PDA

View Full Version : 20Mb Business Broadband

Kymmy
20-05-2008, 16:10
Just had a call from NTL/TW business to let me know that 20Mb has been released.

It's not a free upgrade and the cost is £50 per month (so with VAT that's £58.75) and the upgrade fee for those already on Business accounts is £20

The speed is also confirmed at 20Mb up and 1Mbs down.

Kymmy

AbyssUnderground
20-05-2008, 16:19
Just had a call from NTL/TW business to let me know that 20Mb has been released.

It's not a free upgrade and the cost is £50 per month (so with VAT that's £58.75) and the upgrade fee for those already on Business accounts is £20

Kymmy

I think you mean 20Mbps down and 1Mbps up :) though I'd love it the other way round :)

TraxData
20-05-2008, 16:28

Kymmy

My gf got free upgrade to 20mbit...confirmed by bill.

Mind you, she did complain about the new STM on business BB.

broadbandbug
20-05-2008, 18:51
My gf got free upgrade to 20mbit...confirmed by bill.

Mind you, she did complain about the new STM on business BB.

The hours and thresholds for Business STM are different though aren't they?;)

Dai
20-05-2008, 19:14

Have they been officially confirmed? This is something I've been considering for a while and I'd like to know exactly what is planned.

TraxData
20-05-2008, 19:24

Not by much.

Angry@VMedia
20-05-2008, 19:49
Not by much.

Care to share the current STM limits for the business internet?

A friend of mine has the 10Mb and as far as we both know, we havent experienced STM on it.

Ian-Highlander
20-05-2008, 20:12
£50 a month for the 20MB line that I was effectively paying £37 a month for a few months ago on residential AND STM now on business lines??

OK I've been completely mis-sold the product, I can feel a threat of legal action coming on here. I was sold the product saying there would be a FREE upgrade to the 20MB product when it came out (due December ish I was told), I wait patiently an extra 6 months and am now expected to pay that much extra for it and on top of that they've STM'd a product I was sold as "not going to have STM on it ever" ???

Sheesh, that on top of the really really crap "static" Ip system leaves me reconsidering my options. Not impressed Virgin, not impressed at all.

cybernetic_tiger
21-05-2008, 02:22
on top of the really really crap "static" Ip system

Sticky IP's... what a loada crap :td:

Kymmy
21-05-2008, 07:50
I think you mean 20Mbps down and 1Mbps up :) though I'd love it the other way round :)

Yep sowwy...was busy at the time I wrote it :)

Kymmy

broadbandbug
21-05-2008, 09:29
Care to share the current STM limits for the business internet?

A friend of mine has the 10Mb and as far as we both know, we havent experienced STM on it.

From what I can gather... There is currently no STM on 4Mb/s and 10Mb/s Business Broadband, however these are in trial and may well appear soon.

As for 20Mb/s Business Broadband, this has got STM from Day One..

Active Window - 1800 until 2300.
Volume Limit - 5GB over that 5 hours.
Penalty - 75% reduction in speed for 5 hours.

kev445
21-05-2008, 10:08
I currently have to 10Mbit broadband with a “fixed” IP address (I used the term fixed very loosely).

I live in Plymouth and have huge problems with contention occurring.

Although I like the idea of 20Mbit, I for one won’t be upgrading for the following reasons.

1.) Speed far too unreliable to justify even a £10 increase in cost.
2.) According to the web-site you can’t have a fixed IP address.
3.) £20 upgrade fee??? I really can’t see how they can justify any upgrade fee.

The future for my business internet?
Well my business is located right next to the exchange; currently we have three internet connections, one with Enta, another with UKOnline and the other with NTL:Telewest business.

UKOnline gives me a 16Mbit download and 1Mbit upload, with very mild contention, if not any at all!
Enta provides me with 8Mbit down and 832kbps upload, again contention is very rarely an issue during business hours (used primarily for VOIP).
NTL:Telewest gives me 10Mbit down and 769kbps upload, contention happens on a regular basis, leading to packet loss.

BE internet is coming to the exchange in June, giving a potential 2.5Meg upload and 24 Meg download. I will be over the moon with 1Meg upload and 16Mbit download!

If NTL:Telewest does not improve by the time BE internet arrives, I will have no hesitation in cancelling, instead going with the expense of having another BT line installed.

It may surprise you, but we are moderate users of the internet. We use on average over all the lines about 15Gigabytes. We do however rely on the internet for our business, hence why we have a few backups just in case!

Wow, sorry I didn’t mean to go into a bit of a rant! Sorry!

PeteTheMusicGuy
21-05-2008, 11:23
I thought it would be higher than 1 meg up as it's business. STM on Business BB that is commercial suicide

Kymmy
21-05-2008, 13:18
Something interesting from the ntl/tw website that they've just updated with the 20Mb details is

and a fixed IP address (4Mb and 10Mb only).

Kymmy

shunt010
28-05-2008, 01:10
I was told some time back by someone in the Business department they would have STM on business. I also posted the details. Hang on and I'll find the post...

---------- Post added at 01:10 ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 ----------

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33631967-vm-business-stm.html

frogstamper
28-05-2008, 04:20
What's the point of having business broadband if it's subject to stm?, OK it comes in a couple of hours later at 6pm instead of 4pm but of course that means its active to 11pm. As far as I can see on the 20mb service you get a little more upload and a 5gb instead of 3gb limit before stm cuts in but that's it, for what, over £55pm that's double what you'd pay on 20mb domestic assuming you combine it with a phone, doesn't make sense to me.:shrug:

Kymmy
28-05-2008, 08:31
Depends what you want the business broadband for.

