PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable speeds?

nemof
21-05-2008, 21:38
What does Virgin count as acceptable speeds for their broadband?

Ie my newly installed service drops from 4mb to under 1mb in the evening when everyone else logs on. That is a drop of over 3/4 the advertised speed.

I know that there are lots of issues of capacity and contention, but will virgin care if I complain about my speed dropping this much, or does it have to be much worse?

CrowmanUK
21-05-2008, 22:40
Have a read of this mate, see if it applies to you

http://abcde.co.uk/virginmedia/stm.html

nemof
21-05-2008, 22:47
yep that sounds about right.

So basically, I get penalized for using my internet connection. sweet.

I would be angry, but i'm not surprised by anything this crappy ISP does any more.

Berealwith
21-05-2008, 23:07
i'd give it one more go to see if things improve, if they dont i would leave as your not on a high connection, as it doesn't affect much on adsl. but don't sit around in hope and make the mistake i made giving virgin chance after chance to improve..............just give them one chance if no improvement leave................................that is the best advise, honest

nemof
21-05-2008, 23:21
I lied when I said I wasn't angry! It makes me furious that I've been dicked around for months by virgin just to get internet to my house, only to find that they've hamstrung their service.

Previously when I had Virgin at my old house last year it worked just fine, so I assumed they have introduced 'traffic management' since then.

I can't afford to cancel right now, because it will cost me £50 cancellation fee. I could complain but I haven't got the energy to fight with these *******s.

I will wait till I can afford to and cancel.

To any virgin employee who reads this and feels offended, I'm sorry but your Companies service is horrific. They have turned blue yonder into a joke.

whydoIneedatech
21-05-2008, 23:39
I lied when I said I wasn't angry! It makes me furious that I've been dicked around for months by virgin just to get internet to my house, only to find that they've hamstrung their service.

Previously when I had Virgin at my old house last year it worked just fine, so I assumed they have introduced 'traffic management' since then.

I can't afford to cancel right now, because it will cost me £50 cancellation fee. I could complain but I haven't got the energy to fight with these *******s.

To any virgin employee who reads this and feels offended, I'm sorry but your Companies service is horrific. They have turned blue yonder into a joke.

If any employee feels offended then they should not read Forums.

Have a look at the TCP optimiser thread it might help.

moaningmags
21-05-2008, 23:45
Traffic Management was introduced in May 2007.

Gary L
22-05-2008, 08:47
They say that a drop in your speed is acceptable, but when it's another ISP that is giving you that same speed in the form of ADSL, they say it's too slow!

martinuk
22-05-2008, 11:50
Edit Rob: Removed - this forum does not permit discussion of methods by which cable services are obtained without a proper subscription.

yorkshireborn
22-05-2008, 13:31

when u can afford to cancel u will only have the same problem with the next isp they all have caps in place

nemof
22-05-2008, 19:07
I'm unfortunately aware that all ISPs do stuff to limit certain traffic. However, i would be interested to know if a service like BeThere has STM.

Lots of ISPs throttle p2p bandwidth during peak hours. Although that is not ideal, I would prefer that to actually physically reducing the whole speed of my connection for the whole evening.

So. Does bethere have STM? I am thinking about them, they seem to have a decent reputation.

CrowmanUK
22-05-2008, 19:53
I'm on BE at the moment mate, I moved from VM adsl ( worst service ever ) and I can honestly say its sweet, no restrictions that i've come across so far and i'm getting 14meg download speeds for 18 quid a month, so far i'm very happy with the service. If you need to check who you could connect to go here

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

That'll tell you who you what kind of services you can expect, to get the BE up to 24meg it'll need to show you O2/BE LLU on your exchange, if it is then you're laughing, and if you want to leave VM cos you're not happy with the service complain to the ISPA, its an online form and somebody from VM aftercare dept will contact you within a few days, when I spoke to them they were really good and do listen to what you've got to say.

http://www.ispa.org.uk/

Best of luck mate

ceedee
22-05-2008, 22:59
BeThere don't throttle speeds. Yet.
They doubled their number of users in the first quarter of the year and, at that kind of expansion rate, sooner or later they are almost bound to have capacity problems.

Mind you, if VM introduce Phorm, I've already decided that BeThere will be gaining me as a customer, regardless of any throttling!

xspeedyx
22-05-2008, 23:27
BE only have a FUP in place but again name a ISP that doesnt have AUP or FUP

nemof
22-05-2008, 23:40
Unfortunately I will also have to pay the standard phone line installation if I get be because the flat I've moved into doesn't have a telephone line at the moment. So, the costs are adding up.

£50 quid cancellation fee. £125 for a new telephone line.

I'm loath to leave Virgin because it took me 2 months of calling repeatedly to get them install my service.