation we had to deal with and all the hassle since to make up for it.. Has nobody at the chief execs office heard of an ex gratia payment? Now i feel that im being forced to sue them and get the police involved when if someone with a bit of bloody savvy had just dealt with it we would all be happy and i wouldnt be here now posting this. I dunno maybe i compliained to well and they actually believed me, instead of usual "my effing pictures fuzzy im gonna sue you ***** ****" idle threats they must recieve all the time. not my style im afraid.;)

anyway ive rebooked my appointment with my solicitor for next week and im in for the duration.. this is gonna cost them so much more in the long run than a bloody v+ box and a discounted package.. not just monetary losses either, i cant believe they would risk a public debacle like this.

how bad a business decision was this to **** me off

Jonnymeg
26-05-2008, 09:23
Honest opinion:

If it were my Mrs who was subject to this i would not be trying to get 'a free V+ box' and whilst i sympathize 100% with you i shocked that you see this (or cash) as a successful resolution.

I would be visiting the police and making a complaint re the texts and sexual harassment by the tech.

I would cancel all my services with the provider and move elsewhere.

I would also visit the small claims court and file a claim against the head of VM for the monies lost and let him deal with that.

TheNorm
26-05-2008, 09:46
Honest opinion:...

I agree with this. You have been more than fair with VM, why give them another chance to ignore you?

-MaDMAn-
26-05-2008, 13:30
Honest opinion:

If it were my Mrs who was subject to this i would not be trying to get 'a free V+ box' and whilst i sympathize 100% with you i shocked that you see this (or cash) as a successful resolution.

I would be visiting the police and making a complaint re the texts and sexual harassment by the tech.

I would cancel all my services with the provider and move elsewhere.

I would also visit the small claims court and file a claim against the head of VM for the monies lost and let him deal with that.

I totally get what you are saying but i assumed wrongly that a top level manager from the ceo office would have dealt with this swiftly and to everyones satisfaction. Also i have very limited options when it comes to broadband, i live so far away from the main box that the max speed i can get is under 2meg on a bt line... I am actually very happy with the subscribed to services now they are all working as they should.

also if this was just down to me i would of got home and immediately gone to the police and dissed them in every public way i could.. but i have my wifes feelings to consider too and she has had enough of it all.

there is no reason for me to get rid of a service that im quite happy with just to prove a point.. and too who? virgin wont give a toss that ive cancelled! I will only be cutting my nose off to spite my face, I wopuld feel great for 5 mins after saying f**k you virgin come get your stuff.. then i would be sat in front of my pc waiting for 20images remaining.

no, i think the best course of action now is to carry on down the legal path, they are still gonna be named and shamed and i'll be damned if they are gonna make my life more difficult by me cancelling.

I would also ask you seriously... just consider for a moment the immense task it is for a single person to take on a corporation like virgin in the courts with a case like this and if you would honestly, if crunch came to it, be able to do it yourself?. not willing but able too. Its gonna be an awful lot of time, stress and not to mention costs if i cant find someone to take it on no win no fee, with no gaurantee of success no matter what evidence or good a case we have. as ive said i am not naive in these things and have gone into this with eyes wide open.
sueing is not something anyone should consider lightly and if i could of resolved this in any other way you better believe i would do it, but in saying that I WILL NOT shy away from it.. if im forced to go down this route i will absolutely see it through til the very end.

;)