PDA

View Full Version : New build house, diagram included.

D4VE
22-05-2008, 17:47
Hello

I have just bought a brand new house indicated on the picture below. BT has been piped in with cabelling for Sky TV as there are 2 coaxil sockets in the downstairs lounge and 2 cables from this into the loft.

I want VM though. I've requested a spotter but its been a week with no reply.

As you can see from the diagram the VM cable runs about 2 metres away from my house. The Green box is 10yds behind my house, the same for the man hole/inspection cover.

I have read that VM cannot dig up new paths until the council has taken them as there responsibility. (drive infront of my house is not council but shared between me and next door) But surely VM can just run a cable to my house some how, it only needs to go under my hedge and into the side wall of my house.

http://corsasport.co.uk/carimages/7679/davehouse3.jpg

Any help appreciated

DH

TheCrow
22-05-2008, 19:27
If they wont do it im sure i can bodge it lol!

zing_deleted
22-05-2008, 19:30
problem is you wont have an acess panel type thingy for your property as it wasnt built when the cable was layed so I personally think you will be lucky

D4VE
22-05-2008, 19:33
Ahh i see. Will be quite annoyed if this is the case when the cable is the other side of my hedge! not to worry. will have to wait and see.

WHISTLED
22-05-2008, 20:27
I recon you will be ok there actually D4VE spotters aint the quickest group in our business - Stupid position IMO also

Nedkelly
23-05-2008, 15:19
Hi after looking at the pic i can not see a problem as your house is on the main road .There is cab near your house so a swept could be put in the path to get you connected .The area you live in North Hykem there is a lot of new houses down that road where they never went into :)

D4VE
23-05-2008, 16:03
This is sounding a little more promising. I am next to the main road where the existing cable runs but the actual entrance to my property is through ''Lake View Close', all of these properties have VM.

I doubt VM will pipe in any of the other new houses there at present but i'm hoping mine is a posibility, providing they can just bring the supply into the side of the house as my lounge wall is next to the main road.

Will keep my fingers crossed!

Jonnymeg
23-05-2008, 16:44
Looks like it can be done without a problem.
Getting them to do it in a speedy fashion is another story.

jungleguy
26-05-2008, 20:48
If there is a clean run from road to your property, that doesn't cross any shared drives. That doesn't involve digging up more than about 1.5m of pavement, then you'll be alright.

Your biggest problem will be a getting a field visit.

problem 1 is that telesales want to sell you Virgin.net broadband cause they can't sell you cable broadband. So ringing them up will not guarantee a spotter visit.

problem 2 is that there might not be a spotter in your area.

your best bet is to fill out this form

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/unserviceableLeads.html

cheers

D4VE
26-05-2008, 22:18
Thanks for that but i think the link to that above site has now been taken off there website. You can access it but thats it, sending the form off seems impossible.

jungleguy
26-05-2008, 22:38
the link is valid and does work, you should go to a blank page, no confirmation.

D4VE
21-06-2008, 11:59
PM replied to fella, still as yet heard nothing from VM............and wont do i suspect.

RDDearing
21-06-2008, 12:16
Looking at your diagram I can't see why they won't do it. Mine runs in a similar fashion as my street doesn't have cable but we are an end terrace and the main road beside me does have it. Construction (eventually) came out and put a cap outside the property on the main road edge and then the install guys came and did the rest. This was about 9 months ago.

Good luck and keep at them!

D4VE
21-06-2008, 12:56
Ive managed to get a confirmation e mail to jungleguys above link, we'll have to wait and see!

Could be a while like you say RDearing.....I'll keep on at them!

Jules
21-06-2008, 14:07
I would worry about the fact that there is no house there for you to live in lol

Just kidding I am in a daft mood today

colin-bennett
21-06-2008, 21:48
the pic seems to show a future deveiopment.
Please show up to date pic

D4VE
23-06-2008, 16:09
sorry, i cannot get a upto date aerial picture. didnt explain things very well. The yellow squares are where new houses have been built within the last 12months, the aerial photo must be 18months old at least.

D4VE
30-06-2008, 20:12
Still no phone call or e mail after sending them my details. Even a reply e mail or something to say sorry we cant help you on this occasion, but nothing!

No word from a spotter an either.........

BuckleZ
01-07-2008, 00:13
I wouldn't count on a spotter ever showing up, i think its just a sales fob off mostly. I requested one on 7th June, still nothing, was promised 10days over phone

Mick
01-07-2008, 01:03
D4ve, Please can you provide me with some details and I will forward this to our VM contact - like a name, postcode and contact number. Thanks.

Mr Mixalot
07-08-2008, 14:40
:erm:

Hello to everyone

I'm a newbie and in exactly the same position, moving from a cable enabled 20MB area to one where I can't get over 5MB with lovely SKY. I have been a VM customer for over 7 years and they are as helpful as chocolate fireguard.

My new property is in a courtyard but the house numbers are sequential on the road, I live at 193 and next door is 197 (they have cable), there is probably about 6 feet between both properties as there is a right of way that runs between, CS say to get a spotter out I have to 'cancel' my contract because thats 'just the way it is'

The green box is about 30 feet from my front door

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

sprattgraham
09-08-2008, 16:02
Try and contract VM on +44 (0)1256 752000 and ask for complaints they should be able to help as they can speak to the area managers.

Mr Mixalot
10-08-2008, 21:52
:)

Thanks for the advice guys but I had an amazing stroke of luck

At my old property saw the engineers laying cable for another installation, got chatting and explained my issue with the new house. He told me that they can probably work round this and to leave my number and new address and he would get the area manager to give me a call

Amazingly 10mins later got my phone call from the area manager gave him my details and he said he would get someone out to take a look / do a survey at my new property, but the best bit is that he knows my family so I may get the above and beyond the call of duty service on this occassion

If you see an engineer make him a cup of tea or get chatting never know how beneficial that 5 mins chat could be

discoade
13-08-2008, 12:44
The survey guy is probably stuck in that traffic!