A few like myself want it for the sticky IP's and the better upload/download ratio both which you do not get on the 20Mb BBB, hence I'm sticking to 10Mb and happy.

Kymmy

broadbandbug
28-05-2008, 14:00
What's the point of having business broadband if it's subject to stm?, OK it comes in a couple of hours later at 6pm instead of 4pm but of course that means its active to 11pm. As far as I can see on the 20mb service you get a little more upload and a 5gb instead of 3gb limit before stm cuts in but that's it, for what, over £55pm that's double what you'd pay on 20mb domestic assuming you combine it with a phone, doesn't make sense to me.:shrug:

The main purpose of the Business Broadband Product is to provide a lower cost alternative to leased lines for small and medium enterprises.
Therefore the vast majority of these use the service between 0800 and 1800 (business hours) and then maybe do some file backup etc overnight.. Therefore they never get STM'd and even if they did, it would not impact their business.

The fact that some residential customers decide to take a business product so that they are not subject to the standard consumer STM limits etc is the reason why business broadband has to have STM so as to manage usage during the very peak of usage between 2000-2100

shunt010
28-05-2008, 14:52
If you need uncapped broadband then one way to look at it is that Virgin are giving you a 5mbps uncapped service.

Compare that to the price of BT, and it's not actually bad value for money.

I'm still considering going for the Business 20mb service and putting a router in the path that has throttling which throttles the connection to 4.8mbps at all times, which would give me, as far as I'm concerned, a constant 4.8mbps irrelevant of how much I use. I know I'd be wasting 15mbps during the day, but reliability is more important to me than speed.

Kymmy
28-05-2008, 15:38
Why would you do that with business BB and not residential as the only difference is a slightly higher upload and a higher STM. Surely your method would negate the STM so in essences you;d be paying an extra 20 a month for simply 220Kb extra upload speed.

Kymmy

seanyseansean
30-05-2008, 13:52
Why would you do that with business BB and not residential as the only difference is a slightly higher upload and a higher STM. Surely your method would negate the STM so in essences you;d be paying an extra 20 a month for simply 220Kb extra upload speed.

Kymmy

We have a fibre connection with NTL/Telewest Business (16mb symmetric) - they're not applying STM there are they? I wouldn't put it past them...

kev445
30-05-2008, 14:02
We have a fibre connection with NTL/Telewest Business (16mb symmetric) - they're not applying STM there are they? I wouldn't put it past them...

Hi, as you or your employer pay for an un-contended leased line you will not be subject to the STM.

seanyseansean
30-05-2008, 14:04
Hi, as you or you employer pay for an un-contended leased line you will not be subject to the STM.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be keeping an eye out though :D

Nikesh
30-05-2008, 14:27
I thought they were going to change the business side of the company to Virgin Media this year?

broadbandbug
30-05-2008, 15:15
I thought they were going to change the business side of the company to Virgin Media this year?

Still in discussion, but I doubt they will as it would then make it more difficult for them to 'spin off' the business division as a separate business should they wish.

kev445
04-06-2008, 11:39
20 Mbit Business Broadband – Not Yet!

I have been told by both sales and the complaints department that 20Mbit has not yet been released; they are simply seeking feedback at this stage.

Also they will be adding the static IP address option which isn't really static to this product at a later stage.

I don’t know whether I am coming or going with this company, i'm going to lie down!

broadbandbug
04-06-2008, 15:19
20 Mbit Business Broadband – Not Yet!

I have been told by both sales and the complaints department that 20Mbit has not yet been released; they are simply seeking feedback at this stage.

Also they will be adding the static IP address option which isn't really static to this product at a later stage.

I don’t know whether I am coming or going with this company, i'm going to lie down!

There was a soft launch.. Which I think has now closed... It is likely to launch proper at end June.

ccarmock
05-06-2008, 02:45
I have read here people talk about sticky IP addresses on the business services. Are they not truely fixed then? NTL charge extra for a fixed IP address so surely that is what they should provide?

Kymmy
05-06-2008, 07:57
They don't charge extra for having the sticky IP's, what they do charge is a single £10 payment for changing the configuration of the modem/account ;) I know it's just symantecs but better than charging monthly for a bodged service..

Kymmy

ccarmock
05-06-2008, 14:41
Hi,

Interesting - I do wonder if this varies between ex Telewest & ntl areas. I was told by ntl business that it's a £10 per month fee for a fixed IP address and that was supposed to give one genuine fixed address.

Ian-Highlander
05-06-2008, 16:36
Nope, it's a one off £10 fee and whilst they will try and persuade you to only take 1, it actually is for up to 5 "sticky" *spit* IP's

kev445
05-06-2008, 16:43
Like others have said, I am not sure if it is different if you are either in a Telewest or NTL area. However here in Plymouth it is £10 a month for 5 sticky IP’s.

Kymmy
05-06-2008, 17:07
I'm in an ex-ntl are and as I said in my pevious post it's a one off £10 set-up fee

Kymmy

ccarmock
05-06-2008, 20:36
Just been exchanging a few emails with NTL business. They seem keen to respond to all my questions which is good.

He confirmed the 20 Mb/s Business service was in trial and will be fully available from 24 June.

Initially fixed IP addresses will not be available on the 20 Mb/s service. This is due to the fact they are using DOCSIS 1.0 technology at this stage, but will move all 20 Mb/s customers to their DOCSIS 3.0 network in the future. Since that would involve a change of IP address they have taken the decision not to offer fixed IP address on this service until after the migration to DOCSIS 3.0 when they will offer it and will launch the 50 Mb/s service for business customers at that time.

He did also confirm that STM is/will be implemented on Business services but only during the evenign periods with higher thresholds. I will get the full details of that tomorrow.